archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Outside Of Boston Metro > Greater New England

Greater New England All things architectural or urban in Greater New England, beyond the boundaries of Boston Metro.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:22 PM   #21
Mark24

Re: Providence RIPTA Services

They will both be using the route between the train station and Kennedy Plaza. The intent is to give the train station every 5-6 minute service to Kennedy Plaza.

The new Amtrak and MBTA schedules will show nearly 40 round trips between the two cities.

Last edited by Mark24; 03-31-2016 at 10:43 PM.
Mark24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:51 AM   #22
Mark24

the following is a proposed fall change of service. it includes another line going into nearby Massachusetts. hopefully Gatra and Srta will start extending their services to meet up with Ripta service to provide a more regional transit system for the whole Providence metro area.

Route 32 (East Providence/Wampanoag): Two options are being considered for Routes 32 and 34. One option would be to merge the two routes into a single route with service every 45 minutes, resulting in the elimination of Route 32. The new combined Route 34 would travel to Providence via the Henderson Bridge, the East Side and the tunnel, as part of an East Side trunk route offering combined frequencies of every 11-12 minutes. The second option would be to preserve Routes 32 and 34, but redesign them as circulators within East Providence / Seekonk. Both scenarios could provide new limited access to Seekonk Square off Rte. 6 in Seekonk, MA.

Last edited by Mark24; 05-05-2016 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:59 PM   #23
Mark24

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tenwlrx0fi...=e&n=276181479

Seekonk has no transit service within its boundaries except for a short run by Gatra along Route 152 in the northern part of the city. This route takes it to Benefit Street in Pawtucket, R.I. RIPTA service hopefully this will be a new beginning of expanded transit service within Seekonk and reaching eastward toward Fall River.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:44 PM   #24
Arlington

How is the R Line bus doing? 10 min headways weekdays and 15 on weekends should have given it a nice ridership bump. Did it?
Old 07-28-2016, 03:01 PM   #25
F-Line to Dudley

http://www.providencejournal.com/new...-federal-grant

$13.1M fed grant announced for the new Pawtucket commuter rail station between Dexter and Conant. Needs more funding but this will finalize design, land acquisition of the disused P&W freight yard, and partial construction starts.
F-Line to Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 03:31 PM   #26
Arlington

Quote:
Originally Posted by F-Line to Dudley View Post
http://www.providencejournal.com/new...-federal-grant

$13.1M fed grant announced for the new Pawtucket commuter rail station between Dexter and Conant. Needs more funding but this will finalize design, land acquisition of the disused P&W freight yard, and partial construction starts.
Seems like a great project, well-situated in the "elbow" of I-95.
Application Docs look good too:
http://www.gcpvd.org/wp-content/uplo...pplication.pdf

Other than that it is two platforms and 4 tracks have they settled anything else? The schematics/sketches seem inconsistent with each other. Are they side-for-now-islands-in-future (like Rt 128) or is this to "thru" center tracks and two side tracks with outboard platforms?
Old 07-28-2016, 04:11 PM   #27
F-Line to Dudley

There's a public forum on the project this Wednesday (8/3) that should update things: http://projects.vhb.com/pawtucketcom...%20English.pdf

The most recent design under consideration are shown here, from the last set of public meetings: http://projects.vhb.com/pawtucketcom...esentation.pdf. 2 side platforms, 2 Amtrak passing tracks, and the P&W track to the side. Ability to convert the southbound platform sandwiched between the NEC and the freight track into an island platform for Woonsocket service if a freight gauntlet track were installed (though unlikely that extra track capacity will be needed unless the line went all the way to Worcester and had a nice fat schedule to boot). Anything can potentially change when they pin down exact siting. This prelim design is site-neutral and would still need to be refined.
F-Line to Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:09 PM   #28
Mark24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington View Post
Seems like a great project, well-situated in the "elbow" of I-95.
Application Docs look good too:
http://www.gcpvd.org/wp-content/uplo...pplication.pdf

Other than that it is two platforms and 4 tracks have they settled anything else? The schematics/sketches seem inconsistent with each other. Are they side-for-now-islands-in-future (like Rt 128) or is this to "thru" center tracks and two side tracks with outboard platforms?
2 middle tracks to facilitate Amtrak
Old 08-25-2016, 08:13 PM   #29
Mark24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlington View Post
How is the R Line bus doing? 10 min headways weekdays and 15 on weekends should have given it a nice ridership bump. Did it?
Those headways were all ready in place. It was the reduction of stops that has made it successful. North Main Street had 12 stops and now has 7. Runs are much quicker now.
Old 08-25-2016, 08:20 PM   #30
Mark24

Starting 9/3/16 RIPTA will provide service to Seekonk along Route 6 to Commerce Drivce (Shoppers Square) on the 32 and 34 routes
Old 08-30-2016, 09:21 AM   #31
Lrfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark24 View Post
Starting 9/3/16 RIPTA will provide service to Seekonk along Route 6 to Commerce Drivce (Shoppers Square) on the 32 and 34 routes
I'm not 100% sure how these contracts work, but Wouldn't that be an ideal location to extend SRTA from Fall River to create a RIPTA/SRTA transfer opportunity? I think that would be an excellent connection. I think GATRA serves Seekonk (the northern part), so it's probably impossible as Seekonk is GATRA territory. I wish it were easier to enable connections between the RTAs in this area. GATRA-SRTA-RIPTA would provide extensive regional coverage (RIPTA/GATRA have a connection, but SRTA covers a huge, highly populated chunk of the South Coast and doesn't touch either agency).
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:16 AM   #32
Mark24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrfox View Post
I'm not 100% sure how these contracts work, but Wouldn't that be an ideal location to extend SRTA from Fall River to create a RIPTA/SRTA transfer opportunity? I think that would be an excellent connection. I think GATRA serves Seekonk (the northern part), so it's probably impossible as Seekonk is GATRA territory. I wish it were easier to enable connections between the RTAs in this area. GATRA-SRTA-RIPTA would provide extensive regional coverage (RIPTA/GATRA have a connection, but SRTA covers a huge, highly populated chunk of the South Coast and doesn't touch either agency).
SRTA goes as far west as Swansea and the furthest out Route 6 is the Swansea Mall. Seekonk is all GATRA territory and I have talked to them . They have had no calls to extend service down Route 152 to the southern part of Seekonk toward Route 6. I should point out that the new RIPTA service to Shoppers Square does not allow pickup or drop off along Route 6 in Massachusetts. It is direct service from the R.I. line to Shoppers Square.
Old 09-16-2016, 11:01 PM   #33
Mark24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrfox View Post
well, technically SRTA and RIPTA do touch at least by towns served. RIPTA is in both Barrington and Warren and SRTA goes into Swansea. This also takes place between Fall River and Westport with Tiverton. Trolley's and trains used to offer local service and buses also did for a while. But it has been over 50 years since the loss of local transit service.