archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:44 AM   #21
JSic

Re: Residential Tower | 26 Court St. | Government Center

Modernist towers generally suck but I like 1 Boston Place. Its dark color adds something different to the skyline, and its not fat like 1 Beacon or 1 Federal.
JSic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:03 AM   #22
DZH22

Re: Residential Tower | 26 Court St. | Government Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSic View Post
Modernist towers generally suck but I like 1 Boston Place. Its dark color adds something different to the skyline, and its not fat like 1 Beacon or 1 Federal.
Yes, there's only 3 black highrises in the city that I can think of. One of them is more of a landscraper between South Station and the Fort Point Channel. 100 Summer St is quite imposing up close but still squat and fat overall. 1 Boston Place is a dominant, differentiating tower, particularly from the North. It and the Fed both have that brooding, almost evil look to them that really stands out in a sea of brown boxes and will continue to stand out once we have our likely sea of glass in a few years. It looks its best on weird, dystopian weather days, such as a hazy brown sky I remember from a few years back where it seemed to materialize out of thin air when viewed from near North Station. It looks like the building that Darth Vader would have his regional office in, with the main office of course being the John Hancock Building in Chicago.
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cronin, downtown crossing, government center, housing, mixed use