archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:36 AM   #8701
Arch101

Re: Millennium Tower (Filene's) | 426 Washington Street | Downtown

I'm pissed the previous developer was forced to keep it at the cost of at least a million dollars. The floor heights seriously hamstrung the Elkus design team in that corner of the complex. So many complicated design issues would have been avoided had that design team been able to "clean sheet" that corner behind a faux-historic exterior. Millennium was lucky to be able to lose it.
Arch101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #8702
jl326

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBM View Post
I'm sorry but these gross generalizations are really misleading and snobbish frankly.

1.) Hawley St.--all 200 yards of it--has a preposterous amount of economic lifeblood pumping through it all day long. Delivery trucks for Roche Bros., Primark, Cafe Nero. Commuters entering & exiting 101 Arch & 33 Arch garages. It just doesn't happen to have any "authentically urban" gastropubs or anything else to be infatuated by. Guess what: you still need garages and loading docks to make a city hum.

2.) Ditto for Federal. Sure, it has no charming quaint cafes or anything like that... but why bother, when there are so many along Washington St. now? Federal St. is jam-packed with huge office tenants that patronize the restaurants, etc. along Washington St. and that complementary aspect is just fine.

3.) How is Washington St. underutilized? That must be news to the tens of thousands of pedestrians flowing along it all day long. Yes it has uneven patches, hit-or-miss now. Well, welcome to the Amazon era. What downtown mixed-use commercial district isn't pockmarked with glaring retail vacancies in the age of Amazon? And, of course, it's revival of the past five years, in aggregate, is major, with the restored theaters, new restaurants, etc.

4.) Arch & Devonshire has nothing going on: really? That must be news to the Merchant, which opened a few years back. That also must be news to Cafe de Boston, that big new gym at 1 Federal that spills over to Devonshire, Guru restaurant, Boston Wine Exchange, Potbelly, etc...

Again, of course things are uneven, with glaring vacancies here-and-there. But this whole "nothing going on" is just ridiculously prejudiced in favor of a very narrow notion of what constitutes vitality and vibrancy. Not everything can be the South End on the Beehive block of Tremont. And. that's. just. fine.
Excellent post. Thank you. You put into words exactly my thoughts, but in a manor more succinctly and free of frustration-driven curse words than I would have used.
jl326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:54 AM   #8703
Coyote137

Send a message via AIM to Coyote137

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
No, but look at the surrounding streets. Hawley has nothing going on. Arch and Devonshire have nothing going on besides Elephant and Castle. Federal has nothing going on. We need to fix the main attraction (Washington) before worrying about its spokes. Washington is underutilized as a destination street and the whole area suffers because of it.

Even just fixating on this, right across the street is a parking garage. This little block is meant to pass through on your way to Washington. It's an afterthought and has been for the last decade+.

This is why sidewalks were created. Walk on those. There was one single sidewalk the entire time this complex was under construction, and it still exists.
Apparently you didn't read what I wrote. When did I say I wasn't walking on the sidewalk? Also, do you know what it means to cross a street? Or are you always only in your car?

There are many other businesses on all of those streets you mention. There are also many human beings walking on those streets - I suggest visiting them to gather actual information.
Coyote137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:49 AM   #8704
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote137 View Post
Also, do you know what it means to cross a street? Or are you always only in your car?
Do I know what it means to cross a street? Yes, I look both ways, like I was taught and had hammered home consistently around the ages of 3-5. I haven't been hit by a car for 35 years now and counting! (at least that's what the sign says that I proudly update daily)

Just the other day I parked on the Cambridge side of the river, crossed the Mass Ave Bridge, and ended up all the way out at Ink Block before looping back. I had to cross lots of streets and still managed to update my sign at the end of the night. Victorious for another day!

In the case of Millennium Tower, it has probably been about a week and a half since I walked right by where you are talking about and didn't get hit by a car. Maybe things have gotten much more dangerous since then? Or maybe you were never taught to look both ways before crossing? I would highly recommend it. It also helps if you put the phone away. Quite the lost art in 2017.
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:56 AM   #8705
Coyote137

Quote:
Do I know what it means to cross a street? Yes, I look both ways, like I was taught and had hammered home consistently around the ages of 3-5. I haven't been hit by a car for 35 years now and counting! (at least that's what the sign says that I proudly update daily)

Just the other day I parked on the Cambridge side of the river, crossed the Mass Ave Bridge, and ended up all the way out at Ink Block before looping back. I had to cross lots of streets and still managed to update my sign at the end of the night. Victorious for another day!

In the case of Millennium Tower, it has probably been about a week and a half since I walked right by where you are talking about and didn't get hit by a car. Maybe things have gotten much more dangerous since then? Or maybe you were never taught to look both ways before crossing? I would highly recommend it. It also helps if you put the phone away. Quite the lost art in 2017.
When did I say I got hit by a car? How was that straw man worth multiple paragraphs?

Getting hit by a car is now the standard for whether a street is designed well...huh. I'll have to pass that up the chain.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:10 AM   #8706
DZH22

Quote:
When did I say I got hit by a car? How was that straw man worth multiple paragraphs?
You didn't, but you asked me if I "know what it means to cross a street." The answer is yes, you walk from one side to the other, and if you don't get hit by anything (such as a car), it's a successful crossing.

I feel like "straw man" is a term that is really overused and beaten into the ground by some of you. If you don't want a stupidly simple answer, don't ask stupid questions.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:19 AM   #8707
Coyote137

Quote:
You didn't, but you asked me if I "know what it means to cross a street." The answer is yes, you walk from one side to the other, and if you don't get hit by anything (such as a car), it's a successful crossing.

I feel like "straw man" is a term that is really overused and beaten into the ground by some of you. If you don't want a stupidly simple answer, don't ask stupid questions.
Well you sound really nice, and I imagine we'd have a great time getting a beer together. I'm sure I do ask stupid questions, but I'm also hopeful you'll find it in your heart to forgive my idiocy.

In any event, the intersection in question is less than ideal, could stand to be more pedestrian-friendly, and there should not be so many cars parked in front of MT.
Old 05-22-2017, 11:58 AM   #8708
kmp1284

I obviously haven't seen it in person so I can't say how bad it truly is but an abundance of cars out front could be construed as a good thing in that there are actual residents coming and going. We all feared that this was going to be a barely utilized parking lot for overseas wealth.
kmp1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:22 PM   #8709
JumboBuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp1284 View Post
We all feared that this was going to be a barely utilized parking lot for overseas wealth.
Speak for yourself
JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:30 PM   #8710
kmp1284

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboBuc View Post
Speak for yourself
Aww, does someone have a case of the Mondays? Take it from me, no one likes bitchy.
kmp1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 12:49 PM   #8711
jl326

Quote:

In any event, the intersection in question is less than ideal, could stand to be more pedestrian-friendly, and there should not be so many cars parked in front of MT.
It's one thing if the cars parked in front of MT have nothing to do with MT or its residents, but another thing altogether if they do. Because as far as I understand it, the area in front of Franklin St. that you speak of has been designed and is being used for MT. I believe the building is valet-only. Residents and guests can not self-park into the garage and must call down to have their cars brought out as well. I imagine there are also various vehicles bringing services, deliveries, etc. to the building that are being temporarily parked there as well.

The fact that there are "so many cars parked" there could just be indication that the space is indeed needed and is being used as intended.

That may irk you as a pedestrian, but with all due respect, you don't live there. Aesthetics of the vehicle pile up aside, the street is still public and nothing prevents anyone from using it on foot.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:02 PM   #8712
datadyne007

Quote:
I obviously haven't seen it in person so I can't say how bad it truly is but an abundance of cars out front could be construed as a good thing in that there are actual residents coming and going. We all feared that this was going to be a barely utilized parking lot for overseas wealth.
Who thought this and why would they think that? Most of us saw the ridiculous porte-cochere in the plans and feared this exact situation - filled with cars.
datadyne007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:19 PM   #8713
DZH22

Quote:
Well you sound really nice......
I actually can be, but if you're going to argue with me just understand that I am coming out guns a blazing. It isn't personal. I want to win (the argument) and will demoralize anybody who stands in my way, if that's what it takes.

Quote:
.....and I imagine we'd have a great time getting a beer together.
I pretty much don't drink anymore. Otherwise it probably could have been a good time. Unfortunately (or fortunately) 2007 DZH22 isn't walking through that door!
Old 05-22-2017, 01:54 PM   #8714
Coyote137

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl326 View Post
It's one thing if the cars parked in front of MT have nothing to do with MT or its residents, but another thing altogether if they do. Because as far as I understand it, the area in front of Franklin St. that you speak of has been designed and is being used for MT. I believe the building is valet-only. Residents and guests can not self-park into the garage and must call down to have their cars brought out as well. I imagine there are also various vehicles bringing services, deliveries, etc. to the building that are being temporarily parked there as well.

The fact that there are "so many cars parked" there could just be indication that the space is indeed needed and is being used as intended.

That may irk you as a pedestrian, but with all due respect, you don't live there. Aesthetics of the vehicle pile up aside, the street is still public and nothing prevents anyone from using it on foot.
Fine, but the residents and their valets need to learn what a stop sign is. That would certainly improve the situation.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:59 PM   #8715
jl326

Quote:
Fine, but the residents and their valets need to learn what a stop sign is. That would certainly improve the situation.
Oh for sure, and that should apply to everyone and everywhere, whether it be cars, mopeds, bicycles, etc.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:26 AM   #8716
Justin7

Quote:
...if you're going to argue with me just understand that I am coming out guns a blazing. It isn't personal. I want to win (the argument) and will demoralize anybody who stands in my way, if that's what it takes.
This is pretty obvious, but it's weird that you admit it so readily. I doubt you'll take my advice, but here it is anyway: Instead of focusing on "winning" the argument, perhaps attempt to understand where the other side is coming from. Open your mind. You may learn something.
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:22 AM   #8717
dwash59

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by datadyne007 View Post
Who thought this and why would they think that? Most of us saw the ridiculous porte-cochere in the plans and feared this exact situation - filled with cars.
The Globe certainly has continued to try to push the narrative that MT is just a building for foreigners (primarily chinese) to park their wealth and that no one lives there... despite all evidence to the contrary.
dwash59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:37 AM   #8718
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwash59 View Post
The Globe certainly has continued to try to push the narrative that MT is just a building for foreigners (primarily chinese) to park their wealth and that no one lives there... despite all evidence to the contrary.
Yes, that is a pretty shallow narrative, considering I watch the building in the evening as lights come on all over the place.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:40 AM   #8719
bigpicture7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwash59 View Post
I'm becoming more and more convinced that The Globe is becoming fixated on a very one-dimentional business model: tossing fresh meat to its most dedicated reader base, the angry old-guard who troll the comments sections and complain about anything new going on in this city.
bigpicture7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:49 AM   #8720
FenwayResident

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpicture7 View Post
I'm becoming more and more convinced that The Globe is becoming fixated on a very one-dimentional business model: tossing fresh meat to its most dedicated reader base, the angry old-guard who troll the comments sections and complain about anything new going on in this city.
Not only are they dedicated readers, they are probably the ones paying the bills as well.
FenwayResident is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burnham & root, demolition, downtown crossing, filenes, hynes, menino, new construction, tower, vornado, washington st.