archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-01-2018, 12:31 PM   #3901
adamh8297
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 529
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosDevelop View Post
I'm hearing rumors Primera Air MAY be completely dunzo in the next 24-48 hours. MIGHT want to consider looking into other options if you either have a flight booked with them or were planning to purchase one.
Its official. One theory out there is that the new routes were launched in rapid succession to generate some cash flow.

https://primeraair.com/about-us/corp...es-operations/
adamh8297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:49 PM   #3902
mass88
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,799
Re: Logan Flight Additions

https://news.delta.com/delta-boston-...ce-summer-2019

Here's something confirmed, by a carrier that won't be going belly-up. Expanding on the post by adamh.

Flights will fun May 23 - September 3. Boeing 757-200 aircraft confirmed.

Delta does a good job of scheduling their European arrivals into Boston before the busy rush at Terminal E. I am sure it also has something to do with trying to connect well with forward flights from Boston.

London Heathrow arrives at 12:16 PM
Paris Charles de Gaulle arrives at 12:16 PM
Amsterdam #1 arrives at 1:16 PM
Dublin arrives at 12:31 PM
mass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 03:36 PM   #3903
jass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,053
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass88 View Post
First off, full details of what their basic economy will include have not come out. Second, JetBlue is just matching what the the US3 legacies have already done in that they've added basic economy tickets. So United, Delta and American have all added this fare class recently.

As long as they don't lessen their seat pitch and also lessen the seat pitch on the Even More Space seats (one of the best values in US aviation), then this should not have any major negative affects for JetBlue.

They do however need to revamp their operations for better on time performance.
But they are tightening the seat pitch. Theyre going from 150 seats to 162 seats.

And they went from no bag fee to the highest bag fee.

And they hiked up change fees.

And now basic economy.

As bigpicture7 said, it is my duty to tell people to watch out. I dont care what AA and United are doing. I know those airlines are crap. I avoid those airlines because theyre crap. I fly Jetblue because they are supposed to be better.

But in August, they announced that Ben Baldanza (former CEO of Spirit) was joining the Board of Directors

Express to shit city.

You have been warned.
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:20 AM   #3904
BosDevelop
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,089
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass View Post
But they are tightening the seat pitch. Theyre going from 150 seats to 162 seats.

And they went from no bag fee to the highest bag fee.

And they hiked up change fees.

And now basic economy.

As bigpicture7 said, it is my duty to tell people to watch out. I dont care what AA and United are doing. I know those airlines are crap. I avoid those airlines because theyre crap. I fly Jetblue because they are supposed to be better.

But in August, they announced that Ben Baldanza (former CEO of Spirit) was joining the Board of Directors

Express to shit city.

You have been warned.
So what are suggesting on routes serviced by say American, United and JetBlue? Even with the changes aren't you still better off on JetBlue? Perhaps it's just not as big of a differential between them and the legacy carriers anymore but I still much prefer JetBlue even with all the recent changes for the worse.
BosDevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:57 AM   #3905
tysmith95
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: North Shore
Posts: 2,118
Re: Logan Flight Additions

32 inches of seat pitch is more then enough for me, and I'm 6 feet tall.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:37 PM   #3906
bigpicture7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Brighton, MA
Posts: 1,386
Re: Logan Flight Additions

For me it is contextual: if I am traveling solo and it is a short flight, I don't care much about seat assignment. If I am traveling with my wife and its a long flight, seat assignment is much more important to me.

And here, there is indeed difference between how the carriers handle basic economy. On Delta (which, IMO, has done a better job rolling this out)...at least a couple of months ago when I last flew them...I was able to select a set at check-in. On UA, you have no opportunity to influence your seat assignment at all. Delta's latest IFE that they are rolling out is also far superior (even convincing my wife, who was of the I-dont-care-I-use-my-ipad camp, to admit that the large flat screens and tons of movie choices was preferable).

From my experience, UA's Basic Economy is by far the worst, and Delta's is the best. There are now an awful lot of factors that need to be considered for me to make my decision (airline, solo/partner, length, ever-changing-details of Basic Economy)...it used to be simpler.
bigpicture7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:33 PM   #3907
North Shore
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 60
Re: Logan Flight Additions

What I'm waiting to see is how this new fare class will effect co-branded credit card holders.

I currently have a Barclay's JetBlue Plus MasterCard. If I book a Blue (basic) fare, I get baggage allowances included.
North Shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:18 AM   #3908
Equilibria
Senior Member
 
Equilibria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,041
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamh8297 View Post
Its official. One theory out there is that the new routes were launched in rapid succession to generate some cash flow.

https://primeraair.com/about-us/corp...es-operations/
...to the surprise of precisely no one.
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:15 AM   #3909
mass88
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,799
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Jetblue is adding service between Boston and Rochester, NY. Flights start January 8, 2019 and it will run once daily.

I wonder how long American will stick with this route?
mass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:22 AM   #3910
mass88
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,799
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Jetblue is also going to close three stations - Daytona Beach, St. Croix and Washington Dulles.

Someone posted a slide over on airliners.net that mentioned expanded service from Boston to Aruba, Nassau, Orlando, Punta Cana, Santiago, Santo Domingo, Sarasota, Tampa and West Palm Beach.

Last edited by mass88; 10-09-2018 at 10:34 AM.
mass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 01:52 PM   #3911
atlantaden
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: atlanta
Posts: 1,812
Re: Logan Flight Additions

https://mms.businesswire.com/media/2...jpg?download=1

This Jet Blue map lists all the new/expanded routes.
atlantaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 02:05 PM   #3912
Arlington
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West Medford, MA
Posts: 3,311
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass88 View Post
Jetblue is also going to close three stations - Daytona Beach, St. Croix and Washington Dulles.
Bummer about IAD; That's such a huge tech destination, I'm surprised that UA was able to chase them out of it, leaving it a monopoly from Boston.
__________________
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:07 PM   #3913
atlantaden
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: atlanta
Posts: 1,812
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Surprising that Jet Blue decided to close the Dulles station within a few months of Amazon announcing it's selection of it's new headquarters location, with the odds on favorite being Northern VA/DC. If indeed, the Dulles area were chosen, the travel business between Dulles and Logan would increase tremendously. Maybe Jet Blue knows something we don't.
atlantaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 06:47 PM   #3914
mass88
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 1,799
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaden View Post
Surprising that Jet Blue decided to close the Dulles station within a few months of Amazon announcing it's selection of it's new headquarters location, with the odds on favorite being Northern VA/DC. If indeed, the Dulles area were chosen, the travel business between Dulles and Logan would increase tremendously. Maybe Jet Blue knows something we don't.
Where in Northern Virginia would the campus be built? My guess is that Jetblue feels their presence at DCA is sufficient to capture DC traffic and Northern Virginia traffic. They run year round, daily non-stop flights to a pretty decent network - Boston, Charleston, Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, Hartford, Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, San Juan, Nassau and West Palm Beach.
mass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 08:43 PM   #3915
Arlington
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West Medford, MA
Posts: 3,311
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass88 View Post
Where in Northern Virginia would the campus be built?
The most likely HQ2 site is said to be literally across the street from Dulles Airport (the street being VA-28, and admittedly, the airport has a big front yard), but basically you can think of it as if the Boston HQ2 were at Maverick or Wood Island.

The 30-acre CIT campus and 2 adjacent parcels (all basically greenfield, and "right there" on both the highway grid and WMATA's Metro Silver Line)

CIT is also getting its own Metro stop (Innovation Center, now under construction), putting it 1 stop away from the airport.

http://www.dullesmetro.com/silver-line-stations/

If Amazon does pick that spot (at the star, below), I don't see how JetBlue could resist having to reopen its IAD service from at least FLL, BOS, JFK, and LGB. Or, if Boston gets HQ2, it is hard to see how they don't ask for IAD as a destination in its own right.

__________________
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn

Last edited by Arlington; 10-09-2018 at 08:55 PM.
Arlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 09:26 PM   #3916
kmp1284
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Holland Park, W11
Posts: 1,715
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington View Post
The most likely HQ2 site is said to be literally across the street from Dulles Airport (the street being VA-28, and admittedly, the airport has a big front yard), but basically you can think of it as if the Boston HQ2 were at Maverick or Wood Island.

The 30-acre CIT campus and 2 adjacent parcels (all basically greenfield, and "right there" on both the highway grid and WMATA's Metro Silver Line)

CIT is also getting its own Metro stop (Innovation Center, now under construction), putting it 1 stop away from the airport.

http://www.dullesmetro.com/silver-line-stations/

If Amazon does pick that spot (at the star, below), I don't see how JetBlue could resist having to reopen its IAD service from at least FLL, BOS, JFK, and LGB. Or, if Boston gets HQ2, it is hard to see how they don't ask for IAD as a destination in its own right.
It's also possible that JetBlue is not one of Amazon's major air carriers and there's simply no reason for them to be in the market. Considering how little they offer in Seattle, I think that's a fairly safe bet. Also worth noting is that most people who travel frequently for business want the flexibility of a major airline and some of the perks like upgrades and lounge access.

Last edited by kmp1284; 10-10-2018 at 06:33 PM.
kmp1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 10:05 AM   #3917
Arlington
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: West Medford, MA
Posts: 3,311
Re: Logan Flight Additions

^ KMP, can you edit that post to remove the giant graphic (since it is not salient for your response)?

I think we know that even if B6 isn't an AMZN corporate travel partner, that its going to be irresistible for job interviews and vendors to access a campus across the street from IAD (even the way DCA serves Crystal City)
__________________
"Trying to solve congestion by making roadways wider is like trying to solve obesity by buying bigger pants."--Charles Marohn
Arlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 06:03 PM   #3918
jass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 4,053
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp1284 View Post
It's also possible that JetBlue is not one of Amazon's major air carriers and there's simply no reason for them to be in the market. Considering how little they offer in Seattle, I think that's a fairly safe bet. Also worth noting is that most people who travel frequently for business want the flexibility of a major airline and some of the perks like upgrades and lounge access.
Yup, corporate contracts are a big deal.
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:21 PM   #3919
kmp1284
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Holland Park, W11
Posts: 1,715
Re: Logan Flight Additions

BA A380 to operate daily next summer.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...ervice-in-s19/

And Lufthansa to operate A340-600 to Munich, bringing back F on that route.

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38...as-of-10oct18/
kmp1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:34 PM   #3920
Lrfox
Senior Member
 
Lrfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,208
Re: Logan Flight Additions

Not huge news by any stretch, but BOS will be one of the first U.S. cities to see service on the new a220. Starting in January, Delta will run it between BOS and LGA: https://news.delta.com/delta-s-new-a...-january-debut

I assume this will replace the 717s (the A320s probably aren't going anywhere) they use frequently on the route?
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
If Logan Airport were moved.... JS38 Development Projects 26 11-24-2008 04:25 PM
New Logan 9/11 Monument bostonman Development Projects 28 09-12-2008 12:55 PM
More international carrier gates at Logan stellarfun Transit and Infrastructure 13 06-09-2008 01:03 PM
If We Moved Logan Airport... Waldorf General Architecture & Urban Planning 4 04-05-2007 03:25 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.