archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 01-31-2018, 08:12 PM   #3701
mass88

Re: Logan Flight Additions

Boston to Seattle is going to have a ton of capacity this summer and fall. Delta is upping it to 3 times daily for June - October. JetBlue goes up to 3 daily from April through October and Alaska will be at 3 daily for the Summer and early Fall.
mass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 08:23 PM   #3702
tysmith95

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass88 View Post
Boston to Seattle is going to have a ton of capacity this summer and fall. Delta is upping it to 3 times daily for June - October. JetBlue goes up to 3 daily from April through October and Alaska will be at 3 daily for the Summer and early Fall.
Preparing for Amazon
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:27 PM   #3703
Jouhou

I'm surprised when info discussed on airliners.net doesn't make it over here, so for those who don't go there, we may be getting a route to chengdu from Sichuan soon.

So, right now possible new routes based on what massport wants: ICN, DEL, MXP

Possible new routes based on airlines expressing interest/intent or studying feasibility: SAL, CTU, YYC, TPE
Jouhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:20 AM   #3704
mass88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jouhou View Post
I'm surprised when info discussed on airliners.net doesn't make it over here, so for those who don't go there, we may be getting a route to chengdu from Sichuan soon.

Possible new routes based on airlines expressing interest/intent or studying feasibility: SAL, CTU, YYC, TPE
Apart from Korean to Seoul, what else could Boston possibly support to Asia? Daily to Dubai, daily to Doha, daily to Tokyo, daily to Beijing, 3-4 weekly to Shanghai, daily to Hong Kong. Adding flights to Deli, Seoul, and Chendgu will only steal traffic from the existing service, especially a non-stop flight to India.
mass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 02:09 AM   #3705
Jouhou

Quote:
Apart from Korean to Seoul, what else could Boston possibly support to Asia? Daily to Dubai, daily to Doha, daily to Tokyo, daily to Beijing, 3-4 weekly to Shanghai, daily to Hong Kong. Adding flights to Deli, Seoul, and Chendgu will only steal traffic from the existing service, especially a non-stop flight to India.
Exactly what existing service though? United to EWR? Good riddance. I hate the hub and spoke model, especially where US airlines don't tend to actually invest in their hubs.
Old 02-10-2018, 07:02 AM   #3706
kmp1284

Quote:
Exactly what existing service though? United to EWR? Good riddance. I hate the hub and spoke model, especially where US airlines don't tend to actually invest in their hubs.
He outlined the existing service. If you don't like hub and spoke, buy a Gulfstream.
kmp1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:17 AM   #3707
adamh8297

Quote:

The SAL route could be announced any time now since the CEO of Avianca said its going to be launched in their inflight magazine.

Sichuan Airlines has obtained rights to serve Boston-Chengdu (CTU) 3x weekly. The funny thing about this one is that there were hints of this online since December and no one saw it.

Possible May 2018 start date but translation may be off here though they loaded Chengdu-Zurich a couple of weeks ago with a late March start.
http://www.gochengdu.cn/news/Highlig...tes-a6577.html

Quote:
I don't think this CTU flights steals it just stimulates what you could call "Chinese government subsidized tourism to Boston"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp1284 View Post
He outlined the existing service. If you don't like hub and spoke, buy a Gulfstream.
True - almost all of these new international flights (except for seasonal weeklies like Barbados, Liberia-CR) are to hubs. CTU is a hub for Sichuan and its subsidiary Chengdu Airlines.
adamh8297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 04:20 PM   #3708
tysmith95

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamh8297 View Post
True - almost all of these new international flights (except for seasonal weeklies like Barbados, Liberia-CR) are to hubs. CTU is a hub for Sichuan and its subsidiary Chengdu Airlines.
Most long international flights would be to hubs. Hubs are strategically put where there is lots of demand for travel. I would say that Boston has to be one of the larger (by demand) markets in the world without a major hub presence (JetBlue isn't really a hub because it doesn't fly many connections at all). There is demand for an international hub here, but the US airlines have left us out to dry. Of course international carriers have definitively picked up the load in recent years.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:54 PM   #3709
Jouhou

Boston is a major global city, the international growth we are experiencing right now is just us playing catch up after the US major airlines have ignored us for so long.

And my comments on hub and spoke is meant to point out the international growth has been hurting the us3 more than anything else. And the decline in BOS-EWR traffic has been noticeable.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:03 PM   #3710
tysmith95

I would have thought that BOS to LHR would be hurt by the new additions. Although we haven't seen too much of a downturn.

I do worry about how much middle east service BOS will be able to sustain if we get some Indian routes. Don't know the exact numbers but if I had to guess more then half of Doha, or even Dubai passengers are connecting to places like India.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:21 PM   #3711
Jouhou

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
I would have thought that BOS to LHR would be hurt by the new additions. Although we haven't seen too much of a downturn.

I do worry about how much middle east service BOS will be able to sustain if we get some Indian routes. Don't know the exact numbers but if I had to guess more then half of Doha, or even Dubai passengers are connecting to places like India.
If LHR starts to hurt, I'd blame all the new london area flights. I think some of the London demand was previously getting diverted through us3 hubs though.

And India is and will continue to be a rapidly expanding market. It's probably a large factor in what enabled the me3 to grow as fast as they did. A direct flight to a city in India would be a small drop in the bucket.

Same with china. Both Indian and Chinese airports make for terrible connections btw so any new routes would be aimed at O&D and domestic traffic within china/india.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:28 PM   #3712
tysmith95

I don't think London demand ever went through the US airline hubs to a major extent. Makes no sense to go backwards. I believe years ago that Virgin Atlantic, BA, AA, and Delta all flew from Boston to London. Historically it has always been the dominant international route in Boston.

I believe that AA has dropped London service, but Norwegian has brought a new dynamic to that market.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:28 PM   #3713
adamh8297

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
There's great data on Boston-Heathrow Traffic here along with anything else UK (Manchester-Boston, Providence-Belfast etc):

https://www.caa.co.uk/Data-and-analy...-airport-data/

You want to take a look at Table 12 for any month.
It goes by month and will give YOY change for the month for airport-airport (examples: Boston-Gatwick, Newark-Heathrow, Oakland-Gatwick etc.)

Boston-London (Heathrow and Gatwick) its easy to get an idea how an airline is doing pax wise since there's only one airline on each route.

For December 2017 vs December 2016

Boston-Heathrow = 61872 vs 56488 about 10% increase
Boston-Gatwick = 13620 vs 10709 about 27% increase
Old 02-12-2018, 09:27 AM   #3714
adamh8297

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamh8297 View Post
There's great data on Boston-Heathrow Traffic here along with anything else UK (Manchester-Boston, Providence-Belfast etc):

https://www.caa.co.uk/Data-and-analy...-airport-data/

You want to take a look at Table 12 for any month.
It goes by month and will give YOY change for the month for airport-airport (examples: Boston-Gatwick, Newark-Heathrow, Oakland-Gatwick etc.)

Boston-London (Heathrow and Gatwick) its easy to get an idea how an airline is doing pax wise since there's only one airline on each route.

For December 2017 vs December 2016

Boston-Heathrow = 61872 vs 56488 about 10% increase
Boston-Gatwick = 13620 vs 10709 about 27% increase
Wait i was wrong on this one - you can only tell how Norwegian is doing on Gatwick routes since Virgin/Delta are on Heathrow.
Old 03-08-2018, 08:41 PM   #3715
lexicon506

Sichuan Airlines planning to launch nonstop Boston-Chengdu in May. If anyone says they saw this one coming, they're lying.

http://atwonline.com/airports-routes...inental-routes
lexicon506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 02:50 PM   #3716
Lrfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexicon506 View Post
Sichuan Airlines planning to launch nonstop Boston-Chengdu in May. If anyone says they saw this one coming, they're lying.

http://atwonline.com/airports-routes...inental-routes
Wow. Boston before any New York airports. Thatís pretty significant.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:32 PM   #3717
Smartiro

We're only missing India and South Korea for direct flights to world's 10 largest economies after US.
Smartiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 01:45 PM   #3718
adamh8297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrfox View Post
Wow. Boston before any New York airports. Thatís pretty significant.
China has "one route one airline" rule for its carriers and Hainan flies Chengdu-JFK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartiro View Post
We're only missing India and South Korea for direct flights to world's 10 largest economies after US.
It would be just India unless your list counts EU as one economy. I guess Italy (surprising to me!) and Canada routinely keep South Korea out of top 10.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...y_GDP_(nominal)

To get top 20 - We would need Australia, Indonesia, Russia, and Saudi Arabia.

Distance alone makes the first two almost impossible unless there's a major techonological advance.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:49 AM   #3719

Quote:
Nonetheless, Logan, the nationís 17th largest airport by passenger traffic, is No. 7 in over all revenue because of a preponderance of business fliers, who tend to pay more because they book trips at the last minute.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/delta-j...are-1510883042

A big reason for many of the new destinations.
12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:45 PM   #3720
BosDevelop

Delta is adding (or bringing back because I think I flew this route with Delta years ago) a non-stop from Logan to Las Vegas. The times look pretty good to me at least. Departing BOS at 8:15am and the return leaves Vegas at 11:15am. Maybe that will result in JetBlue lowering the price of their mid-morning LAS-BOS flight which can often be $500+. I won't do the red-eye from Vegas unless I have no choice.
BosDevelop is offline   Reply With Quote