archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 12-22-2016, 08:25 AM   #3001
F-Line to Dudley

Re: Biking in Boston

Wow. That's not a really racist hottake at all.
F-Line to Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 08:36 AM   #3002
CSTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by whighlander View Post
FK -- Boston hasn't been very strictly a Puritanical City for quite a while
http://www.cc.com/shows/drunk-history
CSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 10:19 AM   #3003
cden4

"Agreed, but now they need to widen the pedestrian part and paint signage to get joggers off the bike side."

Actually, the new "bike side" is multi-use. It's not bikes only.
cden4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 02:36 PM   #3004
Shepard

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Line to Dudley View Post
Wow. That's not a really racist hottake at all.
I thought it was actually pretty hilarious and maybe even somewhat accurate (though hardly specific to Boston)

A friend of mine was a lifeguard at the JCC in Newton and found that the older Russian emigres wouldn't listen to anything he said - they came to America for Freedom, after all.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 04:48 PM   #3005
Uncivil_Engineer

There is now green paint extending through the River St./Cambridge St./Soldiers Field Road mess. No pics because I was driving, but I'll try to grab some tomorrow if I remember. Presumably DCR saying "we tried" before revisiting this next year?
Uncivil_Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 12:53 PM   #3006
matredsoxfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncivil_Engineer View Post
There is now green paint extending through the River St./Cambridge St./Soldiers Field Road mess. No pics because I was driving, but I'll try to grab some tomorrow if I remember. Presumably DCR saying "we tried" before revisiting this next year?
The state is in the middle of a $2.9 Million project at that intersection now. The project will upgrade the existing traffic signal, place signs above the road for lane identification, geometric improvements to the intersection, installing ADA complaint pedestrian ramps but also includes building a cycle track from River St to Western Ave along Soldiers Field Road. The project is 6% complete and is expected to be completed in Summer 2017.
matredsoxfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 01:09 PM   #3007
FK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by matredsoxfan View Post
The state is in the middle of a $2.9 Million project at that intersection now. The project will upgrade the existing traffic signal, place signs above the road for lane identification, geometric improvements to the intersection, installing ADA complaint pedestrian ramps but also includes building a cycle track from River St to Western Ave along Soldiers Field Road. The project is 6% complete and is expected to be completed in Summer 2017.
What's the deal with bicycle underpasses when they rebuild the bridges? Is that still on track? The segment of "bike path" approaching the River St Bridge is almost too narrow for two bikes to pass each other as it is right now.
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2016, 04:20 PM   #3008
Randomgear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FK4 View Post
What's the deal with bicycle underpasses when they rebuild the bridges? Is that still on track?
The underpasses were not included in the 2017-2021 MassDOT Capitol Improvement Plan.
In a 1 to 3 rating system, MassDOT classified only bike and ped improvements were rated as tier 3, all other type of projects were given preference.
Randomgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:24 AM   #3009
FK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomgear View Post
The underpasses were not included in the 2017-2021 MassDOT Capitol Improvement Plan.
In a 1 to 3 rating system, MassDOT classified only bike and ped improvements were rated as tier 3, all other type of projects were given preference.
Wow, seriously? I don't actually know what the timeline is for the bridges to be done - is there still a chance then it is it all over?

I thought the Anderson was definitely going to get it also...
FK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 03:18 AM   #3010
Randomgear

Anderson had water and gas lines reworked so as not to preclude a future underpass but an underpass wasn't part of the original bid scope and it wasn't added to the project.

I don't know about the other bridges, my hope is that they will also be reconstructed to not preclude future underpasses.
Randomgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:44 PM   #3011
Scipio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington View Post
If you are a bike commuter or anyone who rides a bike as "street transportation", please add the Ride Report app to your smartphone so we can crowdsource data on how well our grid is working for bikes:

https://ride.report
The Boston map launched recently:

https://ride.report/boston

Not too much data on there yet, I bet they are discarding some routes that are only used by a few people with the app to preserve anonymity. I don't get how the block-by-block rankings work since I'm only asked to rate each ride as "great" or "not great".
Scipio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:38 AM   #3012
JeffDowntown

$50 fine for cars/trucks stopping or parking in a bike lane is headed for the governor's desk.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/loc...g_in_bike_lane
Old 01-06-2017, 11:33 AM   #3013
Scipio

Snow clearing on the Mass Ave cycle track:
Before:

After:
Old 01-10-2017, 11:39 PM   #3014
Scipio

The old South Bay Harbor Trail proposal is back, the city now has funding to link Albany Street in the South End through to the Harborwalk on Fort Point Channel. Very little info up now but they have a meeting on January 26th:

https://www.boston.gov/departments/t...-trail-project
https://www.boston.gov/calendar/sout...public-meeting

edit: map:

Last edited by Scipio; 01-11-2017 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:04 PM   #3015
Arlington

I am posting here two pieces of news that would ordinarily go in the "Biking in the Boston burbs" thread, but I'm posting them here because it's news from the innermost "781"/Zone 1A ring of suburbs wanting to be more like and better integrated into bikable/hubway "metro-core" service area:

The Town of Arlington has moved one step closer to picking a bike-share vendor with Hubway being the leading contender. Sorry for no link, I'm working from my phone.

Also in other not quite 617 news, the City of Medford has voted to lower its default speed limit to 25 miles per hour matching Arlington Cambridge Somerville and Boston. The speed limit was lowered by the Medford traffic commission which had been empowered (asked) to adopt the 25 mile per hour limit by the city council.Next up is the city council appropriating money for a full-time traffic engineer to start changing the default geometry of Medford city streets as projects arise.
Old 01-12-2017, 10:40 AM   #3016
Scipio

Interesting, I think I remember that the new regional bikeshare RFP wanted to try make it easier for towns like Medford, Newton, Watertown, and Arlington to dip into the program for just a couple docks in the neighborhoods where it makes sense. For Arlington I'd imagine that they want docks at Thorndike, Spy Pond, Lake and Mass, and Arlington Center.
Old 01-12-2017, 12:19 PM   #3017
Arlington

See this WickedLocal article: Town [of Arlington] mulls bike-share program, favors Hubway option

In a nutshell, they're being careful to solicit competitive offers (Hubway, Zagster, & municipal), but many feel hubway is inevitable:
Quote:
The Zagster system [http://www.zagster.com/], which offers lighter-weight and perhaps more comfortable bikes than Hubway, is seen as a good approach by the working group if the town wanted to set up a bike-share system along the Minuteman Bikeway with Bedford and Lexington...[but] it looks like Bedford may no longer be interested in bike-share, making the option less attractive.

The local option, while offering the greatest ability to tailor a system to Arlington's specific needs, did not draw any interest from selectmen primarily because it could not connect to other towns or MBTA transit.

The potential revenue from using Hubway also seemed to tip the scale. The working group projects it would cost $243,000 to purchase five Hubway stations and 50 bikes. Annual operating cost for this infrastructure would be $125,000. But the working group estimates the Hubway stations and bikes could bring in $196,000 in annual revenue between user fees and sponsorships, by far the most revenue of the three options.
Emphasis mine.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #3018
dwash59

As Hubway expands into more outlying neighborhoods,I think they should up the time from 30min to 45min. Even in the first few years, there were some point-to-point rides that were ~35 minutes, possibly 40 in traffic. For instance, Google has Alewife to the WTC in the seaport at 48 minutes biking. For some, that is part of their commute.
dwash59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:33 PM   #3019
Arlington

It is really expensive to rebalance the Hubway system if it is used for whole commutes: Core stations overfill, edge stations empty, and the system can only originate or terminate exactly as many trips as it has bikes and docks.

Or bikes have to be man-handled out of the core as the morning rush-hour progresses and then need to be dragged back into the core in order to supply the evening Rush Hour. It ends up being a bike valet service which is very labor-intensive instead of a bike sharing service which operates on a self-service basis.

Extending the time limit for trips would only make this problem worse because it would really facilitate long one-way trips that are not easily balanced.

If you really want to commute by bike from Arlington to the Seaport either you should buy a personal bike ( and we should make sure that there is a safe weatherproof place to park it in the Seaport,) or you can use Hubway from Arlington Center to Alewife and from South Station to Seaport but take the Red Line in between.

What the system wants is for every trip from Arlington center to Alewife to be balanced buy an errand trip from Alewife back to Arlington center, or at least a commuting trip to Cambridge Park Drive.

And for every trip from South Station to the seaport be balanced by a lunch trip from the Seaport back to South Station. Hubway works best as a Frst Mile & Last Mile system but leaves the Long Middle trips to traditional rail or bus transit.

Last edited by Arlington; 01-13-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Arlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 03:52 PM   #3020
Arlington

So, I saw my first zagster bike today at Canal Park (Lechmere), which also happens to be near their First St HQ (or co-HQ with San Francisco)

http://bike.zagster.com/riders/

Can anyone help me understand how/why Zagster & Hubway Exist side by side?

About 3 posts upthread, Zagster was named as a "not leading" option for the Town of Arlington.

Is zagster succeeding at the "workplace" scale even if it can't compete at the "town" scale?