archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Development Projects

Development Projects New urban and/or architectural developments in Boston metro.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:37 AM   #3741
BosDevelop

Re: The New Retail Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwayResident View Post
Not calling BS since I think your point is valid, but I find it humorous that you've timed 10+ orders from Shake Shack to get that.

My personal anecdotes clock in at the ~10 minute range for Shake Shack and Tasty Burger (take out) but I've never explicitly timed it. That being said I'd much rather wait a bit longer to get decent food than eat McD's or Dunkin with a 3-5 minute wait.
I don't time anything. The exact time I order is printed right there on my receipt. It's not hard to do the math when I've been sitting there waiting. I don't bust out a stop watch/timer and time them or anything. But I noticed it the first couple of times I went when it wasn't crowded and thought they just were slow due to recently opening. I've never received my food there in less than 10 minutes. I live around the corner and there aren't too many options for non-McDonalds "quick" burgers in the immediate area (nod to Flippin' Burgers in Newton Centre).
BosDevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 01:21 PM   #3742
BostonDrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbski View Post
Hard to believe that Eddie V's will be successful in that hidden / back-side P.F. Chang's space when you have Del Frisco's going in right on Boylston + Abe & Louie's already there.
Don't forget that a new Four Seasons Hotel + Residences will be practically across the street from it in a couple years.
BostonDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:28 PM   #3743
Smartiro

The Smoke Shop is opening tomorrow:
https://www.boston.com/culture/resta...ation-tomorrow
Smartiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:57 AM   #3744
cjbski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartiro View Post
The Smoke Shop is opening tomorrow:
https://www.boston.com/culture/resta...ation-tomorrow
They have 180 seats! If I were the rude guy that owns Larry J's BBQ down the street in the Seaport I'd be very nervous. (Read their Yelp reviews for a laugh)
cjbski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:58 AM   #3745
cjbski

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonDrew View Post
Don't forget that a new Four Seasons Hotel + Residences will be practically across the street from it in a couple years.
AHH solid point. Maybe some better signage will help too.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:16 AM   #3746
falcon42

LOL the rude guy. He is quite the guy. I've seen him have some pretty wild interactions with customers.
falcon42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 12:48 PM   #3747
BostonDrew

For Now retail incubator opening up on 12/7 in the Seaport
http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/...kFO/story.html
Old 12-14-2017, 10:30 AM   #3748
JumboBuc

Roche Brothers is taking the ground floor at One Broadway in Kendall.

(Globe)

Last edited by JumboBuc; 12-14-2017 at 03:35 PM.
JumboBuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:45 AM   #3749
kenns15

Looks like this one is going to be a Brothers Marketplace concept, there are two of them currently in Medfield and Weston.

They are similar to the Roche Bros in downtown crossing with a bit of a more Whole Foods-esk feel, if that makes sense.
kenns15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 11:07 AM   #3750
jsr52

Anyone aware of what retail may be coming to the redeveloped south huntington corridor, serenity and the building at the corner of route 9a and s. huntington both have two spaces for retail and no action as far as anyone leasing.
jsr52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:17 PM   #3751
Downburst

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsr52 View Post
Anyone aware of what retail may be coming to the redeveloped south huntington corridor, serenity and the building at the corner of route 9a and s. huntington both have two spaces for retail and no action as far as anyone leasing.
35 S Huntington seems to position their retail space as restaurant space in their filing documents with the city, which makes sense given the placement of Wok N' Talk next door. I'd kill for a cafe there, to be honest.

Not sure about Serenity. To be honest, their space feels kind of awkwardly sited to me.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:20 AM   #3752
Mongo

Interesting article on the new Icon Theater in the seaport

http://www.wbur.org/artery/2017/12/3...theater-boston
Mongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:39 AM   #3753
SeamusMcFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenns15 View Post
Looks like this one is going to be a Brothers Marketplace concept, there are two of them currently in Medfield and Weston.

They are similar to the Roche Bros in downtown crossing with a bit of a more Whole Foods-esk feel, if that makes sense.
Not sure how I missed this.
Mixed feelings.

Personally don't like Roche Bros, and consider them overpriced to begin with, and this sounds like a more expensive boutique version thereof.

However, this seems like the right type of neighborhood for that...

So yay/boo!!
SeamusMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:46 AM   #3754
BostonMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongo View Post
Interesting article on the new Icon Theater in the seaport

http://www.wbur.org/artery/2017/12/3...theater-boston
They seem really excited about the heated seats. Maybe it's just me, but I don't get it. If the building is heated, why the need for the heated seats? It's not like getting into a car that has been sitting in freezing temperatures. Regardless, this seems like a nice addition for the seaport.
BostonMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 12:38 PM   #3755
BostonDrew

The new Hopsters in the Seaport is planning their opening today, even with the snow storm.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:13 PM   #3756
BosDevelop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike View Post
They seem really excited about the heated seats. Maybe it's just me, but I don't get it. If the building is heated, why the need for the heated seats? It's not like getting into a car that has been sitting in freezing temperatures. Regardless, this seems like a nice addition for the seaport.
Have you ever attended a movie with someone over the age of 50? Those folks can get cold regardless of the temperature (inside or outside)! I am continuously amazed by people who get cold regardless of how well buildings are heated. And that's true with air conditioning in the warmer months too. I suspect the heated seats will get quite a bit of use.
BosDevelop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 04:17 PM   #3757
palindrome

palindrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 06:08 PM   #3758
jl326

Quote:
Originally Posted by BosDevelop View Post
Have you ever attended a movie with someone over the age of 50? Those folks can get cold regardless of the temperature (inside or outside)! I am continuously amazed by people who get cold regardless of how well buildings are heated. And that's true with air conditioning in the warmer months too. I suspect the heated seats will get quite a bit of use.
FYI - The theater is now in its 'soft opening' phase since last week, meaning that they are open to public, but not all 10 theaters are active all at once yet. I'm assuming this is being done to bring the staff along through training and to address any technical issues. They are also going to slowly incorporate the latest box office openings into the schedule.

Anyways, as a development, it's a nice addition to the area and is a comfortable theater - good seats, sound, and screens. Perhaps the decor is still a bit sparse (likely addressed as time goes on). The best part is that it is geared towards adults as described in the WBUR article.
jl326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:53 PM   #3759
Lrfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrome View Post
January 18th is what I heard for a “certain” opening date. I use the quotes because this was originally to open in May. Then September. Then a very vague “fall,” then December, and now January 18th. So we will see. But that looks promising.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:20 PM   #3760
cjbski

Cardullo's (from Harvard Square) is opening a Boston located in the Seaport at 101 Seaport Blvd. Where is there open space in this building?

http://www.bostonherald.com/business...aport_location