archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Boston Architecture & Urbanism

Boston Architecture & Urbanism Discussions and photos regarding Boston area architecture and urbanism.

Old 12-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #1
TheRifleman

One Lincoln (State Street Building)

I was at a X-MAS party last night with some state street employees. They were all over One Lincoln inside shoddy construction and elevator problems. They started mentioning Suffolk Construction but I was not even sure if they worked on this project. Also a comment about the sign is starting to fall off.
(Could just be a bunch of bitter employees leaving the financial district but who knows)

I actually thought State Street was going to stay in that building I did not realize that they were moving the entire company to the Seaport. They welcomed the move but had grave concerns about the Transit and they are not impressed with the Silver Line bus or the shuttles running from South Station.

Overall it was very interesting. Just curious if anybody else heard of any problems at the State St Building? (One Lincoln)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_Lincoln_Street
TheRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
Reznor

Re: One Lincoln (State Street Building)

Those employees are misinformed. State Street is staying in 1 Lincoln. Back office employees currently in the Hancock, 100 Summer Street and Lafayette Corp. Center are moving to the Seaport. Essentially, all employees with be in 1 Lincoln (SSgA, SSgM, execs) and others in Seaport.

Not sure about shoddy construction. I used to work in the building and it was nice. I wouldn't say high end finishings like some newer buildings, but modern.
Reznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
TheRifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznor View Post
Those employees are misinformed. State Street is staying in 1 Lincoln. Back office employees currently in the Hancock, 100 Summer Street and Lafayette Corp. Center are moving to the Seaport. Essentially, all employees with be in 1 Lincoln (SSgA, SSgM, execs) and others in Seaport.

Not sure about shoddy construction. I used to work in the building and it was nice. I wouldn't say high end finishings like some newer buildings, but modern.
Thank you for clarfying that. How much square feet does State Street have in the city of Boston?

I am a fan of One Lincoln I think it fits in perfect with the cities fabric. Also I love the top of this small skyscraper (Big for Boston standards) especially the blue lighting rods... Reminds me of a building in Manhattan.
TheRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
KentXie

The only problem I had with the elevators are that they are never at the lobby often enough. Other than that I haven't heard about anything.
KentXie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
ssresident

The low rise portion of the building (overlooking Kingston and Bedford) had hvac issues when it opened, and it took them maybe a year or so to get it corrected. It was too cold in the winter, too warm in the summer. I've never heard of any other issues, but I did notice the slow elevators yesterday.

Employees moving to Seaport are less than thrilled with the small desks and open office plan in the Channel Center building. Each person will have their own desk, but they are less than half the size of current cubicles in the other buildings.
ssresident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
KentXie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssresident View Post
The low rise portion of the building (overlooking Kingston and Bedford) had hvac issues when it opened, and it took them maybe a year or so to get it corrected. It was too cold in the winter, too warm in the summer. I've never heard of any other issues, but I did notice the slow elevators yesterday.

Employees moving to Seaport are less than thrilled with the small desks and open office plan in the Channel Center building. Each person will have their own desk, but they are less than half the size of current cubicles in the other buildings.
I believe this is due to their sitting/standing hybrid cubicles initiative that they are rolling out so you don't have to sit for 8 hours straight while working.
Old 04-24-2018, 04:04 PM   #7
KentXie

Apparently State Street is looking to move out of One Lincoln to a smaller office which is the opposite of what I expected because when I left the company last fall, we were running out of space to put employees in.

The only reason that this would make sense is if State Street is having trouble kicking out the tenants that they leased to within the building (a mistake that upper management made a few years ago) and as such, the only other option to allow expansion is to move out and find a new building all together.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business..._ReadMore_Pos1
Old 04-25-2018, 02:16 PM   #8
stevebikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentXie View Post
Apparently State Street is looking to move out of One Lincoln to a smaller office which is the opposite of what I expected because when I left the company last fall, we were running out of space to put employees in.

The only reason that this would make sense is if State Street is having trouble kicking out the tenants that they leased to within the building (a mistake that upper management made a few years ago) and as such, the only other option to allow expansion is to move out and find a new building all together.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/business..._ReadMore_Pos1
SSGA already moved out of One Lincoln and into Channel Center, which displaced a lot of people from there down to Quincy, which had a lot of empty space.
stevebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:18 PM   #9
KentXie

I do not believe it was SSGA that relocated to Channel Center. It was the operational/human resource and I think the custody side of the bank that moved to Channel Center (I was informed that most people came from the Copley office and Quincy offices). That being said, Channel Center is already 100% at capacity (there were intentions to move everyone from Summer Street to CC before they ran out of space) as is One Lincoln (State Street was converting all cubicles to smaller desks to fit more people and got through about 10 floors before they were informed by Lincoln Properties that they were not allowed to convert anymore due to a limit to how many employees they can have in the tower). Former co-worker informed me that the move most likely won't happen until 2023.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:38 PM   #10
odurandina

i read that story earlier. It was a head scratcher.

It would be super cook if you're right.

Hope it's not an outsourcing situation.
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote