archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 07-11-2019, 02:37 PM   #6241
cadetcarl

Re: General MBTA Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentXie View Post
Honestly, if I lived on the Red Line, I'd invest in a car and drive to work. Better yet, ask if you can remote and work from home.
With all due respect, that's ridiculous and defeatist. I ride the Red Line every day and know about its travails but despite them there is no sense in which a car commute from the ends of the Red Line downtown is improved with a car. Every couple of weeks there are pretty bad delays, and it is a totally unacceptable level of service. But let's not be hyperbolic, it's still reliable and superior to driving and parking.
cadetcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 01:58 PM   #6242
bakgwailo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadetcarl View Post
With all due respect, that's ridiculous and defeatist. I ride the Red Line every day and know about its travails but despite them there is no sense in which a car commute from the ends of the Red Line downtown is improved with a car. Every couple of weeks there are pretty bad delays, and it is a totally unacceptable level of service. But let's not be hyperbolic, it's still reliable and superior to driving and parking.
At least for my case, it really isn't at this point. Average about an hour on a good day, with the signalling issues on the red its now about an hour and a half to go from Dot to East Cambridge (~6.5 miles as the crow flies). Its pretty ridiculous given that driving is 20 minutes no traffic (lol), or about 40 minutes with bad traffic. So, yeah - depending on peoples work and parking situations, I don't think its hyperbolic at all at this point to switch.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:03 PM   #6243
F-Line to Dudley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
At least for my case, it really isn't at this point. Average about an hour on a good day, with the signalling issues on the red its now about an hour and a half to go from Dot to East Cambridge (~6.5 miles as the crow flies). Its pretty ridiculous given that driving is 20 minutes no traffic (lol), or about 40 minutes with bad traffic. So, yeah - depending on peoples work and parking situations, I don't think its hyperbolic at all at this point to switch.
On the other hand, now that I know Shirley Leung did it I feel oddly compelled to ride the Red Line...like...harder than ever before.
F-Line to Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 08:12 PM   #6244
FK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Line to Dudley View Post
On the other hand, now that I know Shirley Leung did it I feel oddly compelled to ride the Red Line...like...harder than ever before.
Nice one. Sheís a twit.
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:08 AM   #6245
ceo

I commute from Somerville to the Seaport. Inbound it's generally fine, but outbound has been a big ol' charlie foxtrot more often than not. On days I don't bike to work, I've taken to getting on the 6:00 Seaport ferry to North Station and catching the 6:25 Fitchburg train to Porter and walking from there. The ferry is free for Seaport workers and has much nicer views than the Silver Line.

Of course, that did me no good at all last week when an earlier train hit someone at Brandeis; after we sat in the station for a bit I decided I had other options, looked at the Transit app and headed up to Sullivan to catch an 89. Of course, because of the Broadway bridge closure, it doesn't go almost right by my house anymore; I had to stay on until it got to Highland Ave and walk back. Still the right call; friend of mine who was on the train that hit someone didn't get home until late that night.
ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:52 AM   #6246
JeffDowntown

Classic Red Line performance yesterday. Boarded a Braintree train at Davis. Last car was "dead" but the lights were on and there was no announcement, so minor mayhem as people scrambled to relocate. We got as far as Kendall, then the train was taken out of service, so everyone was kicked out onto the platform. While waiting for another train (more than 10 minutes) an Alewife train arrived at the other platform, also with a dead first car, again no announcement, lights on.

Gotta love the MBTA.
Old 07-15-2019, 07:08 AM   #6247
sneijder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDowntown View Post
Classic Red Line performance yesterday. Boarded a Braintree train at Davis. Last car was "dead" but the lights were on and there was no announcement, so minor mayhem as people scrambled to relocate. We got as far as Kendall, then the train was taken out of service, so everyone was kicked out onto the platform. While waiting for another train (more than 10 minutes) an Alewife train arrived at the other platform, also with a dead first car, again no announcement, lights on.

Gotta love the MBTA.
Weekend headways have been downright embarassing..sometimes 15 to 20 minutes. Don't understand why they can't just maintain the usual 8tph. I believe ridership is also down 5-10% as a result.. and with the Tobin bridge construction on the north side, I have to imagine the entire I93 corridor is a disaster these days.
sneijder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 07:19 AM   #6248
tysmith95

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneijder View Post
Weekend headways have been downright embarassing..sometimes 15 to 20 minutes. Don't understand why they can't just maintain the usual 8tph. I believe ridership is also down 5-10% as a result.. and with the Tobin bridge construction on the north side, I have to imagine the entire I93 corridor is a disaster these days.
The Tobin isn't even in the same direction as the red line.

Anyway, the Tobin construction actually helps I-93 southbound slightly. There aren't as many cars getting through on the Tobin, so I-93 moves a little faster.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:04 AM   #6249
Arlington

What I saw this morning on I-93 from Medford to Callahan: typical "July-August" decongestion--just enough straws that usually break the camel's back are on vacation each week.

If just half of all downtown workers take 1 week vacay in the 8-week July-August vacation season, that's enough to nip 6% off the roads at peak each workday and decongest the metro area.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:36 AM   #6250
Coyote137

Send a message via AIM to Coyote137

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneijder View Post
Agreed about weekend headways, and it's the same on the OL.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:03 AM   #6251
stick n move

Wow

https://news.google.com/articles/CBM...S&ceid=US%3Aen
stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 09:22 AM   #6252
Riverside

Also the Blue Line was down west of Maverick this morning.
Riverside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:58 AM   #6253
whighlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick n move View Post
Wow
Quote:
Opinion
SHANNON: Redirect federal tax funds to fix MBTA
By Submitted by Paul Shannon of Somerville
Posted Jul 16, 2019 at 5:27 PM
Updated Jul 16, 2019 at 5:27 PM

To the Editor:

The answer to our MBTA crisis is staring us right in the face. Itís estimated that the cost to replace the MBTAís aging equipment and upgrade to new, modern infrastructure is about $10 billion over 5 years, or $2 billion per year. Last year Massachusetts taxpayers alone gave $23,100,000,000 to the Pentagon through their federal taxes: thatís $23.1 billion per year. In comparison, of all the money Mass. taxpayers as a group paid last year, well less than 1 percent of that $23.1 billion in Pentagon money went to public transportation: thatís less than $230 million.
Try Using the same logic on the rest of the Federal Budget -- at least with the Pentagon we get a toilet seat even if it costs $400 for our contribution of about 3% of the $700B

With the rest of our contribution to the Federal Budget our 3% of $4T - or $120B most of what we get is Hot Air, Documents and Forms wasting paper [despite the Paperwork Reduction Act and its regular renewals] and a plethora of Websites purporting to tell us how high the sea-level will be in 50 years -- RIGHT!

PS: Paul -- a reasonable fraction of the $23B pays for the jobs of a whole lot of your neighbors who work at places like: Raytheon, MIT Lincoln Laboratory, Draper Lab, US Air Force Electronics at Hanscom, US Army Soldier Systems Center in Natick, Barnes Air National Guard near Springfield, US Army Institute of Soldier Nanotechnologies in Cambridge, Otis and Camp Edwards down on the Cape and the National Cemetery down on the Cape. And then there are hundreds of Profs and researchers supported by the DOD working on medical devices, solar energy, robotic prosthetic devices, etc.. Which of those do you want to cut?
whighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:41 PM   #6254
HelloBostonHi

While I appreciate the MBTA is having problems, Michelle Wu saying "The MBTA is heading for total shutdown" is blatent fearmongering and just lying. Yes this year has been rough but "total shutdown" is pushing it, especially with the projects so close to completion in the pipeline for so many different areas.

Source: https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/07...-shutdown/amp/
HelloBostonHi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 02:46 PM   #6255
bigpicture7

Quote:
Originally Posted by whighlander View Post
Try Using the same logic on the rest of the Federal Budget -- at least with the Pentagon we get a toilet seat even if it costs $400 for our contribution of about 3% of the $700B

With the rest of our contribution to the Federal Budget our 3% of $4T - or $120B most of what we get is Hot Air, Documents and Forms wasting paper [despite the Paperwork Reduction Act and its regular renewals] and a plethora of Websites purporting to tell us how high the sea-level will be in 50 years -- RIGHT!

PS: Paul -- a reasonable fraction of the $23B pays for the jobs of a whole lot of your neighbors who work at places like: Raytheon, MIT Lincoln Laboratory, Draper Lab, US Air Force Electronics at Hanscom, US Army Soldier Systems Center in Natick, Barnes Air National Guard near Springfield, US Army Institute of Soldier Nanotechnologies in Cambridge, Otis and Camp Edwards down on the Cape and the National Cemetery down on the Cape. And then there are hundreds of Profs and researchers supported by the DOD working on medical devices, solar energy, robotic prosthetic devices, etc.. Which of those do you want to cut?
Come on, Whigh, you are smarter than this. You should know damn well the toilet seats you refer to cost way more than $400. (for reasons both legit and not, but reasons nonetheless).
bigpicture7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 03:14 PM   #6256
F-Line to Dudley

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloBostonHi View Post
While I appreciate the MBTA is having problems, Michelle Wu saying "The MBTA is heading for total shutdown" is blatent fearmongering and just lying. Yes this year has been rough but "total shutdown" is pushing it, especially with the projects so close to completion in the pipeline for so many different areas.

Source: https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/07...-shutdown/amp/
I liked it better when Wu was promoted to editor for a couple years there and barely had any time to write columns. Now that she's shaken out the rust on the acid-fever beat she's been ramping up the awful lately to Olympics levels.
F-Line to Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 11:26 PM   #6257
bakgwailo

Report for Red Line signal repair looks promising (maybe)?

https://www.boston25news.com/news/so...says/967713420

Quote:
The T said in its most recent update on the work that three signal bungalows have been rebuilt so far and one replacement was built.

And 21 of 29 signals along with 11 out of 19 switches are back to pre-derailment and remotely controlling the trains, allowing more of them to move through the stretch of track where the train derailed.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:05 AM   #6258
FK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Line to Dudley View Post
I liked it better when Wu was promoted to editor for a couple years there and barely had any time to write columns. Now that she's shaken out the rust on the acid-fever beat she's been ramping up the awful lately to Olympics levels.
Yeah I was big fan and hoped she'd take on Marty next election, but she showed her neophyte hand when she called for the T to just be free. Whatever you think of that as a proposal, just "calling for" it, as if a city councilor has any standing whatsoever to "call for" something of that magnitude, is utterly idiotic... and contributes nothing to the debate. She had been doing well. I hope she can right herself because I do think Boston would do well with a non-Irish-non-Italian-from-the-neighborhood for a mayor.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:06 AM   #6259
fattony

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK4 View Post
Yeah I was big fan and hoped she'd take on Marty next election, but she showed her neophyte hand when she called for the T to just be free. Whatever you think of that as a proposal, just "calling for" it, as if a city councilor has any standing whatsoever to "call for" something of that magnitude, is utterly idiotic... and contributes nothing to the debate. She had been doing well. I hope she can right herself because I do think Boston would do well with a non-Irish-non-Italian-from-the-neighborhood for a mayor.
She at least introduced the concept to the conversation. I donít see anything wrong with that. Should no city councilor say anything about the T just because it is out of their jurisdiction? Frankly I think 90% of our transit problems are caused because all the politicians who care about the T have no say and all the politicians who couldnít care less about the T make the decisions.
fattony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 08:21 AM   #6260
FK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattony View Post
She at least introduced the concept to the conversation. I donít see anything wrong with that. Should no city councilor say anything about the T just because it is out of their jurisdiction? Frankly I think 90% of our transit problems are caused because all the politicians who care about the T have no say and all the politicians who couldnít care less about the T make the decisions.
Personally, I think itís a dumb idea. Itís certainly not a model thatís in any way realistic... and therefore is a dumb thing to say that means she isnít to be taken seriously. I agree with your latter statements, but thereís more pragmatic things local pols could be saying and advocating for; just saying ďoh hey letís make it freeĒ is a cop out... like demonstrating a granular understanding of the problems of the MBTA... It absolutely is the kind of statement that makes me immediately take her less seriously as a future candidate.. hence my frustration, since Iíve watched her closely hoping sheíll run.