Thread: Open Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 12:30 PM   #4358
kz1000ps

Re: Open Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpicture7 View Post
This point resonates, though. It wasn't until a previous job took me on extensive travel to a lot of boring U.S. cities did I realize how special boston was. When I was in my 20s, I always thought boston was boring, small, went to bed early, etc. I took for granted that we had a world-class symphony, world-class art museum, very solid restaurant/bar scene. No, we're not NY, Chicago, LA....but beyond that, we're tops of the rest of them.
I've come to the same conclusion as well. I grew up in the gravitational pull of NYC so that's always been my standard for what a city should be, and during my 10 years in Boston I always thought it seemed small and sleepy. But then I started traveling and quickly realized Boston is in the top 97th percentile of places to live in the country, EASILY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyjug View Post
Spent a lot of happy times in Manhattan in the late 60's, early 70's. Place been whitewashed since. Some of change, it's good, some bad. Just like everything else.
Agreed, but the totality of said whitewashing is stunning. It's hard to care for a city that no longer cares about its history.

This gem? Fuggedaboutit

Now demo'd and to be replaced with characterless ooze