archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:03 PM   #21
itchy

Re: Emerson College - Little Building Addition + Renovation | 80 Boylston St | Downto

You've got to be kidding... And replaced with what, alucobond and glass?

Are they re-using the existing facade elements (after a cleaning)? Is the building in any way protected?
itchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:16 PM   #22
resisttheist

Re: Emerson College - Little Building Addition + Renovation | 80 Boylston St | Downto

As you can see from the renderings, the facade of the existing building will look identical to what is there now (minus the metal strapping and patchwork). The existing facade was laser scanned, and each piece of stone facing will be recreated out of, I forget what, some kind of precast concrete I think.
resisttheist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 12:57 AM   #23
itchy

Jesus, that seems wasteful (and just ludicrous). Wouldn't it be cheaper (and much less an affront to the city's history and aesthetic) to make targeted fixes to any damaged stonework while glassing over the air shafts?
Old 06-05-2017, 07:27 AM   #24
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by itchy View Post
Jesus, that seems wasteful (and just ludicrous). Wouldn't it be cheaper (and much less an affront to the city's history and aesthetic) to make targeted fixes to any damaged stonework while glassing over the air shafts?
Sounds like the existing material is beyond repair. I think targeted fixes is an understatement -- the whole of the face material is crumbling.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:23 AM   #25
stellarfun

The cost of recasting and replacing the stone in the lightwells is probably prohibitive for little aesthetic benefit. And most people traversing Tremont don't notice the lightwells; would be different if these were the Boylston St side.

Might they be using 3-D printing to create the molds?
Old 06-05-2017, 09:06 AM   #26
bigpicture7

I'm sorry that I don't have pictures to share (and maybe someone does, or has other information about the process), but I wanted to share that the facade reconstruction that's being done incrementally on BU's Myles Standish Hall involved ripping off all of the 1st floor level stone and replacing it with new material. I walk by the backside (Bay State Rd) of this building semi-frequently, and when I first saw it I was in horror because the new material had this sterile bright white appearance. However, I then noticed that the masons were applying some sort of acid wash finish treatment in several stages...and when they got done, the new material had this wonderful authentic looking patina to it. I now believe that no one but an expert will think that stone is not original...

Now after hearing about the Little Building being a facade replacement, I am now curious if they will use a similar technique to maintain an authentic look.

And for anyone in the Kenmore area...walk around to the Bay State Rd side of Myles, and you'll see what I'm talking about...only about 1/3 of the building is restored so far, but you can tell which section I'm talking about because it has the new black-trimmed windows on the ground floor.

EDIT:
Found some info and images from BU's project blog:

Here's the new white material before treatment:
(bottom right corner of image)

https://www.bu.edu/facilities/2017/0...1517-to-42117/

Now, here's what the same material looks like after treatment:

https://www.bu.edu/facilities/2017/0...ty-5617-51217/

Last edited by bigpicture7; 06-05-2017 at 09:42 AM.
bigpicture7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:14 AM   #27
statler

Entropy sucks. (As does delayed maintenance)
statler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:28 AM   #28
Justin7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpicture7 View Post
wonderful authentic looking patina
Is this an oxymoron? I can't decide.
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:52 AM   #29
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Is this an oxymoron? I can't decide.
Reminds me of the label on an alarm clock I used to have: "This case is real, authentic, simulated walnut."
Old 06-05-2017, 10:58 AM   #30
estyle

Quote:
With building of that era there are usually pretty significant changes required to get them up to current seismic code. If you look at the cover of the IMP amendment you can see some big X braces. I don't think this is something that can be dealt with in repairs anymore.

estyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:11 AM   #31
bigpicture7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDowntown View Post
Reminds me of the label on an alarm clock I used to have: "This case is real, authentic, simulated walnut."
; )

Your point is well taken. And I have no idea if this was a cheap shortcut, or if the material truly couldn't have been saved and this is actually an elaborate replication process. Shame on them if it could have been saved.

But my point is simply that the outcome looks pretty good. I was pleasantly surprised because I was unfamiliar with this type of surface treatment. My surprise, I suppose, is the result of my expectation being set pretty low.

Judge for yourself.

Last edited by bigpicture7; 06-05-2017 at 11:23 AM.
bigpicture7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 01:01 AM   #32
itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by estyle View Post
With building of that era there are usually pretty significant changes required to get them up to current seismic code.
Meh... I'm not convinced. Wouldn't that same logic tell us that a significant proportion of Boston (not to mention half the continent of Europe) needs to be deconstructed and replaced with seismically sound pre-fab materials?
Old 06-06-2017, 08:52 AM   #33
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Meh... I'm not convinced. Wouldn't that same logic tell us that a significant proportion of Boston (not to mention half the continent of Europe) needs to be deconstructed and replaced with seismically sound pre-fab materials?
The seismic issue may be overstated, but if the facade material is all crumbling (and it has been for years), you are not going to be able to salvage it. It has been falling off in big chunks, even without an earthquake.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:28 AM   #34
estyle

Quote:
Well, no. That's a reasonable point, buildings don't have to be kept up to code. But the exterior is in such bad shape that the work is going to trigger the need to meet modern codes. If you really look at it, the building is falling apart--the amount of strapping holding that facade on is amazing. And there is probably significant rust jacking to deal with on the structure. I'm actually fairly impressed that Emerson is putting it back and not tearing the whole thing down and starting over, which is what most entities would do.
estyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 11:11 AM   #35
BeeLine

BeeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:10 PM   #36
BeeLine

BeeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:39 AM   #37
Boston02124

Boston02124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:29 AM   #38
kz1000ps

Old 01-17-2018, 01:23 PM   #39
RandomWalk

I was walking by earlier this week, and it seems like they’re just demolishing the whole structure. I thought it was a gut and reclad with infills.
RandomWalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:45 PM   #40
Arborway

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomWalk View Post
I was walking by earlier this week, and it seems like they’re just demolishing the whole structure. I thought it was a gut and reclad with infills.
Joke's on you! The plastic sheeting will come down and the whole thing will be replaced by a tower of shining, sterile Alucobond and offset windows, with every three panes wrapped in a gigantic frame to hide the fact the building is as tall as it ever was.
Arborway is offline   Reply With Quote