archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 12-05-2017, 08:37 AM   #1601
HenryAlan

Re: BU Development Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jass View Post
So the inside of Myles is looking very different. All historical stuff is gone
i lived in Myles in the late 80s, the historical stuff was already long gone at that point, unless you consider the bizarrely textured plaster in the hallways to be historic. I know a few years after I was there, they did some work in the cafeteria and other first floor spaces that may have brought somewhat of a faux historic look, but I think much of the original visual details from when Babe Ruth lived there disappeared long ago.

[edit]

Okay, looking at the pictures, I now see what you mean. I can see what they've done and why they did it -- basically turning it in to a more standard student dorm style, but I really enjoyed the non-dorm quirks of the old floor plan, and the suites, rather than the individual rooms shown on the diagram. Sniff.
HenryAlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:43 AM   #1602
jass

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
Okay, looking at the pictures, I now see what you mean. I can see what they've done and why they did it -- basically turning it in to a more standard student dorm style, but I really enjoyed the non-dorm quirks of the old floor plan, and the suites, rather than the individual rooms shown on the diagram. Sniff.
Yes it looks like they went to Dorms R Us.

There also used to be a nautical theming
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:05 AM   #1603
Rover

Any good times I had living there had little to do with the décor, but I agree that it looked more like a 50's jobber than the original hotel. Even the former bar/speakeasy which was a study lounge was covered in 1980's carpeting from wall to wall. I do remember the dining room being somewhat ornate though and I'm glad they kept that.
Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 11:16 AM   #1604
jass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover View Post
Any good times I had living there had little to do with the décor, but I agree that it looked more like a 50's jobber than the original hotel. Even the former bar/speakeasy which was a study lounge was covered in 1980's carpeting from wall to wall. I do remember the dining room being somewhat ornate though and I'm glad they kept that.
No you misunderstood, the dining hall is completely gone. It is now a multipurpose room that can be seen in bdurden's photo (it was locked for me).

I do not know what was done to the "secondary" dining hall area (the back) or the kitchens in the basement.

But you are correct, the building was full of crappy carpeting and non-original flourescent lighting.

The historical stuff was limited to the dining hall, the first floor hallway, entrance way, and elevators. The service elevator was also very old, it had a chain door you manually opened and you had to open it at the right time to get your elevator to stop where you wanted it. The Annex elevator also looked to be original.
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 02:09 PM   #1605
bdurden

Now open (although work on the entrance courtyard continues): http://www.bu.edu/today/2017/new-joa...theatre-opens/
bdurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:28 PM   #1606
BeeLine

BeeLine is offline   Reply With Quote