archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2018, 05:21 PM   #21
Arlington
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West Medford, MA
Posts: 3,348
Re: Big Dig Tunnel--

Aren't there dangling chains or something that you're supposed to hit long before you get into the tunnel? (in addition to a break-beam and a directed bell?) What pre-warning is there?

The operator and company SHOULD get into ALL kinds of civil, criminal, and financial trouble for this, but as the public, wouldn't we prefer to have a tripwire / exploding dye pack / surface-to-surface missiles to stop this guy long before he gets into the expensive and dangerous tunnel?
__________________
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:50 PM   #22
mass88
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,828
Re: Big Dig Tunnel--

This is negligence on the part of the carrier plain and simple. You need to know the load you're carrying - it's height for example - and be cognizant of the road you're traveling on. A lot of trucking companies use mapping software (pc miler for example) that will tell them things like over passes, or tunnels on the road they're traveling and the clearance heights on them. That way a driver and know they need to go a different route if there is say an overpass they know they will not fit under due to the load they're carrying.
mass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:53 PM   #23
stellarfun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: salem ma and washington dc
Posts: 4,411
Re: Big Dig Tunnel--

The truck was from Ontario, the driver was from Ontario, and the load was a piece of filtration equipment (the video shows the container was pushed back on the flatbed by the impact) from Ontario. No structural damage to the tunnel.
__________________
A man gazing on the stars is at the mercy of the puddles in the road
stellarfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:19 PM   #24
SeamusMcFly
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Brockton
Posts: 1,950
Re: Big Dig Tunnel--

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarfun View Post
The truck was from Ontario, the driver was from Ontario, and the load was a piece of filtration equipment (the video shows the container was pushed back on the flatbed by the impact) from Ontario. No structural damage to the tunnel.
Once again.
The metric system is to blame.
When will those 275 other countries learn?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRifleman View Post
You can have fun anywhere---Fun shouldn't cost the taxpayers a dime.
SeamusMcFly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:02 PM   #25
sm89
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Somerville
Posts: 747
Re: Big Dig Tunnel--

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusMcFly View Post
Once again.
The metric system is to blame.
When will those 275 other countries learn?
No. The driver is to blame here. This wasn't an inevitable event. Canadian drivers are in the US all the time. If the driver was confused by the imperial form of measurement, they should have taken the time to figure it out.

Also remember that the metric system only made its way to Canada in the 1970s.
sm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:22 PM   #26
F-Line to Dudley
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,460
Re: Big Dig Tunnel--

If it's anything bigger than the most rinky-dink of intermodal trucking companies, then these days they're all required to obey the GPS and run on their designated routes...with an electronic paper trail on the manifest showing exactly what route they took. No creative shortcutting allowed. That'll get them written up by their OWN dispatcher. A blind squirrel could make that run because virtually all decision-making on the route has been taken out of the driver's hands compared to truckers' past.

This clown probably thought he was being clever. In addition to all the damages the carrier is going to get from MassDOT, they're going to have to reimburse the container's owner for loss of the shipping vessel. When Beacon Park was still open every idiot coming out of the yard who Storrowed himself instead of taking the Pike would get shit from the state, from his own employer over the liability, and from CSX who'd fine the truck company into oblivion (and ban repeat offenders from the yard) for damaging one of theirs or their shippers' IM cubes. It's merely the truck company's own trailer that gets trashed when you Storrow a regular old tractor-trailer. But doing that with a cube piggyback is doubleplusbad because it's someone else's property that gets destroyed.

Really...it takes a special kind of stupid to pull this off in spite of the ten miles' long list of reasons you're guaranteed to lose your job over it and how much the big companies drill "Don't be stupid" into their drivers' heads.
F-Line to Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 08:51 PM   #27
stick n move
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Dorchester
Posts: 4,514
Re: Big Dig Tunnel--

As explained it was planned from the start. They didnt decide later to build on that part of the tunnel it was built to support future buildings from day 1, so its strong enough. So no no problem at all. If they try to jerry rig a building onto a part of the tunnel that was never intended to be built on then this question may be able to be asked.
stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:00 PM   #28
DominusNovus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 694
Re: Big Dig Tunnel--

I'm sure we'll find out whether the company was directing the driver properly to avoid the tunnel or whether he was just following his directions. As far as civil damages are concerned.

But when I first saw this video (I rewatched before making my 'criminalize it' comment) I thought that the back end of the trailer was another car, and that he just crushed someone. And while that was not the case here, that absolutely could have happened in a different situation, with someone dying.

And thats obviously not the worst case scenario, which would be some load damaging the tunnel enough to cause a lot more death than whomever is unfortunate enough to be right behind the negligent driver.

This has got to be reckless driving on the driver's part, at a minimum. He's the one in the truck, and he's the one that decided to ignore the signs. Even if his employer had a GPS system that was telling him to drive through the tunnel (which I think is unlikely, nobody running a trucking company would want a system like that), he's the one that made the decision, and if his company would have punished him for following the law and not going through the tunnel, he'd have legal recourse against them.
__________________
The Goal of Mass Transit should be to get you from Bed to Boss to Bar and back again.
DominusNovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:20 PM   #29
F-Line to Dudley
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,460
Re: Big Dig Tunnel--

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominusNovus View Post
I'm sure we'll find out whether the company was directing the driver properly to avoid the tunnel or whether he was just following his directions. As far as civil damages are concerned.

But when I first saw this video (I rewatched before making my 'criminalize it' comment) I thought that the back end of the trailer was another car, and that he just crushed someone. And while that was not the case here, that absolutely could have happened in a different situation, with someone dying.

And thats obviously not the worst case scenario, which would be some load damaging the tunnel enough to cause a lot more death than whomever is unfortunate enough to be right behind the negligent driver.

This has got to be reckless driving on the driver's part, at a minimum. He's the one in the truck, and he's the one that decided to ignore the signs. Even if his employer had a GPS system that was telling him to drive through the tunnel (which I think is unlikely, nobody running a trucking company would want a system like that), he's the one that made the decision, and if his company would have punished him for following the law and not going through the tunnel, he'd have legal recourse against them.
Truck company GPS'es have all FHA clearance data pre-fed into their systems. If it's any state or provincial highway of any kind in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and NAFTA neighbors Canada & Mexico...it's already in there by default. As are most town-control thoroughfares and designated truck routes. About the only gray area that may not have clearance data are secondary municipal streets, which if data is lacking and there is a clearance restriction lurking in the weeds...is only unaccounted for because truck volumes are way too low to have been inputed in the first place. Just feed in the height of the piggyback load from the manifest, and the mapping software will instantly auto-filter out any/all routes that can't take the dimension. It's almost literally impossible to run into trouble by following the GPS to the letter.

Not following the onboard GPS is the only way this incident can happen. Or following one's own iPhone GPS instead of the carrier's because the driver thinks he/she's outsmarting the system.



FWIW...this shit doesn't just happen in the CA/T. Sumner and Callahan get stopped all the freaking time because of numbnuts truck drivers who blow the clearance restriction.

https://www.wcvb.com/article/sumner-...truck/14406542

https://www.wcvb.com/article/video-s...tunnel/8110735

https://patch.com/massachusetts/bost...-thats-too-big

https://www.wcvb.com/article/sumner-...truck/14406542
F-Line to Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:23 PM   #30
DominusNovus
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 694
Re: Big Dig Tunnel--

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Line to Dudley View Post
Truck company GPS'es have all FHA clearance data pre-fed into their systems. If it's any state or provincial highway of any kind in all 50 states, Puerto Rico, and NAFTA neighbors Canada & Mexico...it's already in there by default. As are most town-control thoroughfares and designated truck routes. About the only gray area that may not have clearance data are secondary municipal streets, which if data is lacking and there is a clearance restriction lurking in the weeds...is only unaccounted for because truck volumes are way too low to have been inputed. Just feed in the height of the piggyback load from the manifest, and the mapping software will instantly auto-filter out any/all routes that can't take the dimension. It's almost literally impossible to run into trouble by following the GPS to the letter.

Not following the onboard GPS is the only way this incident can happen. Or following one's own iPhone GPS instead of the carrier's because the driver thinks he/she's outsmarting the system.



FWIW...this shit doesn't just happen in the CA/T. Sumner and Callahan get stopped all the freaking time because of numbnuts truck drivers who blow the clearance restriction.

https://www.wcvb.com/article/sumner-...truck/14406542

https://www.wcvb.com/article/video-s...tunnel/8110735

https://patch.com/massachusetts/bost...-thats-too-big

https://www.wcvb.com/article/sumner-...truck/14406542
I figured as much, but I wanted to cover the other possibility. Given how often this happens, we need to be less forgiving to those that do this.
__________________
The Goal of Mass Transit should be to get you from Bed to Boss to Bar and back again.
DominusNovus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:19 PM   #31
statler
Moderator
 
statler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Approaching a City
Posts: 7,504
Re: Big Dig Tunnel--

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusMcFly View Post
Once again.
The metric system is to blame.
When will those 275 other countries learn?
I laughed.
statler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 02:04 PM   #32
sm89
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Somerville
Posts: 747
Re: Big Dig Tunnel--

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Line to Dudley View Post
This clown probably thought he was being clever. In addition to all the damages the carrier is going to get from MassDOT, they're going to have to reimburse the container's owner for loss of the shipping vessel. When Beacon Park was still open every idiot coming out of the yard who Storrowed himself instead of taking the Pike would get shit from the state, from his own employer over the liability, and from CSX who'd fine the truck company into oblivion (and ban repeat offenders from the yard) for damaging one of theirs or their shippers' IM cubes. It's merely the truck company's own trailer that gets trashed when you Storrow a regular old tractor-trailer. But doing that with a cube piggyback is doubleplusbad because it's someone else's property that gets destroyed.
This was an extreme case, but what is the mechanism to recoup these costs? For example when a truck runs down a traffic signal it's just 'oops sorry' and the City pays to replace it.
sm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:55 PM   #33
F-Line to Dudley
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,460
Re: Big Dig Tunnel--

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm89 View Post
This was an extreme case, but what is the mechanism to recoup these costs? For example when a truck runs down a traffic signal it's just 'oops sorry' and the City pays to replace it.
Probably just a fine for illegal vehicle when it's a bridge strike. Combination plates (and others) are prohibited on the parkways to begin with, so Storrowings get their damage and Police OT costs reimbursed by traffic tickets. Including tix for everyone driving a non-overheight truck of prohibited plate class on the parkway.

CA/T, Sumner, Callahan, etc. are a different ballgame entirely because of the extra MassDOT oversight for the tunnel crossings. As well as fact that Southie Haul Road, the Ted (which has interstate-regulation default clearances Sumner/Callahan do not have), and Surface Rd. were explicitly created as bypasses. There might be damage bills. There almost certainly are going to be heftier fines.



As far as the driver goes...he lost his job the second he disobeyed dispatcher's routing and destroyed somebody else's cube payload. The state fines are merely a footnote after the fact. On sheer biz-to-biz grounds he's already made himself too toxic to be entrusted with anyone's deliveries.
F-Line to Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 07:19 AM   #34
BostonUrbEx
Senior Member
 
BostonUrbEx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Shore
Posts: 4,261
Re: Big Dig Tunnel--

From what I read somewhere, the driver was claiming to have made the same run with the same type of load multiple times. Perhaps this load was a little taller for some reason, but he assumed it was the same and went on his merry way thinking he knew the usual route was the correct route.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by choo View Post
forget it ever happening, its too great an idea.
BostonUrbEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 05:19 PM   #35
Joel N. Weber II
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 569
Re: Big Dig Tunnel--

My understanding is that repaving can gradually reduce vertical clearance, but I have no idea whether the Tip O'Neil Tunnel has been paved recently relative to his last trip.

The suspension on the truck or trailer might have been a little bit higher than what he was previously used to, or maybe he might have had a different trailer with a slightly different deck.

When I was watching a bunch of Youtube trucking videos a few years ago, it seemed to be the case that when crossing state lines, truckers generally didn't go through weigh stations at all unless staff happened to be present (which often wasn't the case). I'm wondering if automated equipment to check height and weight at the state borders along major highways that could operate without any state employees present to sanity check whether an oversize permit is required and requiring all drivers of large commercial trucks to go through those weigh stations might help to prevent this sort of thing.
Joel N. Weber II is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MIT West Campus infill and small projects Gameguy326 Development Projects 5 10-18-2018 02:54 PM
Sumner Tunnel tysmith95 Transit and Infrastructure 7 05-25-2017 11:46 AM
Replacing the Tobin with a tunnel FK4 Design a Better Boston 9 10-17-2015 08:06 AM
Storrow Drive tunnel replacement czsz Transit and Infrastructure 190 10-21-2013 07:01 PM
Big Dig Tunnel Collapse briv Transit and Infrastructure 60 04-08-2007 01:14 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.