archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Boston Architecture & Urbanism

Boston Architecture & Urbanism Discussions and photos regarding Boston area architecture and urbanism.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-24-2018, 12:45 PM   #101
fattony
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Davis/Ball Sq.
Posts: 1,679
Re: General Boston Discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRifleman View Post
How about just sometype of logical estimate?
What good are facts when you could just make something up, amiright?
fattony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 02:26 PM   #102
TheRifleman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,360
Re: General Boston Discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattony View Post
What good are facts when you could just make something up, amiright?
What did I make up? All I asked for was an estimate on overall construction costs in the city per square foot.
What is the average? 80, 100, 120 per square foot.
I don't have specific plan.

Its equivalent of asking how much are rents going for in Somerville at this point? 2,000 2,400 3,000 2 Bedrooms?

Please enlighten me how I make up stuff up? You still upset that I called Trump to win the election?

Last edited by TheRifleman; 08-24-2018 at 02:54 PM.
TheRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 04:37 PM   #103
fattony
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Davis/Ball Sq.
Posts: 1,679
Re: General Boston Discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRifleman View Post
What did I make up? All I asked for was an estimate on overall construction costs in the city per square foot.
What is the average? 80, 100, 120 per square foot.
I don't have specific plan.

Its equivalent of asking how much are rents going for in Somerville at this point? 2,000 2,400 3,000 2 Bedrooms?

Please enlighten me how I make up stuff up? You still upset that I called Trump to win the election?
dshoost offered you a well documented, fact-based resource for estimating construction costs. You ignored him. If you ignore the facts, what is left?
fattony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 05:29 PM   #104
bakgwailo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 729
Re: General Boston Discussion.

Riffle ignore facts? Fake news, I don't believe it.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 06:34 PM   #105
TheRifleman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,360
Re: General Boston Discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
Riffle ignore facts? Fake news, I don't believe it.
It’s all fake news
CNN—the 24 hour Trump hating center (do they report any other news?)
20+trillion owed national debt
600billion dollar budget deficit

Monsanto “roundup” causes cancer jury awards janitor 300 million.
FDA approve the product. FBI launches investigation against trump as Monsanto is allowed to poison the American masses with this product.

I don’t like trump but the fact Democrats allowed Hilary to rig the DNC primary in alone should be treason.

You need to open up your eyes unless you support this type of corruption.
TheRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:09 AM   #106
shmessy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,242
Re: General Boston Discussion.

Was perusing the article in the Business section of the Globe this morning about the possibilities of a Springfield-Worcester-Boston hugh speed rail now that the dems have the house and Neal and McGovern are going to be chairing key committees. I always like to read the "vox populi" comments sections at the ends of these. One of the inevitable (they always pop up lie zits) "Oh but the Big Dig had cost overruns and was a mess for everyone" posts appeared. Someone however answered with a great question - "What would Boston look like today if it never had the Big Dig?"

I think this would be a great question to ponder when the knee-jerkers recite the "Oh, the costs" complaint.
shmessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:25 PM   #107
TheRifleman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,360
Re: General Boston Discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmessy View Post
Was perusing the article in the Business section of the Globe this morning about the possibilities of a Springfield-Worcester-Boston hugh speed rail now that the dems have the house and Neal and McGovern are going to be chairing key committees. I always like to read the "vox populi" comments sections at the ends of these. One of the inevitable (they always pop up lie zits) "Oh but the Big Dig had cost overruns and was a mess for everyone" posts appeared. Someone however answered with a great question - "What would Boston look like today if it never had the Big Dig?"

I think this would be a great question to ponder when the knee-jerkers recite the "Oh, the costs" complaint.
Lets just print another 5 Trillion dollars and build windmills with flowers & unicorn decals on them. Anybody can print unlimited amount of money and build anything they want. The problem you have is hardworking taxpaying citizens pay for this stupidity and that's why the majority of hardworking American Taxpayers could never afford to even buy a condo in downtown Boston to enjoy the benefits of the Big Dig.

The Big Dig was a great idea but was mismanaged. And more infrastructure ideas are needed and should be supported by the taxpayers. But how can a 3 Billion dollar quote turn into a 26 Billion dollar job. Need accountability.
TheRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:45 PM   #108
Jouhou
Senior Member
 
Jouhou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Posts: 598
Re: General Boston Discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRifleman View Post
It’s all fake news
CNN—the 24 hour Trump hating center (do they report any other news?)
20+trillion owed national debt
600billion dollar budget deficit

Monsanto “roundup” causes cancer jury awards janitor 300 million.
FDA approve the product. FBI launches investigation against trump as Monsanto is allowed to poison the American masses with this product.

I don’t like trump but the fact Democrats allowed Hilary to rig the DNC primary in alone should be treason.

You need to open up your eyes unless you support this type of corruption.
Dude, I'm so confused about your views right now. And ffs if you don't like cnn we have necn in New England.
Jouhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:34 PM   #109
shmessy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,242
Re: General Boston Discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRifleman View Post
Lets just print another 5 Trillion dollars and build windmills with flowers & unicorn decals on them. Anybody can print unlimited amount of money and build anything they want. The problem you have is hardworking taxpaying citizens pay for this stupidity and that's why the majority of hardworking American Taxpayers could never afford to even buy a condo in downtown Boston to enjoy the benefits of the Big Dig.

The Big Dig was a great idea but was mismanaged. And more infrastructure ideas are needed and should be supported by the taxpayers. But how can a 3 Billion dollar quote turn into a 26 Billion dollar job. Need accountability.
If you can control your hysteria, how about answering the fackkin' question?

Economics is INPUTS and OUTCOMES. People who look at only one side are crappy economists.

What would Boston be today without the Big Dig? How much of that $26 billion has Boston recouped - - would you say it is fractions or is it multiples?

It's a direct question. Are you adult enough to give a direct answer?

.

Last edited by shmessy; 11-13-2018 at 09:58 AM.
shmessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 10:28 AM   #110
Justin7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,497
Re: General Boston Discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jouhou View Post
Dude, I'm so confused about your views right now. And ffs if you don't like cnn we have necn in New England.
You will feel better if you block him and I will feel better if you stop responding to his posts.
__________________
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:22 PM   #111
Charlie_mta
Senior Member
 
Charlie_mta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,229
Re: General Boston Discussion.

The Big Dig was quite a bit cheaper than at first glance if you consider the following:

- The Ted Williams Tunnel and it's approach expressways were a totally added on route, not a replacement, so their cost should not be included in any argument. These probably would have been built in one form or another with or without the Big Dig.
- The old elevated Central Artery and its bridge over the Charles River had reached the end of their life cycle and ALL needed complete replacement, as well as widening. A new, wider elevated highway and Charles River bridge would have been in the many $ billions to build. Then what would we have? Just another blighting elevated highway with none of the massive development that's happened from putting the Central Artery underground.

So, considering these, the cost wasn't that great, and is being repaid handily with massive new development.
Charlie_mta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 08:48 AM   #112
shmessy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,242
Re: General Boston Discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmessy View Post
If you can control your hysteria, how about answering the fackkin' question?

Economics is INPUTS and OUTCOMES. People who look at only one side are crappy economists.

What would Boston be today without the Big Dig? How much of that $26 billion has Boston recouped - - would you say it is fractions or is it multiples?

It's a direct question. Are you adult enough to give a direct answer?

.
Evidently, nothing but crickets chirping from Trifleman...........


.
shmessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:37 AM   #113
TheRifleman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,360
Re: General Boston Discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmessy View Post
If you can control your hysteria, how about answering the fackkin' question?

Economics is INPUTS and OUTCOMES. People who look at only one side are crappy economists.

What would Boston be today without the Big Dig? How much of that $26 billion has Boston recouped - - would you say it is fractions or is it multiples?

It's a direct question. Are you adult enough to give a direct answer?
.
Any city in this country would benefit somehow with 26 Billion Tax dollars in infrastructure improvements by multiples.

The problem your missing is when a state project is quoted at 3 billion in tax dollars then runs to 26+Billion in costs without any accountability then our system is broken.

The banks, the states, federal Govt, agencies are all broken. 20+Trillion in Govt debt factor 100's of Trillion owed in SS & Medicare--- Govt and state Pensions, Govt Spending has reached levels of no return.
The Govt officials will continue to change the rules on the American Sheep to kick the can down the road, Age Limits, Contracts basically the Govt will wait till your dead before they pay you SS and claim its for America.

In 10 years you won't even recognize what freedom was and most people that live in our country have sacrificed their personal TIME with your family for material shit) Phone, Shelter, Car, Insurance

Ask yourself this. If the economy was so good why can't our Govt balance their budget? Why are these pensions feeling across the country?

The Media never talks about this.

Most Americans can't get out of their own way and heavily medicated by BIG PHARMA. Great solution as the wolfs tend to the hen house. Keep the party going.

Last edited by TheRifleman; 11-15-2018 at 09:49 AM.
TheRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:46 AM   #114
statler
Moderator
 
statler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Approaching a City
Posts: 7,545
Re: General Boston Discussion.

Hmm, I never considered BIG PHARMA's role in the CAT cost-overruns. Intriguing. Lemme get out another piece of yarn.

statler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:51 AM   #115
TheRifleman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,360
Re: General Boston Discussion.

^^^^^^
How do you quote 3 Billion dollar project that turns into 26 Billion?
Only heavily Medicated individuals that are delusional.

Just because Boston improved based on 26 Billion in infrastructure improvements that money had to be taken from something. Like the quality of life of the American Taxpayers with a devalued dollar.

Do you even know how much a Trillion dollars is compared to a Billion?



Money is America's freedom the Govt mishandled our financial freedom.

Last edited by TheRifleman; 11-15-2018 at 10:05 AM.
TheRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:00 PM   #116
shmessy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,242
Re: General Boston Discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRifleman View Post
Any city in this country would benefit somehow with 26 Billion Tax dollars in infrastructure improvements by multiples.......

.
OMG, your very first sentence!!!!!

If the benefit is MULTIPLES (which is the term you used there), why the &&^&)%*&$$^$ wouldn't any sane entity not jump at the chance to spend that $26 billion on infrastructure?

THINK. Try it for just a millisecond.

Hell, if it were $100 billion and the benefit turned out to be "mulitples" of that, any sane entity should do it also.

You have no clue about economics......even a third grade child would laugh at your argument.

Economics is Cost vs. Benefits. You only see Cost, so you have no idea what economics is.

But, HERE is a good example of Cost with no Benefits:

Scene 1: President screws up American farmers with his petulant global trade war hissy fit
Scene 2: President takes $12 billion out of the taxpayers pockets to pay the farmers for their losses due to his hissy fit.

THAT right is a perfect example of cost with no benefits.

You're welcome.

.

Last edited by shmessy; 11-15-2018 at 12:15 PM.
shmessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:48 PM   #117
tangent
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,535
Re: General Boston Discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRifleman View Post
How do you quote 3 Billion dollar project that turns into 26 Billion?
Preliminary cost estimates quoted by politicians in old dollars are not "quotes" in the construction sense. I agree in some sense there were cost overruns, but $3 billion represents a congressional political number that was low balled to get the ball rolling in Congress. Those congressmen are mostly dead or retired now and the US government seems a bit better at making sure that projects have realistic milestones for project planning now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRifleman View Post
Just because Boston improved based on 26 Billion in infrastructure improvements that money had to be taken from something. Like the quality of life of the American Taxpayers with a devalued dollar.

Do you even know how much a Trillion dollars is compared to a Billion?

Money is America's freedom the Govt mishandled our financial freedom.
I would have agreed with you $20 trillion dollars ago. But right now we don't have the monetary system you think we have. We have a debt based monetary system. Debt represents money put into the economy. I don't think it should be represented on the books of the Federal Government as debt... because it isn't. It is mostly held by the Federal Reserve which created new money to buy that debt. We simply haven't seen all that new money having the effect you think it should have. The US dollar is not really that devalued and inflation hasn't been a problem.

If anything it looks to me like the US doesn't have enough circulating money to provide liquidity to all the things that need doing.
tangent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 12:50 PM   #118
TheRifleman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 4,360
Re: General Boston Discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmessy View Post
OMG, your very first sentence!!!!!

If the benefit is MULTIPLES (which is the term you used there), why the &&^&)%*&$$^$ wouldn't any sane entity not jump at the chance to spend that $26 billion on infrastructure?

THINK. Try it for just a millisecond.

Hell, if it were $100 billion and the benefit turned out to be "mulitples" of that, any sane entity should do it also.

You have no clue about economics......even a third grade child would laugh at your argument.

Economics is Cost vs. Benefits. You only see Cost, so you have no idea what economics is.

But, HERE is a good example of Cost with no Benefits:

Scene 1: President screws up American farmers with his petulant global trade war hissy fit
Scene 2: President takes $12 billion out of the taxpayers pockets to pay the farmers for their losses due to his hissy fit.

THAT right is a perfect example of cost with no benefits.

You're welcome.

.

Then why not give every city 26Billion in tax dollars in infrastructure costs throughout our nation? If it betters everything by "multiples"
This is why we have such a deep divide from the coastal cities vs middle & south of America.

Why not give everybody tax incentives and breaks for their skyscraper projects? If you really believe its a zero sum game.
Why not just give everybody $100,000 dollar checks it will go right back to the economy right?

The only reason Boston is doing amazing is because of MIT and Cambridge Ma along with the unlimited potential of Biotech to better humanity life.

Cambridge Mass is truly the main location for innovation for our planet.
TheRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:29 PM   #119
shmessy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,242
Re: General Boston Discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRifleman View Post
Then why not give every city 26Billion in tax dollars in infrastructure costs throughout our nation? If it betters everything by "multiples"
This is why we have such a deep divide from the coastal cities vs middle & south of America.

Why not give everybody tax incentives and breaks for their skyscraper projects? If you really believe its a zero sum game.
Why not just give everybody $100,000 dollar checks it will go right back to the economy right?

The only reason Boston is doing amazing is because of MIT and Cambridge Ma along with the unlimited potential of Biotech to better humanity life.

Cambridge Mass is truly the main location for innovation for our planet.
If the benefit of the cost is (in your own words) "Multiples", then why not do it?

So let me get this straight, Rifleman: If tomorrow, you could be certain that spending $25 billion on the NSRL, the Blue-Red Connection and Blue Extension to Lynn would bring a low "multiple" of three ($75 billion) in benefits to the region within 20 years - - - what would you decide?

I'm fascinated to hear your answer.


.

Last edited by shmessy; 11-15-2018 at 01:43 PM.
shmessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 01:44 PM   #120
shmessy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,242
Re: General Boston Discussion.

BTW, regarding your statement about Cambridge and the Biotech sector there.......please tell me what that looked like BEFORE the Big Dig?

Yes, the educators and students were always there.

Hmmmm......but what OTHER types of people are there NOW? Duh, ya think investors/entrepeneurs like to be able to get from the airport to Kendall Square?

THINK.

Maybe people like you prefer the Boston/Cambridge of 1979.
shmessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
General MBTA Discussion Thread Waldorf Transit and Infrastructure 5499 Yesterday 01:47 PM
Live Music in Boston/Musical Culture/By Extension, Culture in General FK4 General 5 11-21-2014 10:25 AM
Boston Graphene Economy Discussion stellarfun General 18 04-22-2014 01:22 PM
General Real Estate/Rental Discussion BostonUrbEx Boston Architecture & Urbanism 5 04-16-2012 02:46 PM
aB Awards General Discussion statler 2008 Awards Nominations & Discussion 10 02-18-2009 06:40 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.