archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Outside Of Boston Metro > Greater New England

Greater New England All things architectural or urban in Greater New England, beyond the boundaries of Boston Metro.

Old 03-24-2016, 02:33 PM   #181
PortlandArch

Re: Portland Renderings

PortlandArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:36 PM   #182
markhb

Nice! I was working for Auto Europe when we did the Galt Block; it was quite the project and it's still quite the building inside. What's the photo with the numbered buildings, and where was that standalone 150' tower going to go, behind the police station?

Thanks for posting these!
Old 03-24-2016, 09:38 PM   #183
PortlandArch

Portlander can probably speak more to this but I believe the numbered buildings were part of a proposed development that included refurbishment of two existing structures (the Fore Street building and the former Hannaford distribution warehouse, now Memic), and also a planned commercial use for the block that is now the Portland Harbor Hotel (formerly a parking garage before the hotel was built).

The 150' standalone building dates to 2007 and was supposed to house legal firm Pierce Atwood, which eventually moved to the Cumberland Cold Storage building on Commercial Street. The offices would have been built as you suspected behind the police station, next to the courthouse, and would have also housed the offices of Cumberland County government.
PortlandArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:13 PM   #184
Sommarnatt

It's interesting to see the renderings of a super-sized building beside the Time and Temperature building given the recent news that the latter building is under foreclosure, with an occupancy rate of only 60%.
Sommarnatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:41 PM   #185
Patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommarnatt View Post
It's interesting to see the renderings of a super-sized building beside the Time and Temperature building given the recent news that the latter building is under foreclosure, with an occupancy rate of only 60%.
As I understand it, part of the reason for the supersize proposal was because the demands of office tenants had changed dramatically since the buildings were constructed, and demanded larger more open floorplates per story. This would have accomplished that by tying the two structures together as one as opposed to being a secondary unrelated structure.