archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-23-2018, 11:02 PM   #1181
odurandina
Senior Member
 
odurandina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 3,838
Re: Harvard - Allston Campus

Thank you BeeLine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpicture7 View Post
^ agreed. This development is part of a monumental effort to remake Western Ave and surrounding neighborhoods....

Western Ave is tough...it has long barren stretches...some pockets of blight. It will take a concerted effort (and patience) to weave it all together. But very glad to see it underway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick n move View Post
I love to see this. Harvard is making this building to seamlessly fit into the fabric of the university and when finished it will look like it was always there. Its matching the rest of the architecture of the campus perfectly.
incredible!
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:51 AM   #1182
BeeLine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8,226
Re: Harvard - Allston Campus











BeeLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:13 AM   #1183
BeeLine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8,226
Re: Harvard - Allston Campus

District Energy Facility.









Found this rendering on the bldup website.
Harvard-University-District-Energy-Facility-Allston-Landing-Boston-12-Western-Avenue-Leers-Weinzapfel-Associates

Last edited by BeeLine; 02-19-2018 at 09:33 PM.
BeeLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 05:54 PM   #1184
odurandina
Senior Member
 
odurandina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 3,838
Re: Harvard - Allston Campus

Wow. The massive expansion into the former train yards is really getting hammered by some iag members and concerned members of the Board. iag is a bunch of wusses.

Landsmark; "I want you to do this right. Frankly, i'm disappointed. Where is the President of Harvard University? Why is he not here?"

Dozens of concerned questions.... dialogue is running very long.

Monahan seems to get it.

Harvard; "We don't even have a development partner yet...."

Sends a huge message to Amazon,

in other words.....

APPROVED...
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:28 PM   #1185
shmessy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,167
Re: Harvard - Allston Campus

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
Wow. The massive expansion into the former train yards is really getting hammered by some iag members and concerned members of the Board. iag is a bunch of wusses.

Landsmark; "I want you to do this right. Frankly, i'm disappointed. Where is the President of Harvard University? Why is he not here?"

Dozens of concerned questions.... dialogue is running very long.

Monahan seems to get it.

Harvard; "We don't even have a development partner yet...."

Sends a huge message to Amazon,

in other words.....

APPROVED...
Can we get an English translation of this post?
shmessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:25 PM   #1186
dwash59
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Allston
Posts: 565
Re: Harvard - Allston Campus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmessy View Post
Can we get an English translation of this post?
On the BPDA board agenda tonight, there was a PDA for part of Harvard's eventual Enterprise Research Campus. For some reason, odurandina thinks this has something to do with former train yards, but none of this proposal is on former train yards.

The architect on the board, Landsmark, criticizes Harvard for not bringing anything real to the board. He's right, Harvard just has a layout of the site, no real building plans. This project is Harvard's largest and they have a new president. He should be there describing their vision. Steve Jobs went to the Cupertino City Council to present the new Apple Campus. Why wouldn't Harvard's president be present to describe how they aim to develop this huge chunk of land?

The union guy on the board, Monahan, is supportive because he just wants jobs for his union and Harvard always hire union workers for their jobs.

I have no idea what the rest of this is about other than some weird belief by odurandina that Harvard is trying to court Amazon as a potential development partner when that is clearly not what they are doing.
dwash59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:23 PM   #1187
odurandina
Senior Member
 
odurandina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 3,838
Re: Harvard - Allston Campus

Thanks. i'm no quick study on this. i didn't think Harvard is courting Amazon per se. More like having this thing moving forward improves the messaging for Boston's Amazon HQ2 bid. Then again, i'm probably overstating the potential value in the context of Amazon, here.

That's a lot of land over that way. i'm needing a program guide with lots of illustrations, maps, diagrams and big fonts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonPlans
38. 5:30 p.m.: Request authorization to approve the Master Plan for Planned Development Area No. 115, Harvard Enterprise Research Campus pursuant to Section 80C-5.4 of the Zoning Code for the first phase of the Harvard University’s Enterprise Research Campus in Allston; to petition the Zoning Commission for approval of the PDA Master Plan and associated map amendment removing the Institutional Master Plan Area Overlay District from a portion of the area and adding a Planned Development Area Overly District to the entire area; and, to take all related actions.
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:32 AM   #1188
shmessy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,167
Re: Harvard - Allston Campus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwash59 View Post
On the BPDA board agenda tonight, there was a PDA for part of Harvard's eventual Enterprise Research Campus. For some reason, odurandina thinks this has something to do with former train yards, but none of this proposal is on former train yards.

The architect on the board, Landsmark, criticizes Harvard for not bringing anything real to the board. He's right, Harvard just has a layout of the site, no real building plans. This project is Harvard's largest and they have a new president. He should be there describing their vision. Steve Jobs went to the Cupertino City Council to present the new Apple Campus. Why wouldn't Harvard's president be present to describe how they aim to develop this huge chunk of land?

The union guy on the board, Monahan, is supportive because he just wants jobs for his union and Harvard always hire union workers for their jobs.

I have no idea what the rest of this is about other than some weird belief by odurandina that Harvard is trying to court Amazon as a potential development partner when that is clearly not what they are doing.
Thanks, dwash!

Here's the Globe story on last night;

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/...NFK/story.html
shmessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:43 AM   #1189
shmessy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,167
Re: Harvard - Allston Campus

LOL - - evidently the Globe reporter had to leave the meeting early last night and didn't care (nor did his editor) to complete the story on what else the meeting was addressing

"...The Allston plan was one several major projects before the board Thursday evening.

It was also set to vote on a plan to dole out $5 million in annual tax breaks to Amazon, in return for the company bringing 2,000 new jobs to the Seaport District.

Also on the docket was a proposed condominium tower on Boylston Street, expansion of Hood Park in Charlestown, and redevelopment of the One Post Office Square building downtown.

Tim Logan can be reached at timothy.logan@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter at @bytimlogan."
shmessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:52 AM   #1190
stellarfun
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: salem ma and washington dc
Posts: 4,389
Re: Harvard - Allston Campus

The current President of Harvard is the 'old' President, Drew Faust. There is not yet a new President, and the President-to-be cannot represent Harvard in any official way.

Landsmark is a graduate of Yale, so he was either grandstanding, or is a fool, or both.
__________________
A man gazing on the stars is at the mercy of the puddles in the road
stellarfun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:06 AM   #1191
shmessy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,167
Re: Harvard - Allston Campus

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmessy View Post
LOL - - evidently the Globe reporter had to leave the meeting early last night and didn't care (nor did his editor) to complete the story on what else the meeting was addressing

"...The Allston plan was one several major projects before the board Thursday evening.

It was also set to vote on a plan to dole out $5 million in annual tax breaks to Amazon, in return for the company bringing 2,000 new jobs to the Seaport District.

Also on the docket was a proposed condominium tower on Boylston Street, expansion of Hood Park in Charlestown, and redevelopment of the One Post Office Square building downtown.

Tim Logan can be reached at timothy.logan@globe.com. Follow him on Twitter at @bytimlogan."

Mr. Logan and his Globe editor must've had tickets to the opera or something.

At least Odurandina stayed to report the approval of the Post Office Sq project at 7:34pm.

Post #115: http://www.archboston.org/community/...830#post315830

Seriously, when will the Globe start hiring FULL TIME reporters instead of soccer moms and dads?
shmessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:05 AM   #1192
estyle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 203
Re: Harvard - Allston Campus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarfun View Post
The current President of Harvard is the 'old' President, Drew Faust. There is not yet a new President, and the President-to-be cannot represent Harvard in any official way.

Landsmark is a graduate of Yale, so he was either grandstanding, or is a fool, or both.
While Landsmark is a complicated person, he provides a useful perspective on the BPDA board. I'm actually surprised by how piss poor Harvard's submission is. They should be embarrassed by the lack of content and poor graphics (they do have a pretty well regarded Urban Design program and the funds to hire someone competent to plan for them). I'm sad that the BPDA let them get away with this. It will be interesting to see what happens when they have a development partner and how much that diverges from this.
estyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:12 AM   #1193
odurandina
Senior Member
 
odurandina's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 3,838
Re: Harvard - Allston Campus

Indeed, Tim had 4 topics to cover ranging from huge to enormous.... He could be seen banging away on his laptop for a solid 2 no make that 3 hours–taking notes and probably writing his first draft for the Harvard-Allston Campus project .... He remained quite busy throughout the evening speaking with Harvard and Post Office Square officials....

There was a lot of info to cover to fill in the story after the 90 minute Harvard project discussion, back and forth with the Board and several iag nutjobs (about to see their property values soar to Pluto).....

A video transcript of the discussion would be of great benefit to this thread.

i wonder if the eventual, total urbanization of Allston/Brighton is near.

Last edited by odurandina; 03-16-2018 at 10:23 AM.
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:42 AM   #1194
Harry Mattison
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 103
Re: Harvard - Allston Campus

Boston Planning & Development Agency Meeting 03-15-18
https://youtu.be/mojAvJtWwik?t=1h50m10s
Harry Mattison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:41 AM   #1195
BeeLine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8,226
Re: Harvard - Allston Campus













BeeLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 09:51 AM   #1196
BeeLine
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 8,226
Re: Harvard - Allston Campus





BeeLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:38 AM   #1197
estyle
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 203
Re: Harvard - Allston Campus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeLine View Post




Thanks for these. I haven't be by there in a while, this one is certainly growing. It is also pretty funny looking at this stage--looking forward to seeing it finished.
estyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 10:53 AM   #1198
kz1000ps
Senior Member
 
kz1000ps's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: man hat tan
Posts: 7,528
Re: Harvard - Allston Campus

Quote:
Originally Posted by estyle View Post
It is also pretty funny looking at this stage--
For real. The lack of a proper core makes it look more like temporary staging. Plus the fact the non-structural steel is almost as tall as the structural stuff is unusual. Like Steve Buscemi, "funny looking!"
__________________
Politicians, ugly buildings and whores all get respectable if they last long enough.
kz1000ps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:04 AM   #1199
cca
Senior Member
 
cca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,294
Re: Harvard - Allston Campus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz1000ps View Post
For real. The lack of a proper core makes it look more like temporary staging. Plus the fact the non-structural steel is almost as tall as the structural stuff is unusual. Like Steve Buscemi, "funny looking!"
Your going to love this when it is done. Leers Weinzapfel are great designers. It will be a new landmark.

Not a real core because its not an "occupied" building. Just equipment. The non-structural steel is structural. Its holding up the screen wall that will keep us from having to look at the garbage that has to go on a roof like this.

Dont get too AB on us. This one will be a winner.

cca

Last edited by cca; 03-23-2018 at 08:31 AM.
cca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 08:07 AM   #1200
Equilibria
Senior Member
 
Equilibria's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,045
Re: Harvard - Allston Campus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cca View Post
Your going to love this when it is done. Leers Weinzapfel are great designers. It will be a new landmark.

Not a real core because its not an "occupied" building. Just equipment. The non-structural steel is structural. Its holding up the screen wall that will keep us from having to look at the garbage that has to go on a roof like this.

Got get to AB on us. This one will be a winner.

cca
I'm sure someone has posted the renderings at some point, but I hadn't seen them:

https://www.lwa-architects.com/proje...ergy-facility/
Equilibria is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
allston, college/university, harvard, new construction

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harvard Square in Allston? ablarc Design a Better Boston 51 03-06-2009 09:55 AM
BRA Meeting: Charlesview Redevelopment (Harvard Allston) briv Boston Architecture/Urbanism Related Events 1 03-10-2008 08:48 AM
Charlesview Redevelopment Meeting (Harvard Allston Dev.) briv Boston Architecture/Urbanism Related Events 0 02-13-2008 01:10 PM
Harvard Allston development JS38 Development Projects 1 11-26-2006 09:04 PM
Harvard Allston Life Sciences complex JS38 Development Projects 1 09-26-2006 11:13 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.