archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Closed Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 06:17 PM   #1781
odurandina

Re: Amazon HQ2 RFP

Has anyone discussed the meltdown in Seattle over the disputed tax?

Amazon ready to halt ALL expansion in Seattle effective immediately (yeah sure)....

https://techcrunch.com/2018/05/03/am...-tax-proposal/

Walsh, Golden, Curtatone and Baker need to get on a fugging plane.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:00 PM   #1782
stellarfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
Has anyone discussed the meltdown in Seattle over the disputed tax?

Amazon ready to halt ALL expansion in Seattle effective immediately (yeah sure)....

https://techcrunch.com/2018/05/03/am...-tax-proposal/

Walsh, Golden, Curtatone and Baker need to get on a fugging plane.
This proposed levy is to aid the homeless. Seattle is averaging 10,000 new apartment units a year.

As we're back to Amazon, Montgomery County is economically stagnant, because, some assert, it discouraged new employers coming to the county.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.d7cf3b331de6

Last edited by stellarfun; 05-04-2018 at 08:41 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:09 PM   #1783
vanshnookenraggen

It's official: Amazon will bring 2,000 new jobs to Seaport

Anyone got an account?
Old 05-03-2018, 07:26 PM   #1784
DominusNovus

Quote:
Originally Posted by coleslaw View Post
There are other ways to ensure affordable housing besides build, build, build. like.. gasp... rent control, squatting and holding homes after evictions, tenant unions fighting evictions in the first place, etc. You ignore the possibility for action by anyone but the political and capitalist class. Displacement is class war and people will fight back.

Also these things just simply are not inevitable. They may be under neoliberal capitalism but they are ultimately choices. We structure our society in a certain way that makes it hard to see an alternative but it could be structured differently. Whenever you start acting like capitalism is just the way of nature you are preaching a market cult.
You’re going to be fun in a few decades when your economic views do a 180, you know that?
Old 05-03-2018, 07:51 PM   #1785
dwash59

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanshnookenraggen View Post
I have a Stylish set up to allow me to read it?

Will occupy 430,000 SF in the L4 block once building is complete in 2021. Have an option for L5 block's 610,000 SF which will complete by 2025. They'll get a $5MM property tax break from the city for hiring the 2,000 and an additional $5MM if they hire an additional 2,000 for the L5 block.
Old 05-03-2018, 08:25 PM   #1786
chmeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeamusMcFly View Post
https://patch.com/massachusetts/bost...be-rich-boston

Apparently it takes less than I thought to be rich in Boston.
They may have a different idea of what rich means than many of us methinks.
I hate articles that talk about income without indicating if their reference point is per person or household.
Old 05-04-2018, 05:38 AM   #1787
SeamusMcFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmeeee View Post
I hate articles that talk about income without indicating if their reference point is per person or household.
https://www.deptofnumbers.com/income...usetts/boston/

The $82,380 is the median household income for Boston from 2016.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:30 AM   #1788
TallIsGood

Quote:
There are other ways to ensure affordable housing besides build, build, build. like.. gasp... rent control, squatting and holding homes after evictions, tenant unions fighting evictions in the first place, etc. You ignore the possibility for action by anyone but the political and capitalist class. Displacement is class war and people will fight back.

Also these things just simply are not inevitable. They may be under neoliberal capitalism but they are ultimately choices. We structure our society in a certain way that makes it hard to see an alternative but it could be structured differently. Whenever you start acting like capitalism is just the way of nature you are preaching a market cult.
So, basically theft. Got it.
Old 05-04-2018, 07:59 AM   #1789
TheRifleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post

I don't like people being displaced by high housing prices. What I'm saying is its inevitable. We can and should build affordable housing, .
I can deal with high housing prices if they grew naturally in a balanced economic climate. Even the majority Middle class families doing the right thing would benefit overtime because they could adjust with natural growth with time.

What is going on here is not natural.
State/city leaders pump billions of dollars in taxpayers resources in certain areas to create great infrastructure then subsidize billion dollar corporations to build in areas that is priceless real estate (then call it job creation) instead of letting market forces determining the value of the land.
When in reality it will increase the overall costs onto the taxpayers through Real estate tax, traffic jams, puts overall pressure on our existing infrastructure & city govt services.

I'm not against tax incentives if they justify the cause but the Seaport was all open land. Our political hacks need to get their zoning in line.

Our elected officials are corrupt idiots. I don't blame the corporations or the developers I blame our Political base for not representing the taxpayers and understanding the fruits of our labor. I'm not a republican but the Democrats seriously are their own worse enemy.

Last edited by TheRifleman; 05-04-2018 at 08:33 AM.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:14 AM   #1790
GW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallIsGood View Post
So, basically theft. Got it.
You could also say the current system is organized around theft of the value workers create. And you could easily characterize the corruption described by TheRifleman as theft. The only distinction is that one form of theft is currently legal, the other is not.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:43 AM   #1791
Rover

Quote:

The problem with all of this is that it has no political support, because the majority of voters think its foolish - even the liberal ones. Unless you have a magic wand handy, you have a better chance of seeing God than re-imposing rent control. If you want to re-make society have at it, but that's going to take decades if not a century and in the meantime people will still be getting priced out of their homes. I prefer to focus on what's achievable in the time I have on Earth.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:04 AM   #1792
JANAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW View Post
You could also say the current system is organized around theft of the value workers create. And you could easily characterize the corruption described by TheRifleman as theft. The only distinction is that one form of theft is currently legal, the other is not.
But they're workers, not slaves. And very well paid union workers create a lot of this value.
Old 05-04-2018, 09:57 AM   #1793
bakgwailo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANAM View Post
But they're workers, not slaves. And very well paid union workers create a lot of this value.
Lots of highly/very well paid non-union jobs, too.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:02 AM   #1794
Brad Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
The problem with all of this is that it has no political support, because the majority of voters think its foolish - even the liberal ones. Unless you have a magic wand handy, you have a better chance of seeing God than re-imposing rent control. If you want to re-make society have at it, but that's going to take decades if not a century and in the meantime people will still be getting priced out of their homes. I prefer to focus on what's achievable in the time I have on Earth.
Hey Rover give Scooter a break. Zir is just trying to find zirself. Next week instead of identifying as a bolshevik Skippy will be identifying as maybe a polka dot zebra. So cute!
Old 05-04-2018, 10:05 AM   #1795
TheRifleman

Quote:
We are slaves:
When you have a Govt that can just print money backed by nothing of value and hand it out to the selected groups that they choose then claim they are creating jobs. That is slavery. The system has been compromised--- Only ignorant and uneducated people can't acknowledge this.

Also give those selected groups unlimited tax advantages over other groups is nothing more than stealing.

This scenario only destroys hardworking families because it puts mounted pressure on them financially bailing out the entitled inept nonproductive morons.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:17 AM   #1796
GW

Quote:
I never called them slaves, and I wasn't talking about construction jobs. Just jobs. And how have those been doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Plaid View Post
Hey Rover give Scooter a break. Zir is just trying to find zirself. Next week instead of identifying as a bolshevik Skippy will be identifying as maybe a polka dot zebra. So cute!
Zir

This conversation has nothing to do with trans people. This is what happens when right-wing fanatics start punching left nowadays. Literal hate speech.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:22 AM   #1797
DominusNovus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW View Post
I never called them slaves, and I wasn't talking about construction jobs. Just jobs. And how have those been doing?

Zir

This conversation has nothing to do with trans people. This is what happens when right-wing fanatics start punching left nowadays. Literal hate speech.
It was certainly sophomoric, but calling it hate speech? Its almost like bith sides are just trying to rachet up the rhetoric.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:31 AM   #1798
cadetcarl

We can at least agree that it was intended to be disparaging and has no place here.

Look, we get it Brad. The world is changing in ways that are frightening and uncomfortable to you. This is natural, and will likely happen to the younger among us someday. But go ahead and keep it to yourself so you don't embarrass yourself on the internet, where everything is forever.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:59 AM   #1799
GW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DominusNovus View Post
It was certainly sophomoric, but calling it hate speech? Its almost like bith sides are just trying to rachet up the rhetoric.
I'm not trying to ratchet it up. It's hate speech. He said being a trans person is as ridiculous as choosing to identify as a polka dot zebra.
Closed Thread