archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:17 PM   #381
meddlepal

Re: Kenmore Square North

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
This project is absolutely dreadful.

6 horrors of this cycle in you-decide order of offenses:

1. BU Science Bldg (utter/complete garbage)
2. Kenmore North (an unnecessary loss of a historically significant, beautiful corner facade)
3. 888 Boylston (the massing is ridiculous)
4. 110 Broad (in not preserving the complete low level facade/s)
5. Radian (should have preserved the original building facade as a podium and gone taller).
6. One Greenway: the squat grey sludge next to the main bldg/s is cheap and awful.
Hmm... I like all of these except 888 Boylston which isn't a bad building either but the weird decorative and nonsensical V bracing is just too much.
meddlepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:21 PM   #382
meddlepal

I can't decide if people's animosity to this building is just due just pent up feelings of nostalgia for something that was lost twenty years ago or something actually legitimate.

Sorry folks, old Kenmore isn't coming back. Time to move on. The city is changing.
meddlepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:29 PM   #383
bigpicture7

Quote:
Originally Posted by meddlepal View Post
I can't decide if people's animosity to this building is just due just pent up feelings of nostalgia for something that was lost twenty years ago or something actually legitimate.

Sorry folks, old Kenmore isn't coming back. Time to move on. The city is changing.
So you thought my posts and policy suggestions were about nostalgia? To the contrary, they were about the future.

I have no issue with developers adding office and retail capacity to Kenmore, but believe there are better ways to execute what's being done for the long-term health of the city.
bigpicture7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:31 PM   #384
kmp1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by meddlepal View Post

Old Kenmore isnít coming back but the final product here was more or less dictated by preserving the publicís ability to see an advertisement for an oil company. What an embarrassment.
kmp1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:35 PM   #385
chrisbrat

i get that the city is changing, and in many (most) ways for the better. it's a safer, cleaner, more prosperous place than it was decades ago. i also understand how gentrification works and how with the good that such evolution brings comes the "bad."

i'm not saying that unless they knock down hotel commonwealth and reopen the rat and planet records etc. that kenmore square is destined to suck -- it's more that it's undeniable that current and recent developments have turned what was a vibrant area with character into a strip of anytown, USA, that people pass through on their way to/from fenway park unless they're staying at the ridiculous hotel that was so butt-ugly upon completion that it needed to be tweaked soas to be merely "bleh."

this isn't about being against boston changing (i'm all for building tall, i'm all for aggressive and creative development) -- this is about changes for the worse that could be avoided or mitigated. as another poster noted, this particular development is straight out of rt 128 office park suburbia. it has no place in a city square -- particularly if it means entirely knocking down a detailed, unique, pre-war structure.
chrisbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:48 PM   #386
shmessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpicture7 View Post
So you thought my posts and policy suggestions were about nostalgia? To the contrary, they were about the future.

I have no issue with developers adding office and retail capacity to Kenmore, but believe there are better ways to execute what's being done for the long-term health of the city.
+1, BP7. Preserving a detailed facade and building around and over it doesn't equate to mummifying Kenmore Square. It's very forward thinking, while at the same time keeps Boston's uniqueness in comparison to other cities that simply don't have these gifts of old time workmanship.

shmessy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:24 PM   #387
guitarguynboston

Why can't we have laws/deals like we do with residental where so much affordable housing is getting built because of the high end condos. For so many exspensive and chain businesses added, so many commercial space is created for mom and pop businesses where the leases will be cheaper. So has to be done soon or all we will be left with is a few big businesses like Amazon and Wal-Mart
guitarguynboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 05:40 PM   #388
whighlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarguynboston View Post
Why can't we have laws/deals like we do with residental where so much affordable housing is getting built because of the high end condos. For so many exspensive and chain businesses added, so many commercial space is created for mom and pop businesses where the leases will be cheaper. So has to be done soon or all we will be left with is a few big businesses like Amazon and Wal-Mart
Guitarguy -- if you drive or even walk around -- you will find lots of small retail places for lease

There is no shortage of spots in older buildings for Moms and Pops to set up shop -- the problem is that unless they are selling food in some form its hard to make a successful business -- people mostly either buy on-line or Big Box
whighlander is offline   Reply With Quote