archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 07-14-2017, 02:37 PM   #3161
greenlinetobrooklyn

Re: Biking in Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrfox View Post
3rd party hosting crap with photobucket... that's the last straw for me. I'll see if I can post from Imagur:
That's awesome, and way better than Cambridge's IF it actually keeps a running tally. I ride by this corner every day to and from work and can't wait to add to the count.
greenlinetobrooklyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:13 AM   #3162
Justin7

^Need to stop using photobucket. Try Imgur.
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:27 PM   #3163
statler
Administrator

Boston Globe 7/28/17
Quote:
For cyclists, BU Bridge closure is like ‘heaven’

The roadwork taking place along Commonwealth Avenue has forced the temporary closure of the Boston University Bridge to motorists, causing major headaches for commuters who rely on the span when traveling between Cambridge and Boston.

But for some cyclists going across the bridge this week, it felt like a little slice of “heaven.”
{...}
“It’s how I feel sometimes when it snows a lot, and the cars can’t go anywhere, and all the pedestrians are walking in the middle of the street,” she said, adding that she doesn’t own a car. “It’s like you’re getting away with something. It’s kind of neat, as someone who never has the power of the car.”
statler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:52 AM   #3164
Balerion

There's now a bike traffic light and green paint where the Cambridge Linear Park crosses Mass Ave in North Cambridge. You can now go from one end of the path to the other crossing Mass Ave directly without having to cross Mass Ave and then Cedar St.

I believe they have added an extra phase to the light cycle to facilitate this, but I'm not 100% sure.
Balerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 12:56 PM   #3165
sm89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balerion View Post
There's now a bike traffic light and green paint where the Cambridge Linear Park crosses Mass Ave in North Cambridge. You can now go from one end of the path to the other crossing Mass Ave directly without having to cross Mass Ave and then Cedar St.

I believe they have added an extra phase to the light cycle to facilitate this, but I'm not 100% sure.
It runs during the outbound lead from Mass onto Harvey (since Cedar is still red during that phase). They were able to add this in with literally no change to vehicular delay, just using some spare time in the existing cycle.
sm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 01:09 PM   #3166
ceo

Oh, that's excellent. That and closing the stub end of Harvey St to vehicular traffic make that path so much better.
ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:25 PM   #3167
sm89

This morning a cyclist was mowed down by a trash truck at the corner of Beacon and Carlton Sts in Brookline. Right hook by truck turning onto Carlton. He was conscious but his leg looked to be in rough shape.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:54 AM   #3168
BussesAin'tTrains

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm89 View Post
This morning a cyclist was mowed down by a trash truck at the corner of Beacon and Carlton Sts in Brookline. Right hook by truck turning onto Carlton. He was conscious but his leg looked to be in rough shape.
Yikes! I ride that stretch a lot. Usually trucks are pretty cautious because of the narrow lanes anyway, bikes riding in the right lane also helps slow down cars. Hope his leg mends up quick!

In other news, in Arlington:

I don't care how angry you are about cycling law, if you get stopped by a cop don't be an asshole, and certainly don't FLEE!
BussesAin'tTrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 03:12 PM   #3169
stefalarchitect

This looks relatively new(?) At the corner of Causeway and Merrimac St. Haven't been in this part of the city in a while and haven't seen it posted here before. Apologies if it has. I like the idea though.
Looks like they're finally finishing up construction here.

EDIT: I missed Lrfox post about it earlier last month.
stefalarchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 03:35 PM   #3170
vanshnookenraggen

What exactly is that?
Old 08-11-2017, 09:43 PM   #3171
stefalarchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanshnookenraggen View Post
What exactly is that?
A machine to count bikes, because why not? Honestly though, its rather interesting to walk by and see a live count of the number of bikes per day, month and year. They city gets good publicity in saying they had x-thousand bikes travel on their new bike lanes. Not to mention this live data could be used to help argue for more bike lanes.

Quick Google search brings up a similar (almost identical) counter in Oregon costing around $20,000.
stefalarchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:12 PM   #3172
chmeeee

There's one in Kendall as well.

https://goo.gl/maps/zJNjdAhSktL2
chmeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:13 AM   #3173
34f34f

And the data are public: http://eco-public.com/public2/?id=100023038
34f34f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 04:02 PM   #3174
34f34f

A lot of updates in Cambridge:

Thanks to participatory budgeting funds, separated bike lanes have been added to a couple blocks of Mass Ave between Trowbridge and Quincy streets (entering Harvard Square).

Also thanks to PB, a 2-way cycle track was installed on Brattle Street. This provides much-needed protected east-west connectivity into the square. The Harvard Square Business Association hates the cycle track because it's harder to double park on the lightly used street. They got the mayor to propose an order slowing new bike facility construction, but due to vague language and opposition from hundreds of bike lane supporters, the resolution got watered down to "let's communicate better."

Just last week, the city installed parking-separated bike lanes going both ways on Cambridge Street, between Quincy Street (Harvard Sq) and Antrim St (Inman Sq).

At the kick-off event, city councillor Marc McGovern said:
Quote:
In the last 4 yrs Cambridge has allocated $4m to bike infrastructure and over next several years were allocating $30m
Up next: North Mass Ave, which will mainly be getting standard bike lanes (but that's still a huge improvement for the many people who bike in from Arlington etc.). Some reddit comments from the public meeting yesterday.
Old 08-29-2017, 05:58 PM   #3175
sm89

Also, Broadway between Hampshire and Galilei got MULTI LANE buffered bike lanes. I don't think I've seen separate queuing spaces for different bike directions anywhere else in the region. This is probably the busiest section for biking in the entire city.

https://twitter.com/johnhawkinson/st...57017677557764
Old 08-31-2017, 08:37 AM   #3176
34f34f

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm89 View Post
Also, Broadway between Hampshire and Galilei got MULTI LANE buffered bike lanes. I don't think I've seen separate queuing spaces for different bike directions anywhere else in the region. This is probably the busiest section for biking in the entire city.

https://twitter.com/johnhawkinson/st...57017677557764
As of this morning, the eastbound bike lane is now flexpost-separated for the entire block--it had been repainted with a buffer after recent street work but was missing physical separation.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:42 PM   #3177
stevebikes

I run along Commercial St all the time to check out the progress of the CHB cycle track, but I haven't had the occasion to actually bike in it until yesterday. I had an appointment on Hanover St that I was biking to, so instead of going up Cross St as I usually do, I decided to take the right and stay on Atlantic and come up Hanover on the far side. I knew they were still working on this part (and in fact the road in front of the park was in the middle of repaving so it wasn't exactly a smooth ride), but I figured I could at least try out the two blocks of cycle track that are finished south of Hanover St.

Of course, as soon as I could pull onto the cycle track, this happened:

Just casually parked with no one inside.
stevebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:47 PM   #3178
ant8904

I thought the one good thing about sidewalk side cycle tracks is cars can't park on them...
ant8904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:43 PM   #3179
Arlington

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant8904 View Post
I thought the one good thing about sidewalk side cycle tracks is cars can't park on them...
I'd like to view delivery/mail trucks as the same kind of natural allies to bikes that buses are:
1) they combine a whole lot of people's trip demand into one surprisingly small vehicle...probably more efficiently than any other mode (rail, bus, bike, or ped)
2) They are a natural alternative to a whole lot of shopping trips for which, today, SOV cars are the dominant street-clogger

When I'm military governor of this district, we will have "active loading unloading only" spots every 200' on every urbanized zone.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:50 AM   #3180
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington View Post
I'd like to view delivery/mail trucks as the same kind of natural allies to bikes that buses are:
1) they combine a whole lot of people's trip demand into one surprisingly small vehicle...probably more efficiently than any other mode (rail, bus, bike, or ped)
2) They are a natural alternative to a whole lot of shopping trips for which, today, SOV cars are the dominant street-clogger

When I'm military governor of this district, we will have "active loading unloading only" spots every 200' on every urbanized zone.
I agree with everything you said there.

The delivery truck still should not be parking in a cycle track.