archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:12 PM   #741
Arlington

Re: Comments due Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibria View Post
You can advocate for it, but they've been pretty clear that the Rail Plan doesn't speak to MBTA projects, which West Station is...
So the silly thing is that the plans Tier 1 of projects include:
- South Station Expansion
- South Station Tower 1 upgrades
- South Coast Rail

By what mental process are these ruled into top tier of the the plan (as, what, "not so MBTA as they appear?") But they're gonna rule out West Station as "too MBTA" for the state plan?
Old 02-09-2018, 08:12 AM   #742
Equilibria

Re: Comments due Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington View Post
So the silly thing is that the plans Tier 1 of projects include:
- South Station Expansion
- South Station Tower 1 upgrades
- South Coast Rail

By what mental process are these ruled into top tier of the the plan (as, what, "not so MBTA as they appear?") But they're gonna rule out West Station as "too MBTA" for the state plan?
SSX and Tower 1 are projects to be used by Amtrak. SCR is primarily a freight rail project at the moment.

It's not that I don't see your point, I'm just reporting what the response is likely to be.
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:32 AM   #743
fattony

Re: I-90 Interchange Improvement Project & West Station | Allston

This article claims BU now wants to allow buses on Malvern. Thatís huge in my opinion.
fattony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:20 PM   #744
ErnieAdams

Worth mentioning that the parking lot MassDOT would have to take in order to extend Malvern north, at 76 Ashford Street, is the ONLY parcel backing up to the Pike/tracks/river between Malvern and Bay State Road that BU doesn't own. So in addition to not committing to any additional dollar amount here, they've only committed to give away property that doesn't belong to them. Magnanimous as ever (though I agree this is progress at least in word).
ErnieAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:33 PM   #745
Equilibria

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattony View Post
This article claims BU now wants to allow buses on Malvern. Thatís huge in my opinion.
Excellent news.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:13 PM   #746
theSil

So, yes, BU owns every parcel between Malvern and Babcock minus the parking lot at 76 Ashford, but Babcock literally runs up to the tracks! I don't see why the City can't tell BU to quiet down and accept busses there.

I can see the argument against putting more traffic on a street as pedestrian heavy as Harry Agganis way, but Babcock should be fair game. BU kids can (usually) cross Comm Ave, they can handle a Malvern or Babcock street with busses.

Edit: Even if the city is trying to appease BU to get money to fund West Station, they must make sure its an amount that's worth choosing Malvern over Babcock. Babcock is much more direct route for busses and shuttles going to LMA. As the intersection is designed now, vehicles exiting Malvern onto Comm Ave must take a right onto Comm Ave west bound.

Last edited by theSil; 02-10-2018 at 09:25 PM.
theSil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:32 PM   #747
tysmith95

I can understand BU not wanting regular traffic, as it would be a cut-through to the pike. But with busses if you have one every 5 mins it won't be disruptive at all.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:54 AM   #748
Equilibria

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSil View Post
So, yes, BU owns every parcel between Malvern and Babcock minus the parking lot at 76 Ashford, but Babcock literally runs up to the tracks! I don't see why the City can't tell BU to quiet down and accept busses there.

I can see the argument against putting more traffic on a street as pedestrian heavy as Harry Agganis way, but Babcock should be fair game. BU kids can (usually) cross Comm Ave, they can handle a Malvern or Babcock street with busses.

Edit: Even if the city is trying to appease BU to get money to fund West Station, they must make sure its an amount that's worth choosing Malvern over Babcock. Babcock is much more direct route for busses and shuttles going to LMA. As the intersection is designed now, vehicles exiting Malvern onto Comm Ave must take a right onto Comm Ave west bound.
Malvern is theoretically better for accessing Comm Ave, though. Straight shot across Packard's Corner.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:20 AM   #749
Arlington

The City (or maybe the State) has already signed the funding deal that gave BU a veto on cross-traffic in exchange for BU's funding contribution.

It was a bad deal, but if BU has come to its senses (realizing that university students might want to ride in a shared vehicle, unlike, say car-oriented administrators) and is going to designate a place for buses to run, then that's a better thing, even if, overall, the deal is still a bad thing.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:01 AM   #750
Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibria View Post
Malvern is theoretically better for accessing Comm Ave, though. Straight shot across Packard's Corner.
There's no left turn at Malvern onto Brighton Ave/Comm ave though, so I don't see how this would work unless there's a major revamp of the intersection as well or the busses go down Brighton to Harvard Ave and over to Comm ave that way.

Malvern is better than using Babcock but I still wonder if they have enough room for the buses to drop from a raised station over the tracks and then ramp down to Malvern where it intersects with Ashford St. That's going to be a luge track come winter time.
Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 12:29 PM   #751
tangent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
There's no left turn at Malvern onto Brighton Ave/Comm ave though, so I don't see how this would work unless there's a major revamp of the intersection as well or the busses go down Brighton to Harvard Ave and over to Comm ave that way.

Malvern is better than using Babcock but I still wonder if they have enough room for the buses to drop from a raised station over the tracks and then ramp down to Malvern where it intersects with Ashford St. That's going to be a luge track come winter time.
Looks like Ashford is a bit uphill so perhaps the grade change is manageable. Maybe it could be worked out to be less than 10%.
tangent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:18 PM   #752
Justin7

Sorry, playing catch-up here. Is this the most recent plan?

If BU has agreed to allow buses on Malvern does that mean there will actually be a vehicular bridge/ramp or only that it is now somewhat of a possibility? Would the building between Ashford and the tracks be torn down or would they just squeeze around it? Very possibly that I've completely misunderstood something.
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:57 PM   #753
fattony

Rereading the article I linked above:

Quote:
BU is also backing a direct connection between West Station and Commonwealth Avenue, along Malvern Street, that would only be open to buses and shuttles that can also provide transit service to the Longwood Medical Area. BU was once opposed to this kind of bus connection, but has more recently come around. The stateís plans, however, do not include the bus connection.
It doesn't actually say buses will run thru from Lower Allston. It says that buses will access West Station from Comm Ave via Malvern. Could it be a cul-de-sac bus stop with only pedestrian stairs and/or elevator up to the West Station level? That would be better than nothing, but still a colossal missed opportunity for improving bus service from Cambridge to points south.
fattony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 03:24 PM   #754
dwash59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
If BU has agreed to allow buses on Malvern does that mean there will actually be a vehicular bridge/ramp or only that it is now somewhat of a possibility? Would the building between Ashford and the tracks be torn down or would they just squeeze around it? Very possibly that I've completely misunderstood something.
See pages 63-72 of this presentation for what I believe were the most recent proposals related to North-South transit connections.
dwash59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:22 PM   #755
vanshnookenraggen

IDK if this has been brought up but I was just looking in detail at the proposed roads and they all strike me as overkill. It looks like the Seaport with even the side "streets" having 4 or 5 lanes with turning lanes. This seems to be what happens when you let highway engineers design cities. We still haven't learned.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:46 PM   #756
tysmith95

^To be fair that's what NYC is.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:33 PM   #757
Brookline-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanshnookenraggen View Post
IDK if this has been brought up but I was just looking in detail at the proposed roads and they all strike me as overkill. It looks like the Seaport with even the side "streets" having 4 or 5 lanes with turning lanes. This seems to be what happens when you let highway engineers design cities. We still haven't learned.
I've been to a few of the community meetings, and the traffic engineers insist that this is needed for all the traffic going on and off the Pike at rush hour. But yes, this is going to be a new neighborhood criss-crossed by roads as large as Melnea Cass or Seaport Boulevards.
Brookline-ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:46 PM   #758
vanshnookenraggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
^To be fair that's what NYC is.
The avenues for sure but the side streets, the streets most people live on, are not as large. And it doesn't make it any less walkable.