archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 12-27-2017, 11:29 AM   #121
statler
Administrator

Re: Omni Hotel @ BCEC | Summer St | Seaport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czervik.Construction View Post
This Omni is a biz hotel, it is not there to win design awards.
By this logic the only interesting architecture we would see built would be architecture firms offices.
statler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:18 PM   #122
stick n move

Quote:
Originally Posted by FitchburgLine View Post
It's a bland building that will activate 2 streetwalls, include no onsite parking (the awful garage can be redeveloped in 20 years), and increase the city's supply of hotel rooms by 5%. I'll take it.
stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 01:43 PM   #123
stick n move

Who remembers what was supposed to go here, over the pike, and in place of waterside place? It was a long time ago now but they had plans for a huge mall here with glass towers all around it. I think it got scrapped around the recession but there were plans here before almost any of these other parcels built or proposed. I think it may still have been called waterside place and it was massive and would have covered the whole area and put street walls on all 4 roads. Ill try to find the renders itís been a long time though and I believe I had renders on my old computer back when I used to save them because they werenít so easy to find as today.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:41 PM   #124
BeeLine

Stick, this may be what you are thinking of (Waterside Place).

WP-model1

WP-rend2

WP-rend6

WP-rend5

WP-rend7

WP-rend8

WP-rend9

WP-rend10

WP-rend11

Last edited by BeeLine; 12-27-2017 at 02:56 PM.
BeeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:04 PM   #125
KentXie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arborway View Post
I understand what you're saying, but when every middling design can be dismissed with some variant on "it's only an infill building", then it concedes that is the best Boston can hope for.

Compelling design doesn't demand attention-seeking starchitect buildings. It can be something as modest as this.
+1. I don't know why some of y'all are so quick to provide architects excuses instead of holding them to some standards.
KentXie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:21 PM   #126
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeLine View Post
Stick, this may be what you are thinking of (Waterside Place).
Outside of the nifty hotel tower I'd say we really dodged a bullet here.
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:36 PM   #127
CSTH

Youíd rather have the garage and the hail road?
CSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 03:44 PM   #128
DZH22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSTH View Post
Youíd rather have the garage and the hail road?
I'd rather not have a gigantic shopping mall. The other stuff is more fixable.
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:01 PM   #129
CSTH

Got it. My view is tht if itís like the pru - internal pedestrian streets embedded in an active block..then thatís good.If itís like south shore plaza then thatís bad.

Iíll agree that the d street rendering of waterside place was pretty bad.

I also really donít like whatís emerging between the bcec and congresss st. And actually we pretty nearly have the original waterside place concept anyway, but without the haul road air rights...
CSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:35 AM   #130
cadetcarl

I think the renderings actually do a decent job of bandaging over the real issue, which is the plan. It's a mall and a super-megablock rivaling the convention center, and that's just not great urbanism. Sure there are a few that remain successful but even in the best case, when that thing shut down at night anyone trying to move through the area would be forced to go around it. Think of the human-scale city blocks that could have gone in instead.

What we're getting isn't that much better tbh
cadetcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:08 PM   #131
JohnAKeith

I like the first rendering the best because I can look at it and see exactly where and when my dreams for a mixed-use, 30% residential neighborhood died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick n move View Post
According to Curbed apparently this is the final design vs the other few iterations that had been floating around. I think its a pretty solid design, great street level, ties into surrounding neighborhood well and brings a substantial amount of rooms directly across the BCEC.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:03 PM   #132
Czervik.Construction

I guess I pose the question back to you all - who should approve said designs for architectural audacity? What should those standards be? And how much of that do we need vs, infill.

I work in the middle of Midtown Manhattan and when you are 20, 30, 40+ floors up, you see the reality of what makes up the skyline. I can see the BofA tower to my south and 30 Rock to my north, but all around me (my building included) is a lot of "meh", but it all adds to the sauce.

The waterfront is loaded with "meh" but how much of that needs to be iconic? Brickell in Miami is full of starchitect towers, but it still feels sterile at street level, especially at night.

I guess I will admit that I more concerned with bringing more office space, more hotel rooms and more housing online and improving the economics of Boston vs. the design element.
Czervik.Construction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:43 AM   #133
Jahvon09

The shape of the hotel makes it look somewhat like THIS!

http://www.librariansfor911truth.org...wtc3before.jpg
Jahvon09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 12:27 AM   #134
stick n move

I found some wiiild renderings of what could have been here. Not gonna post em cuz its not getting built but heres the link for those interested.

https://www.tangram3ds.com/seaport-competition/
Old 01-24-2018, 07:23 AM   #135
Equilibria

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick n move View Post
I found some wiiild renderings of what could have been here. Not gonna post em cuz its not getting built but heres the link for those interested.

https://www.tangram3ds.com/seaport-competition/
Kind of oversold me on the "wiiild" there. Each of those would be getting this same reaction. Cool find, though.
Equilibria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 08:19 PM   #136
BeeLine

Old 03-30-2018, 08:33 PM   #137
stick n move

I know this is a dated render, the new ones I posted further up this page, but I found a render view that everybody including myself has been wondering about. How this is going to look from and how convenient is this to the BCEC. Although dated it still gives you a good enough idea of what you can expect looking the other way down Summer st. towards this development. You can see the ghost outlines of the garage and waterside place phase 1B as well which although superimposed I don't think those have been shown from this angle before either. Now I hope they'll show the other direction towards the city with the two parcels of seaport square on the right that have the steps between them to congress st. and there have also been a few proposals for a hotel across the street from that so maybe a ghost placeholder for that across the street too if necessary to show the density. Either way its cool to see how its going to look in a general sense from street level.

Just swap that view with this and you get the just of what were getting here:

Old 04-05-2018, 07:05 PM   #138
BeeLine

Looks like they are getting ready to start site prep.

Old 04-06-2018, 08:58 AM   #139
Arborway

The long-discussed commuter rail shuttle station should be built from precisely where that truck is sitting on back to the curve at the overpass.

Instead:

Boston: "Let's build it on the far side of the convention center near the channel, within sight of South Station and offering pedestrian access to nothing, lmao"
Arborway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:37 AM   #140
Cliff Clavin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arborway View Post
The long-discussed commuter rail shuttle station should be built from precisely where that truck is sitting on back to the curve at the overpass.

Instead:

Boston: "Let's build it on the far side of the convention center near the channel, within sight of South Station and offering pedestrian access to nothing, lmao"
Interesting. I thought this plan was nixed. Any ETA on this?
Cliff Clavin is offline   Reply With Quote