archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Boston Architecture & Urbanism

Boston Architecture & Urbanism Discussions and photos regarding Boston area architecture and urbanism.

Old Today, 08:47 AM   #621
stellarfun

Re: Amazon HQ2 RFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
Thanks for posting this. For all of the flaws of the Suffolk Downs proposal, I was curious what other cities are throwing out there. People keep posting that Philly is all that, but I drove by the Navy Yard last week and if that's the best they can do, I'm not sure a sane person can say they've trumped Boston. That site has no transit and is completely cut off by an elevated interstate, I-95. I would be like Boston pitching a site next to the old 93 before the Big Dig.

Tough in a developed city to find a huge parcel with one owner near transit. I would imagine New York and DC are going to have similar issues, while places like Atlanta or Charlotte have no transit to speak of
DC also really couldn't find 100 acres.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.220deb977370

^^^^This is the largest of the sites from a contiguous land standpoint, but much of it is privately owned by multiple owners. The darkened areas in the background are a U.S. military installation.

The rendering appears to hide the new soccer stadium now under construction, which will be to the left of the gussied up South Capitol St bridge. (The stadium that can be seen is the baseball stadium.) Its possible the soccer stadium is shown as the rows of bright lights under the Washington Monument. But I can't be sure.

^^^The soccer stadium, looking to the north. S. Capitol St is out-of-frame right.

This site would be a bit of a hike to the nearest Metro station, but closer than the Broad St subway station that is the nearest station to the Philadelphia Navy Yard. Highway access is poor with respect to where tech workers would likely live; i.e., they won't be living in Anacostia.
Old Today, 02:52 PM   #622
shmessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
Thanks for posting this. For all of the flaws of the Suffolk Downs proposal, I was curious what other cities are throwing out there. People keep posting that Philly is all that, but I drove by the Navy Yard last week and if that's the best they can do, I'm not sure a sane person can say they've trumped Boston. That site has no transit and is completely cut off by an elevated interstate, I-95. I would be like Boston pitching a site next to the old 93 before the Big Dig.

Tough in a developed city to find a huge parcel with one owner near transit. I would imagine New York and DC are going to have similar issues, while places like Atlanta or Charlotte have no transit to speak of
Answer: Port Covington - Baltimore

-One developer owns all the land - 260 waterfront acres - - Under Armour's CEO Kevin Planck who is building his company's 21st century HQ on a portion of the land and is headfirst in favor of bringing in Amazon for the whatever amount of the rest they'd like - - easy.

- The area is right on the MARC commuter line 55 minutes directly into DC (where Mr. Bezos has a $29 million mansion and owns the Washington Post) and the light rail line 11 minutes directly into the International Terminal at BWI Airport.

The only obstacle is a comparatively high state income tax rate - - cuts for which are currently being planned by Republican Governor Larry Hogan.

Easy. Far easier than anything in the Boston proposals. No, it isn't Boston in terms of the universities, Johns Hopkins and the U of MD system isn't chopped liver either. Housing is far more plentiful and land for developing more is too. What Baltimore loses in terms of the (current) state tax rate, they more than make up for with the tech talent in nearby Howard and Montgomery Counties.

shmessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:37 PM   #623
Equilibria

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmessy View Post
Answer: Port Covington - Baltimore

-One developer owns all the land - 260 waterfront acres - - Under Armour's CEO Kevin Planck who is building his company's 21st century HQ on a portion of the land and is headfirst in favor of bringing in Amazon for the whatever amount of the rest they'd like - - easy.

- The area is right on the MARC commuter line 55 minutes directly into DC (where Mr. Bezos has a $29 million mansion and owns the Washington Post) and the light rail line 11 minutes directly into the International Terminal at BWI Airport.

The only obstacle is a comparatively high state income tax rate - - cuts for which are currently being planned by Republican Governor Larry Hogan.

Easy. Far easier than anything in the Boston proposals. No, it isn't Boston in terms of the universities, Johns Hopkins and the U of MD system isn't chopped liver either. Housing is far more plentiful and land for developing more is too. What Baltimore loses in terms of the (current) state tax rate, they more than make up for with the tech talent in nearby Howard and Montgomery Counties.

It would be appealing, but how is it "easier than anything in the Boston proposals?" Suffolk Downs is construction ready in March and has two nearly-exclusive Blue Line stations right now. Port Covington has the potential for one commuter rail station (access to DC but not to Virginia or most of the DC suburbs) and maybe could have street-running light rail someday, which is access to Downtown Baltimore but nowhere else, at least in their latest dead-end plan.

I'm not sure Suffolk Downs is their best option, but it's almost certainly their easiest.
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:32 PM   #624
stellarfun

I am not aware of a MARC station at/near Port Covington. The Camden line is some distance away. A light rail route has been proposed to reach Port Covington. I think a geographic analogy to Port Covington would be Squantum, or UMass Boston without the Red Line.
Old Today, 07:48 PM   #625
stellarfun

Additional criterion?

Quote:
Jeff Wilke, CEO of Amazonís worldwide consumer business and a member of the committee that will decide where HQ2 will be located, added a bit of detail that goes beyond Amazonís public request. In comments at a conference hosted by technology news site GeekWire last week, he said he hoped the company would choose a spot with public schools with an emphasis on science, technology, engineering and mathematics.
https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...nner-heats-up/

Wilje did his graduate work (MBA and MS in Chemical Engineering) at MIT's Leaders For Manufacturing program, where he focused on Total Quality and Process Improvement techniques. Mr. Wilke has a BSE Degree in Chemical Engineering from Princeton University.