archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:00 AM   #1321
Lurker

Re: Biking in Boston

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinserepeat View Post
Pedestrians are ALWAYS on the cycle path and rarely on the pedestrian path for some reason
Shade!

"And please, I wear my Harvard Yard shorts a seersucker with crimson whales when I ghost-ride the limozine with my mangy fat cats." -Kennedy

Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:31 PM   #1322
found5dollar

found5dollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #1323
Matthew

Thinking of signing up for an annual hubway pass this year. In the past I only went for 3-day passes. But that keychain dongle really makes it more convenient.

Anyone have a thought about annual passes?
Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #1324
Roxxma

Quote:
Originally Posted by found5dollar View Post
Now if we could only harvest and post Latrice Royale's laugh here..
Roxxma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:43 PM   #1325
cozzyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
Thinking of signing up for an annual hubway pass this year. In the past I only went for 3-day passes. But that keychain dongle really makes it more convenient.

I've never used Hubway before but I just got an annual pass because MIT makes it way too cheap ($25!!!) to pass up.
cozzyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #1326
datadyne007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post

I got the annual pass last year for $40 (half price) via LivingSocial. I absolutely loved it. The key dongle is super-convenient. Swipe it and go. It takes about 5 seconds to get or switch a bike (if you are making a pit stop on a long journey to avoid fees).
datadyne007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #1327
rinserepeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
Shade!
I only use that path between september and may - often after dark and early in the morning. are you telling me that during cold weather at night people walk on the cycle path because of shade?
rinserepeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #1328
found5dollar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxxma View Post
Now if we could only harvest and post Latrice Royale's laugh here..
Im lucky. Since I moved to Pittsburgh this summer, I now get to see Alaska Thunderfuck perform almost every week. Sharron Needles shows up to watch all the time too. These shows are crazy, in a tiny bar, and you never know who is going to show up....
found5dollar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 09:10 AM   #1329
cden4

Re the Southwest Corridor it's because the pedestrian path is directly adjacent to the street and therefore is much nosier/uglier than the bicycle path, which is in the middle of the linear park.
cden4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:11 PM   #1330
jass

Thyeve been installing for two weeks now. If they launch in mid April, it will be an entire month later than last year
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #1331
Matthew

To be fair, we didn't have any March snow last year. They ought to figure out year-round installation, but I wasn't expecting them to do it on short notice.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:58 PM   #1332
jass

This is a week old but I dont think it was posted

Quote:
The new measures stem from recommendations by a BU and City of Boston working group convened at the urging of President Brown and Mayor Menino after a series of bicycle collisions, including the death of a BU student in December. Working in coordination with the city’s Transportation Commissioner, Thomas J. Tinlin, and Director of Bicycle Programs, Nicole Freedman, BU helped propose safety measures that the City will implement as a pilot on the stretch of Commonwealth Avenue between Kenmore Square and Packard’s Corner (Boston’s first location for bike lanes), with the potential to expand to other areas of the city with high bicycle traffic and lanes. They include:

Posting of advisory/cautionary signs – new signs designating the stretch as a “high bicycle and pedestrian activity zone”; 25 mph speed limit signs; “yield to bicycles when turning right” signs; and “share the road” signs.

Installation of enhanced bike-lane pavement markings– each bike-lane intersection crossing to be painted using non-skid, high-visibility green paint and the width of bike-lane edge markings will increase from four to six inches. White Bike Sharrow pavement markings within the green paint area will be added at busy intersections. In areas that have long crossings multiple Sharrows will be installed.

Installation of highway reflectors –highway reflectors on the pavement along the outside edge of bike lanes between intersections, and more closely spaced in advance of each intersection crossing.
http://www.cityofboston.gov/news/default.aspx?id=6036

I especially like that theyre adding the reflectors to the lane, when it rains, the paint disappears among the reflection of lights in the pavement.

Anyone know what the current speed limit is? Im certain its not 25mph.

Last edited by jass; 03-27-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #1333
Matthew

30mph, routinely flaunted.

Not that you'd ever see the police ever dare to suggest that drivers follow the law. They reserve their finger-wagging for bicyclists.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #1334
rinserepeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cden4 View Post
Re the Southwest Corridor it's because the pedestrian path is directly adjacent to the street and therefore is much nosier/uglier than the bicycle path, which is in the middle of the linear park.
only in some sections - I get most annoyed at the parts where there are two equally good parallel paths and the pedestrians are all on the bike side - I wouldn't mind riding along side the street if that sidewalk was wide enough (although I often do to avoid pedestrians).

if there was one wide path with a two-way bike lane on one side... that would be better too.
rinserepeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:06 AM   #1335
Scipio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass View Post
Thyeve been installing for two weeks now. If they launch in mid April, it will be an entire month later than last year
I'm hoping for any day now, I saw bikes at a few of the downtown stations yesterday. I tried my brand new member key, but the bike rack gave me angry beeps and a flashing red light.
Scipio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:53 PM   #1336
jass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
I'm hoping for any day now, I saw bikes at a few of the downtown stations yesterday. I tried my brand new member key, but the bike rack gave me angry beeps and a flashing red light.
Their facebook page is packed with angry customers but it looks like they fired their own PR guy because theres been zero response.

Does this company not understand how public relations work?
Old 04-01-2013, 09:36 PM   #1337
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass View Post
Does this company not understand how public relations work?
Their contract allows them to be slackers and face no consequences. Since day 1 in every city Alta has run a system the same mistakes, technical failures, broken promises, and delays have been repeated.

FYI:
Quote:
Effective Tuesday, April 2, the Hubway bikeshare network will be open for the 2013 season! Nearly 75% of the system will be operational and full station deployment is expected by mid-April. There will be an official ‘Opening Day’ launch event on Monday, April 8. Stay tuned to our Twitter feed and Facebook page for event details. Use our FREE Spotcycle smartphone app for up to the minute information on station deployments and system status. Thanks for your support of Hubway!

"And please, I wear my Harvard Yard shorts a seersucker with crimson whales when I ghost-ride the limozine with my mangy fat cats." -Kennedy

Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:13 PM   #1338
jass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
Their contract allows them to be slackers and face no consequences. Since day 1 in every city Alta has run a system the same mistakes, technical failures, broken promises, and delays have been repeated.

FYI:
Day-before notice eh? Thats something special. Did they even send out an email?

Mind you, over at the citibike (NYC) page, theres been no official anything since December.

System is supposed to deploy in May, only a year late, and 1/3 the original size. Using the 5 station a day (weekdays only) Boston deployment model....well, maybe theyll be done by August.

Over in DC, DC has 60+ stations funded and ready to go.....except Alta cant deliver supply. DC wanted to deploy last fall, but is only getting 2 or so stations a week delivered. Nice way to treat your first big customer huh?
Old 04-03-2013, 03:03 PM   #1339
jass

At first glance, it appears that Hubway is expanding!

Quote:
There are many exciting changes for 2013! The current Hubway footprint is 112 stations and 1100 bicycles with several updates to the 2012 configuration:

Boston:

Additional docking points installed at 10 of the most highly utilized stations, including Congress/Sleeper, Post Office Square, Beacon/Mass Ave, and Charles Circle
Summer/Arch station has moved one block to the corner of Franklin/Arch and has added 12 docking points to accommodate demand
TD Garden/Legends Way station has moved to the sidewalk along Causeway St at Portal Park and added 7 docking points
New station at Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital’s Navy Yard facility

Brookline:

Washington Square will get a station in metered parking spots along the median of Beacon St (to be installed after the Boston Marathon)
New station in on-street parking spots along Harvard Ave in the Kennedy Crossing area of Brookline, providing a critical link between Coolidge Corner and Allston

Cambridge:

New station at the Radcliffe Quad, at Garden St/Shepard St
Planned station for the Porter Square T plaza

Somerville:

New station at Highland Ave/Somerville Hospital
New station at Teele Square/Elm St
New station adjacent to Tufts at Packard Ave/Powderhouse Blvd
Ball Square station moving down the block to Bristol Rd at the intersection of Broadway

Dont be misled.

They only installed 105 last year, so 112 will be what the launch will be, not the base to be added to.

Oh, and 112 is actually less than the 115 that was promised for last year.

That is, the new stations are just the ones we were told were going in August 2012....with three still missing.

Meanwhile, DC highlights why Hubways late launch isnt good

Quote:
The Washington region’s Capital Bikeshare program set a ridership record Saturday, and the District is gearing up to restart a major expansion that should greatly increase the numbers of stations and red bikes on city streets.

With throngs of tourists in town for the Easter holiday, there were a record 9,669 Capital Bikeshare rides Saturday. And for the first time since its inception three years ago, the majority of those rides were taken by day-trippers instead of annual members, said Chris Holben, director of the D.C. Department of Transportation bicycle program.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...755_story.html
Old 04-03-2013, 10:41 PM   #1340
BostonUrbEx

Hubway keeps advertising that they're hiring people to set up and maintain the system, so it seems their issues go beyond capital investment and into gaining and keeping new employees.
BostonUrbEx is offline   Reply With Quote