archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:12 PM   #581
datadyne007

Re: Whiskey Priest/Atlantic Beer Garden Redevelopment | 150 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRifleman View Post
Just curious what is the history behind what were the causes to the pollution to Boston Harbor?
Combined sewer/storm drains that dumped directly into Boston Harbor and the local waterways like the Charles.
datadyne007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:04 AM   #582
stick n move

Re: Whiskey Priest/Atlantic Beer Garden Redevelopment | 150 Seaport Blvd | Seaport

Yea i think I remember reading sewage and waste water was still dumped into the harbor until like the 2000s where they finally declared everything was accounted for. There were centuries old infrastructure that had to be found and sealed/diverted and not everything was as easy to account for as you would hope.
stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:19 AM   #583
BeeLine

^^^ And they needed to build the Deer Island Treatment Plant and dig the 9.5 mile outfill tunnel.
BeeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 07:24 AM   #584
stellarfun

The gray that you see is sewage.

The Cuyahoga River in Cleveland.

The Cuyahoga River after it caught fire one day from the pollution.

In London, they suffer from 'fatbergs'. Don't read before eating.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...-sewage-system

In Peabody, once upon a time there was a structure called a grease pit, which was astride the main sewer line leading to the outfall in Salem Harbor. The grease pit caught on fire, the local fire departments couldn't put the sewer fire out Only after Logan Airport responded with several crash trucks was the fire extinguished.

After they built a new sewage treatment plant in Salem (for Salem, Peabody, Marblehead, and several surrounding jurisdictions) a group of Russian engineers were given a tour. Sludge from the treatment of what flows in a sewer is dewatered by drying. The Russians asked what the chromium content of the dried sludge was. It was about as high as chromium ore. (Chromium was used in the tanning process in the Peabody leather plants.) Before the treatment plant, the chromium flowed straight into an outfall in Salem Harbor. The outfall was the prized fishing grounds for flounder, the fish feasting on what was coming out of the pipe. So for many years, all those who fished there for flounder were unwittingly poisoning themselves with a highly toxic heavy metal.
Old 12-18-2017, 07:49 AM   #585
JANAM

Boy, Boston Harbor was disgusting back then. Kudos to CLF for contributing to getting it cleaned up, it seemed that they actually cared back then. Now it appears that, while being funded by the taxpaying public, they are opposing what the public is overwhelmingly in favor of.
JANAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 03:59 PM   #586
SeamusMcFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by datadyne007 View Post
I am DYING at "hash brown"
I refuse to call a lb sign or a number sign by it's third and most annoying name.

I did rip off my good friend H though. She deserves all credit.
SeamusMcFly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:05 PM   #587
SeamusMcFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by JANAM View Post
Boy, Boston Harbor was disgusting back then. Kudos to CLF for contributing to getting it cleaned up, it seemed that they actually cared back then. Now it appears that, while being funded by the taxpaying public, they are opposing what the public is overwhelmingly in favor of.
Aye. Growing up a kid in the 80's our annual trip to Maine brought us through downtown Boston. Back then, you knew if it was low tide just by riding through with the windows down.

Imagine selling all those million (+) dollar homes on the waterfront then.
SeamusMcFly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 10:15 PM   #588
odurandina

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarfun View Post

In London, they suffer from 'fatbergs'. Don't read before eating....

In Peabody, once upon a time there was a structure called a grease pit, which was astride the main sewer line leading to the outfall in Salem Harbor. The grease pit caught on fire......
Great info. Thanks.
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 08:32 PM   #589
tysmith95

Take this with a grain of salt but I've heard rumors that Whisky Priest is planning to close in March. Their Facebook page mentions that they will be closing for good in 2018, though i'm not able to find an exact date.

Hopefully construction will commence shortly after.
tysmith95 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:05 AM   #590
JANAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
Take this with a grain of salt but I've heard rumors that Whisky Priest is planning to close in March. Their Facebook page mentions that they will be closing for good in 2018, though i'm not able to find an exact date.

Hopefully construction will commence shortly after.

I've heard that they are closing after St. Patty's Day and relocating to a location downtown. That will be a hell of a party on March 17th!!
JANAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:07 PM   #591
cjbski

Whiskey Priest is no longer open for business on Sundays or Mondays according to a sign on their door. Step by step....goodbye
cjbski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
residential, seaport, south boston, tower, waterfront