archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Transit and Infrastructure

Transit and Infrastructure All things T or civilly engineered within Boston Metro.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:27 PM   #1001
jklo

Re: North-South Rail Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattony View Post
The depth is mind boggling. That is why many folks see inclined moving walkways and escalators to be decent solutions to distributing people from the underground stations to distant locations. It isn't like you just hop off the BL and onto the CR. It will be a massive elevator or a dizzying series of escalators. You might as well use those escalators to traverse some distance in an east/west fashion and not just straight up/down.
Well, Blue according to the map is already halfway there, but I see what you mean.
jklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 05:51 PM   #1002
bigpicture7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WormtownNative View Post
That said, these dual modes cost more than your typical diesel powered or catenary powered locomotive, so it might be better just to bite the bullet and start a full changeover.

(For a video of the changeover of the overhead to diesel:
https://youtu.be/dUI19vdvSOU)
Interesting. So the key question is: was the cost of either dual-mode locomotive procurement or pervasive electrified rail changeover included in the Harvard Kennedy School's analysis of the cost of NSRL?
bigpicture7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:52 PM   #1003
Arlington

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpicture7 View Post
Interesting. So the key question is: was the cost of either dual-mode locomotive procurement or pervasive electrified rail changeover included in the Harvard Kennedy School's analysis of the cost of NSRL?
I think HKS did just the core tunnel. But the changeover in rolling stock can happen in out-year equipment replacement cycles...when diesels wear out, electrify another branch and buy electric replacements

Dual modes are still going to be too heavy. They work on NJT & MNRR because both have shallow stations (a few stories below the street) that the dual modes can work in. (For the new deep East Side Access under Grand Central, I think that will be 100% electric only)

Acelas will need a front and rear locomotive, and the commuter rail will likely need to be EMU (which, like the subway, has motors on at least half the axles)
Old 10-17-2017, 10:58 AM   #1004
elemenoh

Is anyone going to tonight's MassDOT meeting about the NSRL?
MassDOT – North South Rail Link
Public Meeting
Tuesday, October 17, 2017
6:30 – 8:30 PM

Atlantic Wharf, Fort Point Room
290 Congress Street, Boston, MA (adjacent to BSA Space)

...MassDOT is undertaking a Feasibility Reassessment for the North South Rail Link Project to update the prior work and determine if further technical and financial analysis is warranted.
More details:
http://www.massdot.state.ma.us/plann...hRailLink.aspx
elemenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 01:19 PM   #1005
CBCArch61

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoh View Post
Public Meeting

...MassDOT is undertaking a Feasibility Reassessment for the North South Rail Link Project to update the prior work and determine if further technical and financial analysis is warranted.
More details:
I will be attending this.
CBCArch61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:58 PM   #1006
cadetcarl

I went. The meeting was fairly well-attended but there wasn't much to talk about, as the study is in relative infancy. On display were boards which were mostly taken from the last study in 2003, from whole cloth. All of it was pretty well documented and can be found on Transit Matters's social media accounts, as well as other usual suspects in attendance like Ari Ofsevit. Nothing surprising to report for anyone who's been following this thread. A few things of note from my perspective were:

-The working group is assuming for the sake of this study that the commuter rail would run dual-mode units (catenary in the tunnel and maybe through the inner suburbs, switching to diesel when things spread out) and eventually all electric, but made the deliberate choice to avoid fleet and systemwide electrification in the scope of this project.

-They are studying 9 potential variations, from no-build up through 4 tracks, 3 stations and minimum headways.

-Their modeling will not include South Coast rail because there's no funding vehicle for that yet so it's not "real", but will include SLX and GLX.
cadetcarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:36 PM   #1007
dshoost88

Urban Land Institute (ULI) featured this story about their work on the North-South Rail Link.
dshoost88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #1008
shmessy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshoost88 View Post
Urban Land Institute (ULI) featured this story about their work on the North-South Rail Link.
Thanks for finding that, ds. What jumps out at me is that everyone on that panel was from outside of Boston and it seems crystal clear to them, looking at the situation objectively and dispassionately as third parties, that the NSRL must be built if Boston is going to be competitive in the future. If Baker wants to sit around and scratch his ass, he is guaranteeing Boston's return to being a backwater.

shmessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:58 PM   #1009
DominusNovus

I felt torn on whether to ask this here or in the Amazon thread, but is anyone looking at the interplay between the possibility of Amazon at Suffolk Downs and the NSRL? Assuming the NSRL gets built w a Blue Line connection at the proposed Union Station, every single commuter rail line would have a 2 seat trip to Amazon.

Which means we probably should make sure to build Union Station if we land Amazon and break ground on NSRL (and the Red Blue connector, but thats another topic).
Old 12-22-2017, 12:57 PM   #1010
CSTH

FYI a little random, found these in an early-90s big dig-era planning doc on archive.org...

CSTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:39 PM   #1011
Scalziand

Nice find, although they definitely don't match the current plans.
Old 12-22-2017, 02:40 PM   #1012
jass

Good stuff, bad politicians
jass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:32 PM   #1013
Charlie_mta

The first and second drawings do make use of the alleged deep slurry walls that were supposedly placed below the Big Dig tunnel when it was built.

Pretty cool stuff. Too bad it will probably never be built.
Charlie_mta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:55 PM   #1014
odurandina

ULI’s Advisory Services Examines Impact of Boston North–South Rail Link

https://urbanland.uli.org/planning-d...uth-rail-link/
odurandina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:19 PM   #1015
Jahvon09

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoh View Post
Public Meeting

More details:

Has the bitterly cold weather gone away yet? Hah!!

They should think about putting in some type of tram system similar to the ones used at some of the airports, instead of digging up the streets to put in a tunnel.

Less of a hassle, most of the work is above ground & no more Big-Dig-style headaches!!
Jahvon09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:57 PM   #1016
odurandina

I thought the tunnel walls are already in place.... They just need to dig out the fill and build. i have no clue what that will look like at street level end to end.
odurandina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:44 PM   #1017
Charlie_mta

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
I thought the tunnel walls are already in place.... They just need to dig out the fill and build. i have no clue what that will look like at street level end to end.
A couple of concerns on that:

1. How deep were the external walls placed?

2. If beneath the Central Artery tunnel floor the soil is removed for a rail tunnel. what would support the existing Central Artery floor? I doubt it was built to stand alone without a lot of cross beams needing to be installed to support it over a new rail tunnel.
Charlie_mta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 10:59 PM   #1018
Arborway

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
Extending the slurry walls deeper than the auto tunnels is not the same thing as having a real tunnel you can use.

It's like building a house with a foundation that goes down far enough to allow for a basement. A shovel and some determination won't get you a new basement.

At best, you'll have a space that's not connected to any entrance or exit, which has no utilities, no floor, no ventilation of any kind, and happens to be filled with an enormous amount of dirt.

On the upside, it's very unlikely to collapse on you while you try to address all of those other things I just mentioned.
Arborway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 11:13 PM   #1019
Jahvon09

Quote:
Originally Posted by whighlander View Post
RT-128 Rail would be a great idea for suburb to suburb commute

However, it doesn't help with the "Amtrak Gap" as after your N-S RT-128 link is in place -- trains would then have to be either Boston-bound Trains or else Bypass Trains

The only way around is if you were to make the Anderson Region Transportation Station near to both I-95/Rt-128 and I-93 in Woburn as the main Amtrak station for Boston with a high speed rail shuttle connecting to North Station

No -- I think that the N-S rail link which is really for Amtrak {there being very few pure N-S commuter trips} has to connect to at least one existing Amtrak station in Boston or else build a new Amtrak station as part of the inner quasi-circumferential Urban Loop project -- and ultimately connecting to all the subway lines -- possibly next to the new Harvard

No -- I think all the proposed N-S links are pipe dreams ? they feel good ? but they are unable to stand the real light of careful analysis

Westy

Amtrak would have to buy new rolling stock for that. They are already planning to replace the now aging Acela trains with the new Alevia Liberty trains, & also bringing the new Viewliner II cars into service.

No, they got enough on their plate. The T has to pick up the tab on this one.
Jahvon09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:31 PM   #1020
CSTH

Good grief we need a NSRL FAQ
CSTH is offline   Reply With Quote