archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Boston's Built Environment > Design a Better Boston

Design a Better Boston Are you disappointed with the state of Boston's current architecture/development? Think you have a better idea? Post it here.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:27 PM   #1401
citylover94

Re: Reasonable Transit Pitches

This is really a crazy transit pitch but considering how much of a problem capacity seems to be for the red line and since headways are limited by the Harvard curve would it make sense to look into expanding the stations to fit 8 car trains and would that add enough capacity to make much of a difference?
citylover94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:55 PM   #1402
bakgwailo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BussesAin'tTrains View Post
AFAIK, the new trains won't significantly increase capacity. Signal upgrades will help some and should, combined with the new cars, fix some of the chronic breakdowns. Still, the headways on the Red Line are governed by the Harvard curve; there's not a lot of frequency to add. The current problem is that trains are stuffed full by the time they get to Central during the rush. Some of that clears out at Kendall, but it's becoming laughable to call new housing along the Red Line northside "Transit Oriented Development", when said transit is at or beyond capacity during the rush. My point about the garage is that adding more rides to Alewife is unproductive without more capacity expansion and ridership spreading. Which gets out of "reasonable" transit pitch territory. Northside residential growth in Cambridge and beyond into the 'burbs, combined with pressures of the Rte 2 - Kendall commute is just too great.

The planned GLX will help some, by getting some Somerville bus-to-train riders off of the Red Line. Getting it to Mystic Valley Pkwy and directing some busses there from Arlington would also help.

The problem has to ultimately be thrown back to Crazy Transit Pitches... GLX from Union to Porter. Getting downtown (and some Back Bay) commuters off of the Red Line between Porter and Park would help Red's capacity problems in Cambridge a lot.
The MBTA predicts that the new rolling stock (full fleet replacement) will allow them to run 20 trains hour vs the current 13, which is a pretty big capacity upgrade.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 05:07 PM   #1403
BussesAin'tTrains

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakgwailo View Post
The MBTA predicts that the new rolling stock (full fleet replacement) will allow them to run 20 trains hour vs the current 13, which is a pretty big capacity upgrade.
On the Red? I guess I never realized that Red had capacity issues due to a shortage of trains. That's always been an Orange problem. 3 minute headways is 20trains/hr. Sometimes Red has 3min headways now. Maybe that's only on certain sections of the line, or is due to bunching, but that's about as tight as they can get with the Harvard Curve without backing up the system.

We'll see how it goes. I'm still skeptical that the existing T (particularly the Red between Harvard and Kendall) can handle all of the TOD (which I strongly support) without major capital projects.
BussesAin'tTrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:46 AM   #1404
citylover94

I don't think it is a shortage of trains for the red line I believe the issue is that the older trains stopping distance forces longer signal blocks which means less trains are able to run on the tracks. I think they are assuming that with new trains that brake better and an update to the signal system will give them the ability to run the additional trains.

Last edited by citylover94; 11-20-2017 at 11:04 AM.
citylover94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:29 AM   #1405
Arlington

^ That's my understanding. New trains will:
1) accelerate faster
2) stop faster
3) dwell shorter (thanks to 4 doors that are also bigger)

So it's a story where faster throughput increases capacity without need of increasing the fleet size or train length.
Old 11-20-2017, 01:01 PM   #1406
bakgwailo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington View Post
^ That's my understanding. New trains will:
1) accelerate faster
2) stop faster
3) dwell shorter (thanks to 4 doors that are also bigger)

So it's a story where faster throughput increases capacity without need of increasing the fleet size or train length.
Yup, and they even claimed that its a bigger increase than redoing the signal system on the Red, which I thought was pretty interesting.
bakgwailo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:00 PM   #1407
BussesAin'tTrains

Will be interesting to see how those predictions pan out. And whether the throughput increase is enough to keep up with ridership growth on the line in the coming years.
BussesAin'tTrains is offline   Reply With Quote