archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Outside Of Boston Metro > General Architecture & Urban Planning

General Architecture & Urban Planning All things architectural or urban in general, or withinin cities outside of Boston & Greater New England.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:53 AM   #1
EdMc

An Early Affordable House

Founder, Alice Walton, daughter of Sam Walton of Walmart fame, has built the beautiful Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art in Bentonville, Arkansas, which opened in 2011.

Designed by Moshe Safdie

restaurant (no flash photography allowed)

On the floor are free mints to eat. They do look pretty as a carpet.

One jewel Ms. Walton has collected is a Usonian home, the 1954 Bachman-Wilson, that was disassembled at its original site in Somerset County, New Jersey, and reassembled on the Museum grounds, opening to the public in the fall of 2015.

I like Mr. Wright's placement of artistic adornment, or fretwork, on the upper windows.

Did you know (you probably did) that Frank Lloyd Wright, during the Great Depression, designed the Usonian homes to be affordable for the middle class? (Forgive the image quality.)

New York Times
Real Estate
August 18, 2017
"How to Sell a Frank Lloyd Wright House"

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/18/r...T.nav=top-news

Missed the tour

An illustrated guide to Frank Lloyd Wright
Get to know the architect’s signature buildings
BY KELSEY KEITH JUN 8, 2017, 8:18AM EDT
ILLUSTRATIONS BY JULIA ROTHMAN
"For Frank Lloyd Wright's 150th birthday, ..."
https://www.curbed.com/2017/6/8/1574...ide-best-works

The Museum is in the scenic Ozark Mountains and has several nature trails.

Bentonville downtown square and the Walton Museum, Walton's first five and dime. His first Walmart store is in neighboring Rogers, Arkansas.

Last edited by EdMc; 09-01-2017 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Aug 30, 2017, inserted link to curbed.com article about some of Wright's signature buildings.
EdMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 01:38 PM   #2
statler
Administrator

Re: An Early Affordable House

Like Alanis, I'm a little fuzzy on the true definition of ironic but I think one of the richest people in the world buying a Usonian house and making it a museum that nobody lives in might qualify?
statler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:44 PM   #3
Beton Brut

^ Quite so.

IIRC, Wright's Gordon House (in Oregon) bears some familial resemblance to the Bachman-Wilson House, the key difference being the orientation of the upstairs bedrooms.
Beton Brut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 09:44 PM   #4
lapradetom

I've heard about this Usonian/FLW home in Amherst, MA but hadn't seen it before, until I came upon this site. Hope other's enjoy it if they haven't seen this before. artfuse.org/1302941/fuse-visual-arts-feature-visitng-the-only-frank-lloyd-wright-building-in-ma/
lapradetom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 10:46 PM   #5
Beton Brut

The Baird House is an excellent early "in-line Usonian." Its a slightly larger version of the Goetsch-Winckler House in Okemos, MI. I'm pleased to know it's in good hands.
Beton Brut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:07 PM   #6
lapradetom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beton Brut View Post
The Baird House is an excellent early "in-line Usonian." Its a slightly larger version of the Goetsch-Winckler House in Okemos, MI. I'm pleased to know it's in good hands.
^Yes, very good news. (Sorry I couldn't post the actual link-I don't know how to do that) I doubt they offer tours, but I'd love to see the place if they did! ...I checked streetview on Google earth, but the house is not even visible from the street. That Artfuse piece "gets us inside", so that was even better. Very interesting read also. His quest for simplicity turned out to be anything but for the builders.
lapradetom is offline   Reply With Quote