archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Boston Architecture & Urbanism

Boston Architecture & Urbanism Discussions and photos regarding Boston area architecture and urbanism.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:50 AM   #1
Lrfox

Shattuck Hospital to Relocate to BMC Campus

Full story in the globe: https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20....html#comments

Quick rundown:
  • The state plans to close the 64-year-old Lemuel Shattuck Hospital in Jamaica Plain and move its inpatient services across town to the Boston Medical Center campus.
  • State officials said that modernizing the hospital or building a new facility at the existing site would cost $400 million to $500 million. Buying and renovating a building owned by Boston Medical Center, the Newton Pavilion, will cost about half that, they said.
  • The state will begin a planning process to develop recommendations for future use of the 13-acre Shattuck Campus. State law requires it to serve a public health purpose.

Here's a more detailed outline on the state's website: http://www.mass.gov/DPH/shattuckrelocation

13 acres within 1/2 mile of an MBTA stop is a pretty significant development opportunity. The public health requirement seems like it might be restrictive, but I'd love to get a look at the language in the law to see how flexible it might be. The potential for this spot is intriguing.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:03 AM   #2
JumboBuc

Re: Shattuck Hospital to Relocate to BMC Campus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrfox View Post
Full story in the globe: https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20....html#comments

Quick rundown:
  • The state plans to close the 64-year-old Lemuel Shattuck Hospital in Jamaica Plain and move its inpatient services across town to the Boston Medical Center campus.
  • State officials said that modernizing the hospital or building a new facility at the existing site would cost $400 million to $500 million. Buying and renovating a building owned by Boston Medical Center, the Newton Pavilion, will cost about half that, they said.
  • The state will begin a planning process to develop recommendations for future use of the 13-acre Shattuck Campus. State law requires it to serve a public health purpose.

Here's a more detailed outline on the state's website: http://www.mass.gov/DPH/shattuckrelocation

13 acres within 1/2 mile of an MBTA stop is a pretty significant development opportunity. The public health requirement seems like it might be restrictive, but I'd love to get a look at the language in the law to see how flexible it might be. The potential for this spot is intriguing.
The Shattuck Campus could be a good alternative to Long Island, and could also take on some of the facilities currently located on the "Methadone Mile."

Either way, the City and Commonwealth are in dire need of more psychiatric, homelessness, and addition treatment facilities. I'm as pro-development as anyone on this forum, but the Shattuck Campus should absolutely stay committed to its public health mission. Start mixing private development in their and you'll only be introducing NIMBYs.
JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:17 AM   #3
Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboBuc View Post
The Shattuck Campus could be a good alternative to Long Island, and could also take on some of the facilities currently located on the "Methadone Mile."

Either way, the City and Commonwealth are in dire need of more psychiatric, homelessness, and addition treatment facilities. I'm as pro-development as anyone on this forum, but the Shattuck Campus should absolutely stay committed to its public health mission. Start mixing private development in their and you'll only be introducing NIMBYs.
Something like this you have to use for housing IMHO. 13 acres in the middle of the city isn't the best use for a homeless or methadone facility.

Think of it this way. Long Island will never be used for residential housing, but the treatment facilities already exist. This site can (with a change in state law - get on that Mahhhty) be used for housing, so why would you have a treatment facility take it over instead?
Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:25 AM   #4
JumboBuc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
This site can (with a change in state law - get on that Mahhhty) be used for housing, so why would you have a treatment facility take it over instead?
You realize this would never--and I mean never--fly politically. It's a total non-starter. Period.

And of all people in public service today, Martin Walsh is the very last one who would expend political capital pushing for a law that strips a commitment to public health (i.e., addiction and psychiatric treatment) from a Commonwealth-owned property. Do you know anything about this guy?
JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:27 AM   #5
Reznor

How about some age restricted condos/townhouses or long term care facilities? Both of which are in demand as population ages in US.

It would quiet the NIMBYs a bit and still stay close to mission of land/institution.
Reznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 09:29 AM   #6
Lrfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumboBuc View Post

I agree 100% "Methadone Mile" and Long Island were two of the first thoughts that came to my mind. In fact, there may be no better site to construct these types of facilities since there's precedent (you already have psychiatric and corrections facilities on site) and there aren't any immediate residential neighbors.

I could see this having a trickle-down effect. In addition to moving more psychiatric, homelessness services, and other treatment facilities, you could potentially incorporate administrative offices for DMH (and/or DPH) into the redeveloped Shattuck site (still public health related). If you moved the DMH functions out of the Lindeman (Administration, shelters, treatment clinics crisis services) to the Shattuck site, you could free up that chunk of the State Services Center for redevelopment which would be perfect for mixed-use development.
Old 02-27-2018, 09:34 AM   #7
Lrfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznor View Post
How about some age restricted condos/townhouses or long term care facilities? Both of which are in demand as population ages in US.

It would quiet the NIMBYs a bit and still stay close to mission of land/institution.
Long-term care facilities might fly, though the focus is more on community-based placements. EOHHS is really pushing "community-based recovery and treatment." A big piece of that is housing (in many cases, in conjunction with HUD) for people with mental illness and substance misuse conditions. You could definitely see some residential unites (fairly standard apartments) for individuals and families with co-occurring conditions. I'd be surprised if you didn't, to be honest.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:56 PM   #8
Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrfox View Post
Long-term care facilities might fly, though the focus is more on community-based placements. EOHHS is really pushing "community-based recovery and treatment." A big piece of that is housing (in many cases, in conjunction with HUD) for people with mental illness and substance misuse conditions. You could definitely see some residential unites (fairly standard apartments) for individuals and families with co-occurring conditions. I'd be surprised if you didn't, to be honest.
Which would be a reasonable use of the land. Although again I'm curious if all 13 acres are needed.
Rover is offline   Reply With Quote