archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 12-03-2017, 06:14 PM   #221
KentXie

Re: Proto | 88 Ames Str. - Kendall Sq. | Cambridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick n move View Post
Heres a great example of a tower thats not that tall but the verticality works very well. Its just thin enough to make the height work. The facade also isn't anything special but the way the pieces are being used its coming out very well. It has the Boston white precast panels but with the grey mixed in and the vertical lines are really working. I think a lot of developers could learn a great deal from this about how to make ordinary materials look amazing. The renders also show the facade breaking up towards the top where the white lines stop and leave just the grey panels and glass to change it up in the top corner. I really like this a lot. This tower looks great.
Agreed. The sharp corners makes this tower look taller than it is, something that architects in this area seem to struggle to understand. Hopefully we see more of this.
KentXie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:02 AM   #222
stick n move

This is topped out right? The crown from looking at this render seems to be the height of 3 floors and one of the crown floors appears to have been poured already. Yes this pic was posted on the first page of the thread but it was tiny and Im using it to show the crown on this tower. Im not sure the height of each floor but I'd guess theres about 20 feet to go when they build the rest of the crown? Its already peeking above its neighbors and the crown should make it very noticeable from across the Charles which is great to see. Also the T shape of the tower gives it thin sides but still allows it to have a good amount of rentable floor space. Great design.

I like this tower a lot, its turned out great with average materials used the right way. To me thats what sets good architects apart. Whoever designed this used budget facade materials but with some imagination used them the right way to give the tower a great sense of verticality. The way the vertical lines slowly break away at the top is a nice effect and then they top it off with the roof/crown. I think the choice of colors all work very well together as well.

So what would you say 20ft left give or take?

Last edited by vanshnookenraggen; 12-06-2017 at 01:43 PM.
stick n move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:13 PM   #223
DZH22

From Sunday. Looks like it's going to be mostly hidden from Arlington. I think it's peeking out behind the left side of the fatty but tough to tell.

IMG_0680 by David Z, on Flickr
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 01:18 PM   #224
DZH22

Just checked the webcam, and they are adding the steel for the very top sections!

https://app.oxblue.com/open/BostonPr...s/BostonRegion
DZH22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 09:42 AM   #225
Pheldy34

Will this crown be lit?
Pheldy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 04:32 PM   #226
vanshnookenraggen

Old 12-20-2017, 09:27 PM   #227
Boston02124

Boston02124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 03:49 AM   #228
odurandina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheldy34 View Post
Will this crown be lit?
what crown? it's a tallish midrise.
odurandina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:51 AM   #229
Pheldy34

Quote:
Originally Posted by odurandina View Post
what crown? it's a tallish midrise.
Almost the tallest in Cambridge
Pheldy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:54 AM   #230
BeeLine

BeeLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 08:58 AM   #231
BeeLine

Old 12-24-2017, 04:53 PM   #232
Arborway

It's nice to see a high-rise embrace its verticality, rather than attempt to mask it.
Arborway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 08:18 AM   #233
meddlepal

The density is welcome, but this is one uninspired box.
meddlepal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 09:12 AM   #234
KentXie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arborway View Post
It's nice to see a high-rise embrace its verticality, rather than attempt to mask it.
+1. Its great when we get a building that doesnt look wider than it is tall as well.
KentXie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 03:04 AM   #235
stick n move

Quote:
Originally Posted by meddlepal View Post
The density is welcome, but this is one uninspired box.
I think for a white precast mid rise, with the hands they were dealt its pretty inspired.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:55 AM   #236
Czervik.Construction

It is definitely not a fat Kendall Square science box building. I think the more tall-ish and definitely more thin buildings go up in this area, the better.
Czervik.Construction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 07:24 PM   #237
BeeLine

Old 01-14-2018, 07:49 PM   #238
stick n move

Vertical lines, no double or triple windows, good height/width ratio-win.

Again we had a parking garage here now we have a fairly nice tower. I love the infill. Although for some reason some people on here think NYC is throwing up turds I like a good amount of what they are building right now but the thing I don't like at all is they are demolishing some very nice old build nyc buildings to do it. I hate that. I like how we are mostly infilling here and so the city isn't doing really any 1 for 1 swaps everything is a net gain and adding to the stock of the cities (bos-cambr). I get it that Manhattan only has so much room but its nowhere near filled up yet but some of the buildings they are tearing down are a huge loss to the city. I like how most of the things we knock down if anything are parking garages. This looks great for a white precast mid rise. Good architects can do a lot without needing world class materials. Im not saying this is world class by any means at all, but for what it is it came out great and is a net positive for Cambridge. I like that its tall enough to stick out on the skyline as well from across the Charles.
Old 01-15-2018, 07:21 AM   #239
JeffDowntown

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick n move View Post
Vertical lines, no double or triple windows, good height/width ratio-win.

Again we had a parking garage here now we have a fairly nice tower. I love the infill. Although for some reason some people on here think NYC is throwing up turds I like a good amount of what they are building right now but the thing I don't like at all is they are demolishing some very nice old build nyc buildings to do it. I hate that. I like how we are mostly infilling here and so the city isn't doing really any 1 for 1 swaps everything is a net gain and adding to the stock of the cities (bos-cambr). I get it that Manhattan only has so much room but its nowhere near filled up yet but some of the buildings they are tearing down are a huge loss to the city. I like how most of the things we knock down if anything are parking garages. This looks great for a white precast mid rise. Good architects can do a lot without needing world class materials. Im not saying this is world class by any means at all, but for what it is it came out great and is a net positive for Cambridge. I like that its tall enough to stick out on the skyline as well from across the Charles.
I completely agree. This building has some really pleasing lines. And a very significant upgrade from the garage deadzone previously in this block.