archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Outside Of Boston Metro > Greater New England

Greater New England All things architectural or urban in Greater New England, beyond the boundaries of Boston Metro.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:51 PM   #1
markhb

The Ridge (former Dirigo Plaza), Westbrook, ME

Since they're actually doing work on the old Blue Rock quarry site on Main St. in Westbrook (the old loading equipment by the RR tracks has been removed, and earth movers are on site), I'm going to start this thread and hope it doesn't get jinxed. This is the Market Basket development across Main St. from Kohl's and Rowe Ford.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:17 AM   #2
markhb

Re: The Ridge (former Dirigo Plaza), Westbrook, ME

Pivot! Now they're planning to ask to turn this into a mixed-use development with 750 apartments. They have a site for the new project here but there's nothing there yet but a way to ask for info. They also want to include a movie theater and concert venue in the retail space (which is being cut back by 50,000 sq. ft.) I wonder if they had trouble filling all the original space, which would have been much cheaper to build.
Old 05-10-2018, 07:30 AM   #3
Cosakita18

Quote:
Originally Posted by markhb View Post
Pivot! Now they're planning to ask to turn this into a mixed-use development with 750 apartments. They have a site for the new project here but there's nothing there yet but a way to ask for info. They also want to include a movie theater and concert venue in the retail space (which is being cut back by 50,000 sq. ft.) I wonder if they had trouble filling all the original space, which would have been much cheaper to build.
HUGE design change! and a very welcome one. I even like the fake lighthouse As far as I know Market Basket has already started construction, so this new plan must be for a later phase of the project.

Perfect location for this type of development too. Easy highway access, right between two population centers but not close to any residential areas to create NIMBY backlash. I've seen developments similar to this in Burlington (VT) and they are a far more enjoyable experience than traditional suburban retail. The Portland area has needed more development like this for a long time.

Last edited by Cosakita18; 05-10-2018 at 07:41 AM.
Cosakita18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 07:17 AM   #4
mainejeff

I agree that this is a perfect location for a development like this. These developments are already prevalent in other states....but with Maine being Maine. I think that something like this could work at the site of the Bangor Mall as well...maybe not on such a large scale but with the housing/retail/dining/services mix.
mainejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 08:28 AM   #5
markhb

Honestly, though, I was far more interested in the Margarita's and Firehouse Subs (and Chick-Fil-A) that were shown on the earlier marketing material than I am in another Elevation Burger and the brewpub thing.