archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Design a Better Boston

Design a Better Boston Are you disappointed with the state of Boston's current architecture/development? Think you have a better idea? Post it here.

Old 05-04-2017, 11:32 AM   #3201
DominusNovus

Re: Crazy Transit Pitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
Quincy-based streetcar network - almost certainly existed decades ago! - a route from Quincy Center down Washington/3A to Hingham and up to Nantasket/Hull.

Beyond streetcars I don't know how you'd get light rail there unless there is room next to the Greenbish ROW, which I doubt.
How about you run it along Hancock up to N. Quincy, which would give you a little more room to build a terminus. I'd also say, where possible, bury it, particularly along 3a in Quincy/Weymouth (to help avoid the Fore River bridge).
Old 05-04-2017, 11:41 AM   #3202
Shepard

Or, we can just build a time machine:
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 11:43 AM   #3203
Shepard

Also, for reference - a history of Quincy and South Shore streetcar lines
http://thomascranelibrary.org/sites/...les/1996.2.pdf
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 01:33 PM   #3204
DominusNovus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepard View Post
Also, for reference - a history of Quincy and South Shore streetcar lines
http://thomascranelibrary.org/sites/...les/1996.2.pdf
Interesting and insightful piece. Of course, it focuses on Quincy, and not the surrounding towns.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:30 AM   #3205
bakgwailo

Here is something I don't think I have seen discussed here yet. I don't really think this is a super crazy idea, but, I guess for the MBTA it might be. So, I was thinking about how to add capacity (while almost being crushed to death @ DTX) and I thought of the Red Line being lengthened back when the Braintree line was added. It seems like that wouldn't be very easy to do again on the Red Line (considering the half ass job they did the first time for many of the underground stations), but I started to look at the Orange, and it seems like it wouldn't be too terrible to add platform length on most of the line. I realize the new rolling stock will provide better head ways/capacity, and things like extending it also need to happen, but it seemed like a reasonable idea to think they could also lengthen the trains.

It looks like pretty much every station south of Tufts would be easy enough to extend the platforms for - basically any station in the Southwest Corridor. It also looks like (from basically Google Maps aerial views) it extending platforms on stations north of North Station would also be fairly straightforward. That would leave just six (out of 20) stations that would probably be fairly coplex: North Station, Haymarket, State, DTX, Chinatown, and Tufts. Does anyone know if it would be feasible to extend the platforms in these stations? I would expect anything in the Washington St Tunnel to be the worst. Even Half platform stub ends (like the Red Line extension) would probably be OK, but not ideal.

I would think adding enough platform space for even one more pair (2 cars), assuming more rolling stock is purchased to accommodate this, along with the improvements the new rolling stock is bringing (including more sets to run better frequencies) would really go a long way in reducing current and future congestion on the Orange Line.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:36 PM   #3206
DominusNovus

Wouldn't it be easier to run more trains?
Old 05-16-2017, 12:47 PM   #3207
The EGE

Extending the Orange (or Red) lines to eight cars isn't out of the realm of possibility, but it's unlikely to be necessary. The Orange Line can go as low as four-minute headways and the Red Line as low as 3. That's basically a 50% increase in capacity that's possible, and the new fleets are intended to get partway there. The Orange Line will drop to about 4.5-minute headways; the Red Line will probably stay at 4.5 minutes for most of rush hour, but a few extra trains will drop it to 3-minute headways at the peak of the peak.

The new trains will have better deceleration and acceleration, and changes to the signal system will help pack trains a bit denser. The really important part is controlling headway reliability by aggressive real-time control and by and controlling dwell times. The first part can be helped by modern location data and semi-automated control measures. The second will be helped by the wider doors, although some stations could also be modified for better passenger flow.
The EGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:45 PM   #3208
Wash

This comes from the amateur planner blog, and is a few years old, but is still an interesting possibility.

http://amateurplanner.blogspot.com/2...de-tunnel.html

In short: Wouldn't it be cheaper if, instead of tunneling underneath Charles/MGH station to build a red/blue connector, we just re-used the old street level Streetcar portal on Cambridge street to take blue line trains to the surface, elevated the line for two or so blocks, then built an elevated blue line platform right onto the existing red line station?
Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:49 PM   #3209
Proposition Joe

What would you do with the Blue Line if you wanted to extend it further?

I don't think an elevated Blue Line extension would work well with plans to de-highway Storrow Drive and create some riverfront development because it would block riverfront views and create a new barrier between Back Bay and the esplanade.

Frankly though, the Red-Blue Connector is a cheap project if MassDOT were able to honestly assess transit project costs. Ari talks about it here: Link.
Proposition Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:24 PM   #3210
whittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by The EGE View Post
The Orange Line can go as low as four-minute headways and the Red Line as low as 3.
Why can the RL support a lower headway than the OL? I would've expected the OL would have a lower theoretical limit due to its lack of sharp curves.
whittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:13 PM   #3211
bakgwailo

Quote:
Originally Posted by whittle View Post
Why can the RL support a lower headway than the OL? I would've expected the OL would have a lower theoretical limit due to its lack of sharp curves.
Plus the Orange line doesn't have to branch. I always thought the OL could support better headways than the RL, they just never had the need (or rolling stock) to do so - isn't the signaling system pretty much the same ancient ATC system?
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:44 PM   #3212
Charlie_mta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wash View Post
TWouldn't it be cheaper if, instead of tunneling underneath Charles/MGH station to build a red/blue connector, we just re-used the old street level Streetcar portal on Cambridge street to take blue line trains to the surface, elevated the line for two or so blocks, then built an elevated blue line platform right onto the existing red line station?
Or, a step further: Re-open the old portal and run the Blue Line trains at street level in a separated reservation down the center of Cambridge Street.

Use the overhead catenary option already existing on the Blue Line cars. No third rail needed.
Charlie_mta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:51 AM   #3213
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_mta View Post
Or, a step further: Re-open the old portal and run the Blue Line trains at street level in a separated reservation down the center of Cambridge Street.

Use the overhead catenary option already existing on the Blue Line cars. No third rail needed.
Rather hard to envision how you terminate the line and make an easy connection to Red (the point of the extension). Street level at Charles Circle is kind of busy.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:07 PM   #3214
BussesAin'tTrains

Quote:
Originally Posted by whittle View Post
I think it's more due to a lack of available trains for the OL rather than any physical limitations.

RL is physically limited by the Harvard Curve.
BussesAin'tTrains is offline   Reply With Quote