archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 04-27-2018, 01:31 PM   #2841
cden4

Re: Green Line Extension to Medford & Union Sq

I think it almost always makes sense to have commuter rail to subway transfer at the end of the subway line. That would also make the Alewife garage useful for people taking commuter rail, and that could take some load off the Red Line. I suppose you could eliminate the Porter CR stop, but the point of Regional Rail is to have closer-together stations. Having the station at Alewife makes a lot of sense for people who live near Alewife as well. If they're going to Union Square or North Station, they would then be able to take one train rather than two. And it would allow them to reverse commute without going in to go out.
cden4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2018, 10:33 AM   #2842
ryblogs

Saw this on my walk into Union Sq this morning, thought it was hilariously general... "5/2018 to 9/2021"

ryblogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:56 PM   #2843
BostonUrbEx

Ha! Shared your image to New Urbanist Memes for Transit-Oriented Teens. I found the broad time frame very amusing.
BostonUrbEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:19 AM   #2844
ceo

Might as well add "IT'S GONNA SUCK".
ceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:08 AM   #2845
Arlington

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryblogs View Post
Saw this on my walk into Union Sq this morning, thought it was hilariously general... "5/2018 to 9/2021"
It is hilariously general for roadside variable message signs, but I'd say refreshingly specific and helpful compared to the old school "your tax dollars at work" or the usual Governor/Mayor/Secretary/Board/Engineer list of bigwigs.

Since it isn't a "traffic now" or "construction soon" sign, we'd have to say it is purely a "political" message (in the sense of being related to we, as a polity make policy)

As a political message, it says:
1) ITS HAPPENING (picture Ron Paul meme here)
2) When does it start (May 2018)
3) When will we get there (Sept 2021)

That's way more useful than the usual placard of bigwigs and funding sources (which often omit target completion dates...although, I suppose, a promised completion date from a VMS is less binding than paint-on-plywood)
Old 05-09-2018, 08:04 AM   #2846
Arch101

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryblogs View Post

In todays weather: rain followed by sun. Followed by darkness. After that, some light.
Arch101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 06:40 AM   #2847
BeeLine

Don't get too excited, but they have removed the trees and brush from behind the Glassworks Apt. building. Are we seeing the start of something GOOD?????

BeeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:14 AM   #2848
Arlington

All kinds of vegetation and trash is being cleared up and down the right of way, often in conjunction with soil testing rigs and survey work.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:04 PM   #2849
RandomWalk

I think thatís for the adjacent Somerville High School project.
RandomWalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:06 PM   #2850
FitchburgLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomWalk View Post
I think thatís for the adjacent Somerville High School project.
Is it for both? The wall looks placed to widen the RoW on the Green Line side
FitchburgLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 02:16 PM   #2851
RandomWalk

Derenzo is not one of the GLX contractors, and itís on the far side of the service drive at the school.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:19 PM   #2852
FitchburgLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomWalk View Post
Derenzo is not one of the GLX contractors, and itís on the far side of the service drive at the school.
That's unfortunate, but thanks for the info
FitchburgLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 06:20 AM   #2853
stefalarchitect

Is Middlesex a contractor? There's some equipment from them along the Lowell line. In addition, there is a bunch of equipment that has a temporary white plastic "GLX Constructors" sign on them, with a symbol of a green line car and everything; still not sure what company they're from, I'll try to pick it out one of these days. I'd say they've commenced on ROW clearing and some preliminary grade work, at least...
stefalarchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:29 AM   #2854
RandomWalk

They have pulled the old fourth track from the ROW, and theyíre doing a bunch of grubbing. The current end of the bike path had a nice view of the work.
Old 07-10-2018, 05:23 PM   #2855
ryblogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefalarchitect View Post
Is Middlesex a contractor? There's some equipment from them along the Lowell line. In addition, there is a bunch of equipment that has a temporary white plastic "GLX Constructors" sign on them, with a symbol of a green line car and everything; still not sure what company they're from, I'll try to pick it out one of these days. I'd say they've commenced on ROW clearing and some preliminary grade work, at least...
yes

http://www.av20170164.com/team.html
ryblogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:08 AM   #2856
stick n move

I dont remember hearing about extending the green line on the other end down south huntington to centre st. Anyone know whats up with this?

stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:14 AM   #2857
stick n move

Something I noticed watching the video of the expansion to Medford is that its essentially going to perform just like a subway. There are no at grade crossings it just stays on its own dedicated track so this end of the green line will be much better performing than the southern portion where you have to wait at red lights and theres a ton of at grade crossings. The stations are also much more spaced out on this new northern leg so your not stopping every 45 seconds at a dozen stations either. This looks like its going to be extremely well performing for a leg of the green line and it will essentially be like riding the red line just on smaller cars. All this means that this portion will be much faster since there are less stations, they are more spaced out, there are no at grade crossings, red lights, traffic, so its going to be just like riding one of the true subway lines. Looks great.
stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:25 AM   #2858
Arlington

^ which is why they saw the need for fare gates and 4-car platforms (before going with POP fare system to save on station costs)
Old 07-30-2018, 11:02 AM   #2859
bakgwailo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick n move View Post
I dont remember hearing about extending the green line on the other end down south huntington to centre st. Anyone know whats up with this?

Can't watch the video yet, but I thought that was in the City of Boston's 2030 plan?
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 12:15 PM   #2860
sm89

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
Can't watch the video yet, but I thought that was in the City of Boston's 2030 plan?
It was an outside advocacy group that was working on it. Secretary Pollock was VERY involved before she became secretary. Since then though, I'm not sure anything else has happened? She hasn't really spoken about it since.
sm89 is offline   Reply With Quote