archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old Today, 11:33 AM   #6281
stick n move

Re: General MBTA Discussion Thread

Blue to Lynn, electric to Framingham and Waltham would be huge imo from a housing the metro population aspect. Framingham should have express as well. Framingham has like 3,000 apartments under construction right now within 2 miles of downtown. Waltham is too close to be so far.

Boston is NEVER going to be able to build enough affordable or regular housing to house everyone... and it doesnt have to. It has one of the oldest and most extensive rail networks in the us, its just cut in half, diesel, and old. Septa silverliners, electrification, level boarding, would change eastern MA forever. With NSRL you can even start to think of new CR stations at places like union sq transfer green, northpoint, south end, Everett/Chelsea (not by Wynn), Charlestown orange community college, medford tufts green transfer, east somerville, watertown, revere, along with west station..etc. Its so much bigger than a ride from north station to south station, let alone what it opens up for northeast corridor service to maine/nh. The feds should put up half for that reason alone. 2 states are immediately added to the northeast corridor with a 2 mile tunnel.
stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:37 AM   #6282
George_Apley

^^ This. NSRL is pretty integral to the rest of Westie's priority list.
Old Today, 11:56 AM   #6283
HelloBostonHi

Anyone else increasingly concerned about the status of AFC 2.0? It's upcoming outreach events have vanished from it's calendar and it's been quietly ditched from at least the last two FMCB meetings, after being in the agenda posted online ahead of time it's vanished on the day of and not even mentioned. And the FMCB schedule from June had it on the agenda for today's meeting, but again it's vanished from the agenda posted this morning. The last news I remember hearing was unspecified delays with the contractor and unknown length of delays... Meanwhile the MTA and the same partner have managed to roll out theirs...
HelloBostonHi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:06 PM   #6284
Coyote137

Send a message via AIM to Coyote137

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloBostonHi View Post
Anyone else increasingly concerned about the status of AFC 2.0? It's upcoming outreach events have vanished from it's calendar and it's been quietly ditched from at least the last two FMCB meetings, after being in the agenda posted online ahead of time it's vanished on the day of and not even mentioned. And the FMCB schedule from June had it on the agenda for today's meeting, but again it's vanished from the agenda posted this morning. The last news I remember hearing was unspecified delays with the contractor and unknown length of delays... Meanwhile the MTA and the same partner have managed to roll out theirs...
There's another FMCB meeting today at 2, and it is also absent from this agenda.
Old Today, 12:11 PM   #6285
datadyne007

Quote:
Agreed on the concern, but the T is using the delay to resolve fare policy/POP legal things at least. The AFC working group resumed meetings the other day and one of the things they discussed was amending the MA laws to allow for civilian enforcement and decriminalizing fare evasion. So at least while the delay is happening, they are working on the legislation so Beacon Hill can amend it.
Old Today, 12:50 PM   #6286
FK4

Since I take the bus from Forest Hills to Roslindale, something I think the TV should do now, and should have done when they rebuilt the upper bus way, is this: since multiple bus routes go through roslindale, the bus routes should 1) emphasize this fact with a ôvia Ros. Sq. designation on any routes that pass through it, and 2) more importantly, group all of the bus routes that pass through the Square so that they stop in the same area in Forest Hills. A sizable proportion of people who take those routes are only using them for access to Washington Street, often the stretch between Wash and the Sq... I think this would significantly streamline passenger travel, and improve wayfinding.
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:31 PM   #6287
HelloBostonHi

Chrystal Kornegay (an MBTA board member) literally stated at the FMCB meeting today "I don't know anything about transportation planning, I just play along on TV" and Stephanie Pollack tried to save her by saying "yeah but you know about housing" and Kornegay repeated " yeah but I don't know anything about transportation planning..." Remind me why this woman was appointed to the board? She's one of the governor's buddies right? But I mean she's proven in every meeting she doesn't have a clue what they're all talking about and doesn't seem too interested to learn.

Don't forget this is the same Chrystal Kornegay who runs the public spending disaster at Mass Housing, spending $400 a night on hotels in Fort Lauderdale and Marthas Vineyard, as well as $4,800 welcome parties and $750 meals of bone marrow and venison.

Also re: AFC 2.0, I spotted it on the schedule for late September. Maybe they'll hold on to that date for once.
HelloBostonHi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:13 PM   #6288
FK4

Quote:
$750 meals of bone marrow and venison.
Mmmmm.
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:56 PM   #6289
Roxxma

Re: Regional Rail (including North-South Rail Link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whighlander View Post
Framingham having becoming the first new city in Massachusetts in forever
Slightly OT, but just to clarify (and focus on an irrational pet peeve of mine): Braintree, Weymouth, Amesbury, Winthrop, Amherst, North Attleborough, and Palmer, among several others, rechartered as Cities within the last two decades (at least two of them within the past year). In Massachusetts, cities that call themselves "town of" are still statutory cities. Selectmen (aka Selectboard) & Town Meeting = town. Council/mayor or just council = city.
Roxxma is offline   Reply With Quote