archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-22-2015, 10:50 AM   #1
JeffDowntown
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Cove
Posts: 2,809
Chinatown Infill Projects

Starting to see significant infill and rebuilding in Chinatown.
__________________
Jeff H.
Downtown, South Cove
JeffDowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:52 AM   #2
JeffDowntown
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Cove
Posts: 2,809
Re: Chinatown Infill Projects

213 Harrison -- Completely rebuilt row house:



New front fašade, new 4 story brick addition to rear. Four floor through apartments plus a commercial unit in the basement.
__________________
Jeff H.
Downtown, South Cove
JeffDowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:11 PM   #3
tobyjug
Senior Member
 
tobyjug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: downtown
Posts: 3,228
Re: Chinatown Infill Projects

Wonder if someday people will "Bay Village" all the row houses with black shutters and vintage style glazing.
tobyjug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:39 PM   #4
CantabAmager
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Cambridge
Posts: 216
Re: Chinatown Infill Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyjug View Post
Wonder if someday people will "Bay Village" all the row houses with black shutters and vintage style glazing.
Surprised that hasn't happened already.

Alternatively, I wonder if the old "South Cove" name reappears (edit: other than in Jeff's signature, which I just noticed - for some reason the name's been stuck in my head, just put 1-and-1 together) with social changes in/around Chinatown.

Last edited by CantabAmager; 08-23-2015 at 04:53 PM.
CantabAmager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:29 PM   #5
JohnAKeith
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 4,264
Re: Chinatown Infill Projects

Not going to derail the thread (which I love) but legit question to be raised is, what happens to a neighborhood when it's "suddenly' rediscovered and developers buy and renovate run-down housing? That's going on in Chinatown. Buildings such as this are being purchased by investors / developers, current tenants "evicted" (not "evicted" but their leases not renewed) and properties renovated, with the expectation that the "new" housing can be rented or sold for prices previously unheard of.

I am as pro-development as anyone and believe no one has a "right" to live wherever they want (being free-market and all that), but something to point out, nonetheless.
JohnAKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:04 PM   #6
DBM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 674
Re: Chinatown Infill Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAKeith View Post
Not going to derail the thread (which I love) but legit question to be raised is, what happens to a neighborhood when it's "suddenly' rediscovered and developers buy and renovate run-down housing? That's going on in Chinatown. Buildings such as this are being purchased by investors / developers, current tenants "evicted" (not "evicted" but their leases not renewed) and properties renovated, with the expectation that the "new" housing can be rented or sold for prices previously unheard of.

I am as pro-development as anyone and believe no one has a "right" to live wherever they want (being free-market and all that), but something to point out, nonetheless.
I strongly suggest you study this website carefully:

http://cpaboston.org/

Regardless of whether you feel the term "gentrification" is meaningful and objective or if it has lost all authenticity due to politicization, the fact is those guys are the ones most vigorously addressing the issues that usually get bundled up in the term.
DBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:42 AM   #7
JeffDowntown
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Cove
Posts: 2,809
Re: Chinatown Infill Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBM View Post
I strongly suggest you study this website carefully:

http://cpaboston.org/

Regardless of whether you feel the term "gentrification" is meaningful and objective or if it has lost all authenticity due to politicization, the fact is those guys are the ones most vigorously addressing the issues that usually get bundled up in the term.
We also have a new Community Land Trust in Chinatown, and are trying to acquire, rehab and preserve some of the row houses as affordable housing, with support from the City (and private monies).

Tough to do, though, because market forces are really out of control right now (can we say real estate bubble?).
__________________
Jeff H.
Downtown, South Cove
JeffDowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 08:44 PM   #8
Boston02124
Senior Member
 
Boston02124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dorchester/Boston
Posts: 5,904
Re: Chinatown Infill Projects

looks like Chinatown (old Combat Zone) has a skyline
Boston02124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 08:34 PM   #9
BeeLine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9,867
Re: Chinatown Infill Projects





BeeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:52 PM   #10
Boston02124
Senior Member
 
Boston02124's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dorchester/Boston
Posts: 5,904
Re: Chinatown Infill Projects

One of my favorite Boston buildings
Boston02124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 08:16 PM   #11
Lisbon
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 101
Re: Chinatown Infill Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDowntown View Post
213 Harrison -- Completely rebuilt row house:



New front fašade, new 4 story brick addition to rear. Four floor through apartments plus a commercial unit in the basement.
The new facade is a huge downgrade: https://www.google.com/maps/place/21...391bbc!6m1!1e1

The details are subtle, but for a simple row house like this one it essentially lost all of its charm.

I am all for renovation, but why couldn't they preserve the facade?
Lisbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 05:30 AM   #12
JeffDowntown
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Cove
Posts: 2,809
Re: Chinatown Infill Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisbon View Post
The new facade is a huge downgrade: https://www.google.com/maps/place/21...391bbc!6m1!1e1

The details are subtle, but for a simple row house like this one it essentially lost all of its charm.

I am all for renovation, but why couldn't they preserve the facade?
Room layout behind the windows. The owner did floor-thru units, and the three across windows are a significant challenge. These are not deep row houses, so the floor plate is small (580 sq ft). Needed to consolidate the windows to make more marketable apartments.

NOTE: I am not a fan either, but this is way better than what was originally proposed.
__________________
Jeff H.
Downtown, South Cove
JeffDowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:17 AM   #13
BeeLine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 9,867
Re: Chinatown Infill Projects



BeeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:21 PM   #14
bakgwailo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 852
Re: Chinatown Infill Projects

Developer got a steal of a deal on that at $480,000.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 05:15 AM   #15
JeffDowntown
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: South Cove
Posts: 2,809
Re: Chinatown Infill Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
Developer got a steal of a deal on that at $480,000.
Yes, but the families were desperate for cash (all cash deal), and the two buildings were basically falling down.
__________________
Jeff H.
Downtown, South Cove
JeffDowntown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 11:48 AM   #16
bakgwailo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 852
Re: Chinatown Infill Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDowntown View Post
Yes, but the families were desperate for cash (all cash deal), and the two buildings were basically falling down.
Yup, I know - still a steal of a deal anyway you look at it. Its zoned for 4-6 units, right? Anyways, wish they could have at least kept the facades somehow - yet another small piece of the (very few) remaining row houses gone.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:15 PM   #17
bosdevelopment
Senior Member
 
bosdevelopment's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Brookline
Posts: 727
Re: Chinatown Infill Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDowntown View Post
Yes, but the families were desperate for cash (all cash deal), and the two buildings were basically falling down.
If you add up how much it costs to carry the property through permitting and construction it's not all that much of a steal. Thanks, socialism.
bosdevelopment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:36 PM   #18
reverend_paco
Senior Member
 
reverend_paco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 347
Re: Chinatown Infill Projects

Don't know if this counts as "infill" but I didn't know what other thread to put this on, but there's a letter of intent for a new 20 story hotel at 150 Kneeland Street:

http://www.bostonplans.org/getattach...0-422267dcd12b



Found this news at universal hub:

http://www.universalhub.com/2018/dev...20-story-hotel
reverend_paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:49 PM   #19
Lrfox
Senior Member
 
Lrfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,483
Re: Chinatown Infill Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverend_paco View Post
Don't know if this counts as "infill" but I didn't know what other thread to put this on, but there's a letter of intent for a new 20 story hotel at 150 Kneeland Street:

http://www.bostonplans.org/getattach...0-422267dcd12b



Found this news at universal hub:

http://www.universalhub.com/2018/dev...20-story-hotel
The Hudson Group. They did Radian, Oxford Ping-On, and a few other smaller projects. So they're not huge, but they've been successful in that area.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:12 PM   #20
shmessy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,379
Re: Chinatown Infill Projects

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverend_paco View Post
Don't know if this counts as "infill" but I didn't know what other thread to put this on, but there's a letter of intent for a new 20 story hotel at 150 Kneeland Street:

http://www.bostonplans.org/getattach...0-422267dcd12b



Found this news at universal hub:

http://www.universalhub.com/2018/dev...20-story-hotel
I officially love this project a million billion infinity times. Such a "win-win" for all.


".....The property was formerly used as a restaurant and night club, which presented a significant nuisance to the neighborhood, while subsequent neglect of the site has resulted in serious blight.

Our goal is to develop a striking, slender, mid-rise tower housing a well-designed, top-quality hospitality facility. The Project will supply sorely needed hotel rooms to the immediate South Station area, which currently does not have a single hotel. The proposed hotel will complement the mixed-use fabric of the historic Leather District while positioning the Kneeland Street development corridor as a modern urban thoroughfare with a vibrant pedestrian realm."
shmessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chinatown, downtown

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
South Boston Infill and Small Projects Scott Development Projects 1531 08-14-2019 10:08 AM
121 Arlington infill? Hutchison Development Projects 1 11-23-2011 11:11 AM
Infill MBTA stations FrankG Transit and Infrastructure 79 02-25-2009 08:14 PM
West End infill cneal Greater New England 4 12-27-2008 06:08 PM
MIT Infill Building Dedicated whighlander Development Projects 3 10-13-2007 02:21 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.