archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 11-30-2017, 09:50 AM   #3621
Lrfox

Re: Logan Flight Additions

Quote:
Originally Posted by meddlepal View Post
Or you know rather than jump on the racism bandwagon maybe it has to do with needing to know the Spanish language.

I just don't have the patience to deal with non-English speaking destinations. That's not racism... just pragmatism.
Maybe not racism, but that's still a largely inaccurate generalization. English is spoken almost everywhere - even in countries where English isn't the primary language. You need to know approximately zero Spanish in Mexico City to be able to get by easily. I've had an easier time communicating with people in Rwanda, Tanzania, Mexico, Denmark, India, etc. than I did in rural Scotland where the "English" is so thick it's hard to understand. Even in Japan, where almost nobody will speak English, it's easy to get around and get by because signs, menus, etc. are all in English.

I understand that everyone has their preferences, and non-English speaking countries intimidate some travelers; but not speaking the local language really isn't an issue in most places people travel to at least semi-regularly. At all.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:42 AM   #3622
Justin7

Quote:
Or you know rather than jump on the racism bandwagon maybe it has to do with needing to know the Spanish language.

I just don't have the patience to deal with non-English speaking destinations. That's not racism... just pragmatism.
Your "pragmatism" is causing you to miss out on... most of the world.
"You cannot take in a whole Boston street with a single glance of the eye and then lose your interest because you have thus taken the edge off future discovery; on the contrary, every step reveals some portion of a building which you could not see before, some change in your vista, and some suggestion of pleasant variety yet to come, which not only keeps your interest alive but heightens it and persuades you to go on."
Justin7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:59 PM   #3623
tysmith95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrfox View Post
Not BOS, but PVD:

Air Canada (Express) is returning to PVD. Seasonally, at least Flights for the summer season begin in May: https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...ies/904691001/

TF Green is on a nice little run with the Frontier and Norwegian additions. This is another good one. After LCCs like Southwest and Jetblue expanded in Boston, Providence took a bit of a nose dive in Passenger numbers. I'm glad to see they're adding more flights (inc. more international ones) now. It's a great airport.
PVD seems to be rebounding from the recession much better than MHT.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 02:22 PM   #3624
Lrfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
PVD seems to be rebounding from the recession much better than MHT.
It seems that way. While PVD is actually a bit further from Boston than MHT, it's far better connected and serves a much larger population center. So those factors certainly don't hurt. I've flown from MHT a few times too though and the experience has been good.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:05 PM   #3625
Jouhou

Quote:

Fortunately for English speakers, English is the language of business like French is the language of diplomacy. English is a common lingua franca and you will find that many well educated people around the world speak at least some english.

Also the star rating system for hotels, four star hotels require bilingual staff, 5 star hotels multi lingual staff. English is usually one of the languages spoken. There's a reason why international business travelers tend to stay in these higher quality places.
Jouhou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 01:57 PM   #3626
jass

Quote:

We are talking about Mexico City, not Tuxtla Gutiérrez
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:07 AM   #3627
jass

I dont think this was reported:

Copa:
Panama City – Boston eff 02FEB18 Increase from 7 to 11 weekly
Old 12-07-2017, 01:23 PM   #3628
jass

JetBlue CEO Robin Hayes is scheduled at a Worcester Regional Chamber of Commerce meeting Thursday, where he is expected to announce the start date for flights from Worcester Regional Airport to New York.

The airline earlier this year announced the expansion of flights from Worcester airport to John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York City, a major development for New England's second-largest city.

These new flights will allow people in Central Massachusetts to make day trips to New York or connect to international flights departing from JFK.

http://www.masslive.com/news/worcest...nce_start.html
Old 12-07-2017, 04:17 PM   #3629
sm89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass View Post
J
These new flights will allow people in Central Massachusetts to make day trips to New York or connect to international flights departing from JFK.
[/url]
Day trips? Worcester is even closer to NYC by car than Boston and lots of people drive to NYC from Boston. Weird statement by the CEO.
sm89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:36 PM   #3630
Arlington

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm89 View Post
Day trips? Worcester is even closer to NYC by car than Boston and lots of people drive to NYC from Boston. Weird statement by the CEO.
He's an airline CEO. He's not saying that trips were impossible on other modes. He's saying day trips are now possible by air.

Worcester is in a funny spot vs NYC travel, perhaps exploitable by JetBlue:
- Acela is a good option...but you have to drive to PVD
- Driving is good to Westchester/Triboro type places that LGA or HPN are near, but getting to Brooklyn or Wall St can be hard
- JFK has Air Train + A Train access to Brooklyn & Wall Street
- Growth at PVD suggests ORH should be able to support more service, even though it has always struggled
- JetBlue has had decent success adding odd airports within major metros (LGB in Los Angeles, SWF and HPN in Greater NYC)
- I-95 (and soon I-84) (re)construction are a big wildcard for car trips

Last edited by Arlington; 12-07-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Arlington is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 11:43 AM   #3631
adamh8297

Good news and potential bad news.

Boston-London Gatwick will be daily on Norwegian for the summer season.

BUT it appears seasonal Boston-Oslo/Copenhagen are cut by Norwegian unless there is a shuffle going on from other recent long haul adds (Los Angeles-Milan, JFK-Amsterdam, JFK/LA-Madrid). They did post a long-haul route map with the routes still being served. There's a chance they are just syncing these flights to go on the off-days of the Boston-Paris flight.
adamh8297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #3632
mass88

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamh8297 View Post
Good news and potential bad news.

Boston-London Gatwick will be daily on Norwegian for the summer season.

BUT it appears seasonal Boston-Oslo/Copenhagen are cut by Norwegian unless there is a shuffle going on from other recent long haul adds (Los Angeles-Milan, JFK-Amsterdam, JFK/LA-Madrid). They did post a long-haul route map with the routes still being served. There's a chance they are just syncing these flights to go on the off-days of the Boston-Paris flight.
Looks like they're definitely cutting Oslo and Stockholm to help fill LGW daily and also new routes from LAX and JFK.

On the plus side Hainan is adding frequencies on Shanghai - Boston. They cut Shanghai - Seattle in order to do this.
mass88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 12:53 PM   #3633
adamh8297

Air Europa is returning from mid-June until mid-September

Boston-Madrid will be Tue/Thurs/Sat in Summer 18 instead of Wed/Fri/Sun as it was last summer.

Southwest is also running a Saturday Boston-New Orleans flight for most of March.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:57 PM   #3634
adamh8297

Delta loaded a Saturday Boston-Aruba flight for Summer 18 June 9 - August 25. Its in Amadeus but not bookable yet nor has type of plane being used.

BOS-AUA 9:27-14:05 6
AUA-BOS 15:05-19:54 6
Old 01-03-2018, 01:56 AM   #3635
Jouhou

Without Norwegian, we still have Copenhagen service. I'm a little dismayed they killed Oslo service though. You'd think all the major Scandinavian cities would be well matched with Boston.
Old 01-03-2018, 08:28 PM   #3636
adamh8297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jouhou View Post
Without Norwegian, we still have Copenhagen service. I'm a little dismayed they killed Oslo service though. You'd think all the major Scandinavian cities would be well matched with Boston.
I think Norwegian wants to be less involved/responsible with connections which made up a higher portion of the Boston-Copenhagen/Oslo flyers and leave it up to a service like GatwickConnects.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:09 PM   #3637
Jouhou

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamh8297 View Post
I think Norwegian wants to be less involved/responsible with connections which made up a higher portion of the Boston-Copenhagen/Oslo flyers and leave it up to a service like GatwickConnects.
It seems like you have access to some O&D numbers. If not Oslo, can Boston ever support a route to Stockholm?
Old 01-04-2018, 09:23 PM   #3638
tysmith95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jouhou View Post
It seems like you have access to some O&D numbers. If not Oslo, can Boston ever support a route to Stockholm?
I feel like Boston could easily support cities like Oslo or Stockholm with a 737 or A320. A 787 is too large for those markets.

With the NEO and MAX hopefully we'll start seeing more flights to smaller and mid sized European cities.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:06 PM   #3639
Jouhou

Quote:
I feel like Boston could easily support cities like Oslo or Stockholm with a 737 or A320. A 787 is too large for those markets.

With the NEO and MAX hopefully we'll start seeing more flights to smaller and mid sized European cities.
I would think between business traffic for the offshore wind industry mass is trying to jump start and simple tourist interest would have sustained the seasonal twice weekly oslo flight. I guess not. I don't want the 737 or a320- I refuse to fly long haul in the increasingly uncomfortable economy class and norwegian has no premium economy on these.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:29 PM   #3640
mass88

Quote:

My question would be, who is going to fly them? Boston - Europe is very well served and there really are not a lot of cities that would warrant service. Lisbon, Madrid, Barcelona, Paris, Rome, Zurich, Amsterdam, London (Heathrow, Gatwick and Stanstead), Birmingham, Manchester, Dublin, Shannon, Manchester, Reykjavik, Copenhagen, Frankfurt and Munich all have non-stop service. Some of these are seasonal and for good reason. Apart from Brussels, Milan and maybe Berlin, what is left that would warrant service in Europe?
mass88 is offline   Reply With Quote