archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 01-03-2018, 11:38 AM   #3441
DZH22

Re: Winthrop Square Garage Being Demolished

OH MY GOD YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't build it. I'd rather have a park, and you all know how height obsessed I am. But more than anything I am aesthetic obsessed. This looks like garbage and can't be allowed to lord over downtown Boston.
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:43 AM   #3442
datadyne007

What the heck? This is bait & switch.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:15 PM   #3443
TheRifleman

What is there 5 above parking garages in the core of the city at this point? This is not open space so the developers need the height to recoup profits. That's economics.

Focus on smart developments but overall you have to give up height concerning above parking garages that generate money.

These are not open space and never will be.

5 more buildings in the city of Boston is not going to create a mass blanket shadow over the entire city.
TheRifleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:15 PM   #3444
Equilibria

Let's read the whole thing first

http://www.bostonplans.org/documents...l-1-01-02-2018

Renders are scattered throughout, but models are on 7-4. FWIW, I think it's fine, but it's very very different from what the City signed off on when selecting them. Also, can MP please cut it out with the bar at the top? It looks dumb on MT and it will look dumber with two of them.
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:43 PM   #3445
vanshnookenraggen

Millenium does great work and it looks like the programming for the tower is well thought out. The design is unfortunate but it's also an odd lot. The city will be better with this built but I'm sure all most of you care about is having a 1000' tower so I'll just leave you to your squawking.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:48 PM   #3446
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanshnookenraggen View Post
The city will be better with this built but I'm sure all most of you care about is having a 1000' tower so I'll just leave you to your squawking.
Hey Mr. New York City, don't take shots at the rest of us when you won't be the one stuck looking at this every day.

Not to mention, by the diagram on page 45 this is clearly under 700'. This is now the front-runner to be the most disappointing development in the history* of Boston.

*(since I was born in 1982)
Old 01-03-2018, 12:48 PM   #3447
cburns

Inspecting the models, this thing is a monster is size and appearance; I'm especially stunned at how this configuration absolutely dwarfs 100 Federal on pages 326 and 327.
cburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:51 PM   #3448
Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZH22 View Post
Hey Mr. New York City, don't take shots at the rest of us when you won't be the one stuck looking at this every day.

Not to mention, by the diagram on page 45 this is clearly under 700'. This is now the front-runner to be the most disappointing development in the history* of Boston.

*(since I was born in 1982)
Says its 691' including mechanicals to "average grade". I'm not sure what "average grade" means - perhaps one side of the project is on higher ground than the other so they average the two out?
Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:02 PM   #3449
iamdjmichael

This design is.....yikes.
iamdjmichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:04 PM   #3450
fattony

woof.
fattony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:12 PM   #3451
KentXie

Absolutely hideous. Holy fuck it's 45 Stuart Street on steroids. How does Boston keep getting these awful awful designs? It literally looks like the cheapest furniture you can buy at IKEA and then assembled incorrectly. And no the shape of the plot is no excuse. You can create a podium at the lower level using the awkward shape but then above the podium, you can build the tower to whatever shape you want.

Handel Architects did so well with MP. What happened?
KentXie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:26 PM   #3452
statler
Administrator

That is a disappointment.
statler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:34 PM   #3453
stick n move

Oh no. This thing could literally ruin Bostonís skyline forever. Thatís the importance of this parcel. The location and height could either make our skyline look amazing or like trash for the rest of time.

That being said how many times did I tell you guys we hadnít seen the final version yet and nobody even batted an eye. Surpriseeee. Didnít know it would be that bad though yikes. Yes we know height isnít everything but specifically placed tall buildings define a cityís look, character, and style. This screams we suck at architecture and weíre terrified of being iconic when it comes to high rises. Slow clap**

Why canít we just go back to the first Accordia plan. That was iconic. This is ass garbage.
stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:36 PM   #3454
cjbski

This is hideous. Can the city push back on the facade?!
cjbski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 01:48 PM   #3455
DZH22

Please email Casey Hines at City Hall and let her know that this is NOT OK.

casey.a.hines@boston.gov

Here's mine:
Hi Casey,
Now that the newest iteration is out for the Winthrop Square Tower, I am writing to say that I take back the earlier support I showed for this tower. The new design is a complete bait and switch, with no resemblance to the original proposal. It is both tacky and ill-proportioned. As my personal concerns generally regard the aesthetics of Boston, I will be disgusted if this gets built in its newest form.

Here is a link to the discussion on archboston.com. It is unfavorable, to say the least, and up until now this was a crowd of the project's biggest supporters: http://www.archboston.org/community/...157#post310157

Boston deserves better than this permanent blight. One of the original criteria for this tower was iconic architecture. It is now anything but iconic. If City Hall allows this to be built it would be embarrassing, and a signal to me that is is time to find a new city that takes pride in its appearance.

I have to say that between this and the proposed reconstructive abomination at One Post Office Square, this might be the darkest day in Boston's architectural history since the 1960's urban renewal travesties. I have never been more disappointed in a developer's plan for Boston. Please send this one back to the drawing board. There are no redeeming qualities here.

Thanks,
David

EDIT: Just caught the "is is". Too bad. I thought it was a decent enough message, but typos don't help.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:59 PM   #3456
DZH22

I followed up with a second message to Casey, since near the back of the pdf I saw that I am cited as having written a letter of support. This is true, I wrote the letter supporting the original proposal. I feel dirty having my name attached to the current one.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:21 PM   #3457
Mongo

I don't hate it, I think they were trying to incorporate some of the color of the Accordia proposal so that it's not just another blue box skyscraper. They want to use the copper tones to stand out.

The massing has issues and I hope they refine that, but Iím happy itís not just blue glass.
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:49 PM   #3458
type001

It doesn't even look like a building nor any sort of containment of living organisms. Actually, this doesn't look like it belongs in our solar system. Like, what the hell is that thing?

But hey, less additional shadows that no one would have noticed in the first place had they not been informed.
type001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:17 PM   #3459
KentXie

In case you're wondering what the height is:

"The Projectís zoning height of approximately 664 feet (710í AMSL) is consistent with the operating guidelines provided by Massport and the technical review provided by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA), which has set various points of the Project site at 701-720 feet AMSL. The Projectís height fits within this upper limit to avoid any operational changes in departures or arrivals at Logan International Airport. The FAA is currently conducting its public review period for this Aeronautical Study (see Attachment A). The zoning height will be used throughout the remainder of the document to describe the height, except as noted."

So this will be shorter than MT.
KentXie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 04:19 PM   #3460
datadyne007

Good god... what has Handel done?!