archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Outside Of Boston Metro > General Architecture & Urban Planning

General Architecture & Urban Planning All things architectural or urban in general, or withinin cities outside of Boston & Greater New England.

Old 09-23-2016, 10:14 AM   #1
AdamBC

Blame the Banks for Boring Chain Stores

Didn't think this should go into the Retail thread, as it's a national piece, but since I know that there's complaints about landlords leaving a storefront empty (ahem, Barnes and Noble space in Downtown Crossing), I found this article to be an interesting write-up of why landlords make that decision:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articl...ning-your-city
AdamBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:10 AM   #2
tysmith95

Re: Blame the Banks for Boring Chain Stores

I don't necessarily blame the banks. They're just trying to gain the most profit, it's what any corporation would do. I think that cities need to offer tax breaks to independent commercial spaces if they want vibrant cities with lots of small businesses.
tysmith95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 11:23 AM   #3
bigpicture7

Re: Blame the Banks for Boring Chain Stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysmith95 View Post
I don't necessarily blame the banks. They're just trying to gain the most profit, it's what any corporation would do. I think that cities need to offer tax breaks to independent commercial spaces if they want vibrant cities with lots of small businesses.
+1

Not every small piece of policy is communism, as some people think.
bigpicture7 is offline   Reply With Quote