archBOSTON.org

Go Back   archBOSTON.org > Outside Of Boston Metro > General Architecture & Urban Planning

General Architecture & Urban Planning All things architectural or urban in general, or withinin cities outside of Boston & Greater New England.

Old 04-23-2012, 03:12 AM   #1
kz1000ps

Send a message via AIM to kz1000ps
kz's random cities pics

As y'all may or may not be aware of, I'm in a band and we're out doing a lot of touring right now. I'm accumulating tons and tons of pictures and figure this would be a good way to share some of the random shit I've been seeing.

(Oh and hey--the Phoenix has my band, Gentlemen Hall, as a contender for Best Act 2012......head over to their page and vote!)

First up is Austin, TX:

We were of course there for SXSW:

This is what I see when I'm playing my drums:

Lots of random Texas.....

San Antonio:

Around Memphis:

Toronto:

The number of cranes on the skyline is redunkulous...they're literally everywhere:

Heading back for the states...

Virginia:

Philly:

New Yawk:

Indianapolis:

Pontiac, MI:

Chi-town:

Milwaukee:

Madison:

Louisville:

Old 04-23-2012, 08:55 AM   #2
Boston02124

Re: kz's random cities pics

very nice! Philly has some nice tower's but the rest ??? Milwaukee looks great as do some of the other cities thanks for shareing!
Boston02124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 10:13 AM   #3
vanshnookenraggen

Quote:
Daaaaaaaammmmmmmnnnn!
Old 04-23-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
Beton Brut

Nice stuff! I'd love that Schlitz sign for my back porch.
Beton Brut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
Patrick

What was your take on Indianapolis?
Old 04-23-2012, 06:09 PM   #6
Lrfox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
And Austin. I've never had a chance to go, but I've heard reviews from friends I trust ranging from "WAAAAYYY overrated" to "ZOMG COOLEST CITY EVER!!!"
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #7
kz1000ps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Well, I don't like the Colts so that colors my opinion somewhat, but besides that I haven't seen much to differentiate it from any of the other cities in that mid-Midwest region. The one thing I will note is how uniform its suburbs are--house colors range from beige to buff to tan...no exceptions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrfox View Post
And Austin. I've never had a chance to go, but I've heard reviews from friends I trust ranging from "WAAAAYYY overrated" to "ZOMG COOLEST CITY EVER!!!"
My opinion falls somewhere in the middle...it definitely is better than 95% of the Texas I've seen (I like the state more than I thought I would but there's soooo much highway-spurred sprawl)(meanwhile Dallas is my biggest "hey this place is actually pretty nice!" surprise) but I didn't fall head over heels in love with the place.

Also, I'm not sure how good a taste I got of Austin considering I was there during the musical carnival that is SXSW, where you can't walk two feet without tripping over a guitar or food truck (those get good reviews from me!). We stayed at a bed and breakfast on the edge of the metro and enjoyed a near-perfect country setting to retire to each night (see the first "random Texas" picture).....that side of Texas was quite charming, though I will say the humidity f***ing sucks down there.

One final note--there is an over abundance of limestone with a particularly yellow tint to it that seems to cover all new suburban commercial development. It certainly gives Austin's burbs a distinct look, which is refreshing for someone like me who spends a lot of time among the highway wastelands.
Old 04-23-2012, 11:32 PM   #8
Lrfox

^thanks!

I assumed that it probably falls somewhere in the middle.

I'm with you on Dallas. I went expecting to detest it and I was pleasantly surprised. Sure, it has the sprawling single-family neighborhoods close to downtown, but downtown and uptown were nice. Some of the neighborhood centers were alright too. Plano, just down the road had a great downtown.
Lrfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #9
underground

Love the Schlitz sign. I've never understood people's blanket hate for neon.
underground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:00 PM   #10
kz1000ps

People hate neon?? I thought its popularity has increased in recent years as nostalgia for its heyday has set in.