archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-29-2017, 08:41 PM   #5001
swtat
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Malden
Posts: 51
Re: Orange Line bustitution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel N. Weber II View Post
Apparently the Orange Line was bustituted today due to a broken rail on the bridge over the Mystic.

What I'm curious about is why the express track wasn't used to avoid the broken rail. Perhaps that would have meant no northbound trains would have stopped at Assembly, but wouldn't getting off at Assembly by changing to a southbound train at Wellington or heading from Assembly to stops north of the Mystic by changing at Sullivan have been less of a pain than bustitution?
You mean the test track? It's an active construction site right now and it's missing the third rail between Sullivan Square and Community College.
swtat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:54 PM   #5002
Jouhou
Senior Member
 
Jouhou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Portsmouth, NH
Posts: 511
Re: General MBTA Discussion Thread

https://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...467182403.html
Jouhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:58 PM   #5003
Jahvon09
Senior Member
 
Jahvon09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,136
Re: General MBTA Discussion Thread

I'm sure that there will be lawsuits resulting from this incident!
Jahvon09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:28 PM   #5004
KentXie
Senior Member
 
KentXie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fenway
Posts: 3,636
Re: General MBTA Discussion Thread

My B line ride today was:

Board B line train at Park Street
Driver kicks everyone off at Kenmore
Board next B line train
Driver makes announcement that it will be standing by due to train at platform ahead (the very same train they kicked us off of)
Few stops later, driver makes announcement that it will be standing by due to a schedule adjustment
Train on standby for more the 8 minutes
Decides to get off the train and walk home
Walks to the next stop to see train sitting there with passengers, the very same train that I got kicked off of
Train had kicked passengers off at Kenmore for no reason
This occurred 2 hours after a disabled train at Sunderland Road. 2 hrs and there's still "moderate residual delays"

This is why I'm a bitter Bostonian
KentXie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:41 PM   #5005
Wash
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Arlington
Posts: 19
Re: General MBTA Discussion Thread

Apparently, the Mattapan-Ashmont high-speed line is out of service for the forseable future due to PCC "Propulsion problems"

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...BvK/story.html
Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:16 PM   #5006
vanshnookenraggen
Moderator
 
vanshnookenraggen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 6,050
Re: General MBTA Discussion Thread

Sounds like the same shit they tried with Arborway.
__________________
http://www.vanshnookenraggen.com | http://futurembta.com | http://hyperrealcartography.tumblr.com
brivx: well, my philosophy is: as designers, we make a good theater, we dont direct the play
vanshnookenraggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:23 PM   #5007
tysmith95
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: North Shore
Posts: 1,971
Re: General MBTA Discussion Thread

The Ashmont Mattapan line can't go on forever with those trains. They need to find a way to convert it to green line trains or BRT.

I always thought it was a weird ass place to have antique trains rolling around. Elsewhere in Boston it would be a tourist attraction, but the vast majority of tourists are not going to venture out to Mattapan.
tysmith95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:08 PM   #5008
jklo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 114
Re: General MBTA Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
The Ashmont Mattapan line can't go on forever with those trains. They need to find a way to convert it to green line trains or BRT.
I would think ideally it would just become a real part of the Red line instead of the trolley. Maybe it will increase Fairmount ridership if it really ends up being indefinite.
jklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:14 PM   #5009
tysmith95
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: North Shore
Posts: 1,971
Re: General MBTA Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklo View Post
I would think ideally it would just become a real part of the Red line instead of the trolley. Maybe it will increase Fairmount ridership if it really ends up being indefinite.
A big negative with the Fairmount line is frequencies, and that isn't going to change until we get a NSRL or South Station Expansion.
tysmith95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:22 PM   #5010
Jahvon09
Senior Member
 
Jahvon09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,136
Re: General MBTA Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by KentXie View Post
My B line ride today was:

Board B line train at Park Street
Driver kicks everyone off at Kenmore
Board next B line train
Driver makes announcement that it will be standing by due to train at platform ahead (the very same train they kicked us off of)
Few stops later, driver makes announcement that it will be standing by due to a schedule adjustment
Train on standby for more the 8 minutes
Decides to get off the train and walk home
Walks to the next stop to see train sitting there with passengers, the very same train that I got kicked off of
Train had kicked passengers off at Kenmore for no reason
This occurred 2 hours after a disabled train at Sunderland Road. 2 hrs and there's still "moderate residual delays"

This is why I'm a bitter Bostonian

So utterly ridiculous to have gone though that crap!!
Jahvon09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:53 AM   #5011
vanshnookenraggen
Moderator
 
vanshnookenraggen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 6,050
Re: General MBTA Discussion Thread

The MBTA would L O V E to bustitute this line. It would be such a loss. But extending the heavy rail Red Line would require an overpass at Central Ave and Capen St which is 1) expensive and 2) going to bring the ire of Milton NIMBYs (especially along Eliot St). You'd basically have to have Milton and Mattapan come out and fight FOR Red Line to keep seeing trains down there and I don't think that's going to happen (Mattapan yes, Milton no).

An RL extension would only have 2 stations, Lower Mills and Mattapan and I'm not sure Lower Mills can really justify the cost. Mattapan would be a more obvious choice if it wasn't for the new Blue Hills Ave station going in. You know the MBTA is going to say that's enough and call it a day.

IF the MBTA is going to keep running this as a trolley then you need to see the state rep from Milton step in and find funding to buy some new trolleys for the line. It would be nice to have modern low floor cars to make the line ADA compliant. The state rep, William Driscoll is on the Transportation Committee so maybe that's a help.
__________________
http://www.vanshnookenraggen.com | http://futurembta.com | http://hyperrealcartography.tumblr.com
brivx: well, my philosophy is: as designers, we make a good theater, we dont direct the play
vanshnookenraggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:40 AM   #5012
bakgwailo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 569
Re: General MBTA Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanshnookenraggen View Post
The MBTA would L O V E to bustitute this line. It would be such a loss. But extending the heavy rail Red Line would require an overpass at Central Ave and Capen St which is 1) expensive and 2) going to bring the ire of Milton NIMBYs (especially along Eliot St). You'd basically have to have Milton and Mattapan come out and fight FOR Red Line to keep seeing trains down there and I don't think that's going to happen (Mattapan yes, Milton no).

An RL extension would only have 2 stations, Lower Mills and Mattapan and I'm not sure Lower Mills can really justify the cost. Mattapan would be a more obvious choice if it wasn't for the new Blue Hills Ave station going in. You know the MBTA is going to say that's enough and call it a day.

IF the MBTA is going to keep running this as a trolley then you need to see the state rep from Milton step in and find funding to buy some new trolleys for the line. It would be nice to have modern low floor cars to make the line ADA compliant. The state rep, William Driscoll is on the Transportation Committee so maybe that's a help.

I believe they are spending about $8 million on rebuilding the existing PCCs. The line itself, even with PCCs is already fully ADA compliant (with the one allowed exception), too. That said - I have noticed they are running the buses at even greater frequency than the trolleys, the conspiracy theorist in me makes me think it is to try to show people that buses aren't as bad/run more frequently than the trolley.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:35 PM   #5013
Jahvon09
Senior Member
 
Jahvon09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,136
Re: General MBTA Discussion Thread

Bottom line; They're just going to have to get down to brass knuckles & consider replacing the old trolleys with new & update equipment, just like they are replacing all the old railcars on both the Red & Orange Lines.
Jahvon09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:50 PM   #5014
fattony
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Davis/Ball Sq.
Posts: 1,537
Re: General MBTA Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahvon09 View Post
Bottom line; They're just going to have to get down to brass knuckles & consider replacing the old trolleys with new & update equipment, just like they are replacing all the old railcars on both the Red & Orange Lines.
No kidding! Or else we just could stand here and talk until the cows turn blue in the face.
fattony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 03:52 PM   #5015
bakgwailo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 569
Re: General MBTA Discussion Thread

Or... spend a few million to rebuild them like they are doing and punt it down the road for another decade (which is what is happening).
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 05:34 PM   #5016
cden4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,011
Re: General MBTA Discussion Thread

San Francisco runs heritage trolley cars in service every day. If they can do it, why can't we?
cden4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:11 PM   #5017
Jahvon09
Senior Member
 
Jahvon09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,136
Re: General MBTA Discussion Thread

Penny-wise, pound foolish!!
Jahvon09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 04:50 PM   #5018
bakgwailo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 569
Re: General MBTA Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cden4 View Post
San Francisco runs heritage trolley cars in service every day. If they can do it, why can't we?
Or just do a PCC-II style full modern rebuild where basically the shells are retained and everything thing else is modernized, like other cities have done.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:50 PM   #5019
Jahvon09
Senior Member
 
Jahvon09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,136
Re: General MBTA Discussion Thread

This might be an easy fix;

Make several of THESE for the Mattapan Line, but have them painted in the same color scheme as the new Red Line Railcars! Nice & easy!

No new construction would be needed, except maybe to replace the rails.


https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...KBTBnYBzu4hE8A
Jahvon09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:52 PM   #5020
tysmith95
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: North Shore
Posts: 1,971
Re: General MBTA Discussion Thread

I don't think it's worth it to have the heritage trolleys. In San Francisco it's a tourist attraction. In Boston it's not, tourists don't venture that far south. No need to spend a fortune on fixing up old cars when BRT or regular green line light rail will work fine and be cheaper in the long run.

I think the most cost effective option would be to do something similar to the Silver Line extension in Cheslea.

Probably the preferred option would be to extend the Redline out to Mattapan. Although I honestly think there are other transit needs that should be addressed before that happens. I'd rather see the NSRL and increased rapid transit like frequencies and electrification of the Fairmount Line.

A NSRL and electrification on Fairmount and NBYPT/RKPT and you could put a rapid transit like line that goes from Beverly to Readville. Would add much needed service to the poorer parts of Boston and under-served parts of the North Shore (like Lynn).

Last edited by tysmith95; 02-03-2018 at 07:03 PM.
tysmith95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A discussion regarding Chinatown commuter guy Boston Architecture & Urbanism 31 05-07-2016 05:30 AM
MBTA thread(s) cleanup Arlington Board Issues and Announcements 2 03-12-2015 05:46 PM
General RER-type service thread BostonUrbEx Transit and Infrastructure 26 11-22-2014 01:16 PM
General Real Estate/Rental Discussion BostonUrbEx Boston Architecture & Urbanism 5 04-16-2012 01:46 PM
aB Awards General Discussion statler 2008 Awards Nominations & Discussion 10 02-18-2009 05:40 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.