View Single Post
Old 01-02-2018, 12:38 PM   #3096
cneal

Re: Portland, ME - New Construction Continued

Could be L.L. Bean. They've long had having trouble recruiting and retaining creative workers with their suburban HQ in Freeport (it's not even in the village), although the new METRO Breez route might be helping them. Plus, their current HQ office building is pretty dingy.

Of course, locating headquarters offices is a lot different than relocating the entire business. I've heard that WEX is keeping a lot of back-office jobs in South Portland even after they move into their new building on the waterfront.

For similar reasons I find it hard to believe any big company is going to pay a premium for new offices on Thompson's Point. It's got many of the same issues with most suburban campuses it's pretty isolated, with no place nearby to get coffee or even for a regular lunch and no good bike or pedestrian connections to the rest of the city. These companies relocating downtown are relying on significantly higher rates of walk/bike/transit commuting among their workers in order to offset parking costs, but that's gonna be a tall order on Thompson's Point.
cneal is offline   Reply With Quote