PDA

View Full Version : The Other "P" City

castevens
05-31-2006, 09:30 PM
PROVIDENCE!!!

I live outside Providence in North Kingstown, Rhode Island. I love the city.

There are currently 2 big towers going up, one that will change the famous skyline significantly. All Rhode Islanders know the three big buildings in the middle, and anyone who has seen Family Guy has seen the skyline 40 times per episode in the background. The new building, One Ten Providence, will be far and away the tallest building in Providence.

The Westin next to the mall is also being built. This building will be taller than the other Westin tower, and the 4th tallest in Providence (including One Ten). Also being built are Waterplace 1 and 2, both within the top 12 in height.

Patrick
05-31-2006, 09:35 PM
this is a very exciting time for providence, which is probably the fastest growing city in New England. I have been watching those projects you spoke of develop over the past few years. What a cool city. I used to think it was trashy but the more i learn, the more i like.

garbribre
06-01-2006, 05:31 PM
castevens--I wanted to impress upon you to take and post some photos now that you are down Providence way.

Is The Living Room still there? Lupos? (Yeah, you're not of age, but you may know.)

I haven't really been to Providence in a few years. Looking forward to spending a few days there next time I'm east.

pinheaduck
06-01-2006, 05:42 PM
The Living Room is still open and Lupos has combined buildings with "The Strand" now known as "Diesel" dieselri.com

Definately a huge club/music venue with big names.... but is currently undergoing a court battle for the "violence" that occurs outside of the club.

To learn more about the projects and anything Providence related (pics, construction, etc.) check out urban planet.

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showforum=141

castevens
06-08-2006, 03:49 PM
I'm making Patrick live up to his promise of being "all ears" on Providence!

another tid-bit on the city: It holds a celebration called "Waterfire" on many weekends, during which they floating fires are set and gondolas ride across waterplace park in downtown Providence. Live music is usually performed.

http://www.waterfire.org/ is their website, try to visit if you can!

http://www.cs.brown.edu/people/psar/photos/Misc/Waterfire.JPG

http://www.providenceri.com/petergoldberg/waterfire-.jpg

http://www.owlmountain.com/photos/2003waterfire/waterfire-lg.jpg

http://www.brown.edu/Administration/Admission/images/photos/waterfire_tetto.jpg

Patrick
06-08-2006, 04:59 PM
well, to tell you the truth, I don't like big cities like boston or bigger. sure, they are very interesting to visit and admire from afar, but once youre in them, unless you were raised there, they become unmanageable..to me at least. part of the reason (besides cost) I chose to attend UMaine over suffolk, is because of the hassle associated with living in boston. in a place like portland, you get half the excitement of boston for one-quarter of the hassle. as an economics student, that is a wiser choice...that is, you get more bang for your buck. providence mjst be similar. you must get 3/4 the excitement and opportunities of boston for about half the hassle. and boston, in turn, is better than NYC because you get 90% of the excitement and opportunity (or more?) for about 10% of the hassle. therefore, my point with all of this is that, in my opinion, cities ranging in size from portland through hartford are my types of places, those are the municipalities in which i am VERY interested. also, new development need not be as large as the manino tower to make an impact. a 9-story office tower in portland is currently making waves..haha. so, with that long intro done, i say to you bring on any and all info about providence. first let me ask you a few questions so that i might get better aquainted with the city:

current population?

independent metro population (not the boston metro into which it is sometimes pulled)?

racial demographics?

student population?

neighborhood set up?

tallest completed building?

castevens
06-08-2006, 05:25 PM
current population?

178,126 in a 2004 MiniCensus. that is 1/6 the total population of the state of Rhode Island

independent metro population (not the boston metro into which it is sometimes pulled)?

621,602 - the total of all the cities and towns in Providence County, basically the metro area. personally I would add Warwick to Metro Providence, and take out Foster, Glochester and Cumberland, which basically makes the Metro population about the same, about 617,000.

From Wikipedia:
The 2000 US Census estimate for the metropolitan statistical area (MSA) including Providence, Fall River, Massachusetts, and Warwick was 1,188,613.

racial demographics?

From Wikipedia:
The racial makeup of the city was 54.53% Caucasian, 14.54% African American, 1.14% Native American, 6.01% Asian, 0.16% Pacific Islander, 17.55% from other races, and 6.08% from two or more races. 30.03% of the population were Hispanic or Latino Hispanic from any of the above categories.

student population?

from wikipedia:
* Brown University, an Ivy League university
* Rhode Island School of Design (RISD), one of the world's top art colleges
* Providence College, a Catholic school, one of the top master?s level colleges in the northeast United States
* Johnson and Wales University, notable for culinary program, considered one of the best such programs in the world
* Rhode Island College
* Community College of Rhode Island (Providence campus)
* University of Rhode Island (Providence campus).

According to my calculations (adding the student population of all the schools), there are 36,388 students in Providence

One of the best business schools in the country, Bryant University, Isn't very far away.

The total student population of these schools:

neighborhood set up?

East Providence has most of the nice neighborhoods, much like the back-bay area of Boston. The rest of Providence (south west area) is kinda crappy.

tallest completed building?

I like Providence's skyline. The tallest completed building is the Bank of America Building (formerly Fleet Building), which is 427 feet tall. Currently being built is One Ten Providence right behind the Bank of America Building, at 518 feet.

castevens
06-08-2006, 05:48 PM
Bank of America Building

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i52/castevens12/DSC_1764.jpg

castevens
06-08-2006, 05:49 PM
The building is also known as by the locals as the Superman Building, for its uncanny resemblance to the building used in the old Superman tv show as the Daily Planet headquarters.

Patrick
06-08-2006, 06:33 PM
So why are your own estimates of the metroploitan area so drastically different from the estimate on wikipedia? Are you thinking "greater" providence (greater boston, for example is all the communities inside 128, so im told, as opposed to metro boston, which stretches into RI, ME, and NH).

It must be closer to the wikipedia estimate, due to the size of buildings there, because portland, maine's metro area, as estimated on emporiscom is 622,000 people as of today.

and lastly, the reason for that uncanny resemblence of the superman building is because that in fact is the building in the old superman tv show. now i could be wrong, but my father told me that, and he is from boston, and is usually right about the rumors he passes on. anyone know for sure? i always thought it was...

castevens
06-08-2006, 06:36 PM
Wikipedia includes Fall River and maybe even New Bedford, two of the larger cities besides Boston, Worcester, and Springfield in Massachusetts. I did not include them as they are in a different state and about 15 minutes away, which I guess most cities would include them in the metropolitan area.

I guess I should include them too

castevens
06-08-2006, 06:38 PM
anyone know for sure?

I added a "Fact" on Emporis stating that it resembled the building, not that it was the building, after doing a little research. Many, many Rhode Islanders think it WAS the building, but I could find no definative evidence that it was in fact the building. All I'm looking for is like a screenshot from the TV show to tell whether it was the building or not. I couldn't find any.

AKA: I'm not sure.

Patrick
06-08-2006, 06:42 PM
Wikipedia includes Fall River and maybe even New Bedford, two of the larger cities besides Boston, Worcester, and Springfield in Massachusetts. I did not include them as they are in a different state and about 15 minutes away, which I guess most cities would include them in the metropolitan area.

I guess I should include them too

is it correct to assume that fall river and new bedford are, for the most part, bedroom communities (like nashua, NH)? i mean, they both have bigger populations than portland, but from what ive seen portland looks more developed. leading me to believe that they must be commuter towns...? if so, would they commute to Prov or Bos? thats how i would determine their inclusion. ill look around for info on the superman building. how do you get to be an editor on emporis, cause i have tons of old pics of portland developments and proposals that are not on that site..

castevens
06-08-2006, 06:47 PM
You must apply to become a photographer first, then apply to become an editor (I would suggest waiting at least 6 months so they take you seriously when you apply to become an editor). Send me the pictures that you're thinking of using in your application before you apply, because the pics are some of the most important factors in the application process. Or better yet, send me to a site with all/most of your pics and I'll tell you which are most likely to get you in. (They HATE white/gray backgrounds)

Also, you must at least put SOME effort into the writing part. Write a paragraph for each thing, not just a sentence.

castevens
06-08-2006, 06:50 PM
Oh, and concerning the first part, you make a very good point concerning Fall River and New Bedford. They don't have a real down-town area, and very few jobs considering the population. I don't have ANY statistics to support this, but I would say that it is probably more-or-less split between Boston and Providence.

On the one hand, it is VERY close to Providence. On the other hand, they are both very close to Rt. 24, which takes you right up to rt. 93 into Boston. And more and more people are moving to the Rhode Island border (in and outside Rhode Island) and working in Boston.

I would tend to think it's leaning toward Providence, but I wouldn't be suprised if theres a significant number of Boston workers residing in New Bedford and Fall River. an hour is a killer commute though.

Patrick
06-08-2006, 06:58 PM
Oh, and concerning the first part, you make a very good point concerning Fall River and New Bedford. They don't have a real down-town area, and very few jobs considering the population. I don't have ANY statistics to support this, but I would say that it is probably more-or-less split between Boston and Providence.

On the one hand, it is VERY close to Providence. On the other hand, they are both very close to Rt. 24, which takes you right up to rt. 93 into Boston. And more and more people are moving to the Rhode Island border (in and outside Rhode Island) and working in Boston.

I would tend to think it's leaning toward Providence, but I wouldn't be suprised if theres a significant number of Boston workers residing in New Bedford and Fall River. an hour is a killer commute though.

let me pull together some of my photos, and then ill sned them to you in a linked page. also, an hour certainly is a killer commute, but my mother was almost enticed to make the commute from portland to boston, something not unheard oh around here for medical professionals...i would include FR and NB in prov metro the way you described it. that adds another quarter million right?

Patrick
06-08-2006, 07:02 PM
oh and i should add that the pics i was referring to earlier are renderings...which might pose a copyright boundary..but i got them all off of the internet, free of charge, so they were made available to the public in the newspaper, if that would make a diff.

also, i am going out to take some pics of portland tonight. if you are on later tonight i may have some of them on here. i have so much time on my hands...

castevens
06-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Fall River (91,938) + New Bedford (93,768) = 185,706

+ Bristol County (closer to Prov. Than FR and NB, not included in my first set of numbers) 50,648 = 236,354

+ surrounding areas in MA to the north such as attleboro (about 50,000) = 286,354

+ my original estimate (621,602) = 907956

They must still be including more than me. But I really only included areas that you can get to Providence in less than 15 minutes. I'm sure the metro area extends beyond that. Us in Rhode Island have a bad sense of what's far. 20 minutes is too far for me. Anyway, I can totally see where the 1.2 million number comes from

castevens
06-08-2006, 07:11 PM
oh and i should add that the pics i was referring to earlier are renderings..

You're talking about to get into Emporis, right? While you're welcome to upload renderings once you're part of the team, the application photos must be your own. If you're taking night shots, it is very easy to impress us with night shots at Emporis (my highest rated photos are my night shots). Just use a tripod and try to get longer exposures.

I should be on later tonight :)

castevens
06-08-2006, 07:20 PM
Also, try to get pictures of specific buildings, preferably the taller ones. And fill the picture with the building, don't make the building some little thing with mostly sky around it. For reference, my highest rated photo on emporis is this:

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i52/castevens12/DSC_00591.jpg

Obviously, that was a beautiful night and all, so it doesn't have to be perfect picture, becuase I have had much worse get accepted. But we assume you're giving us your best when you apply.

Keep the sky blue if it is daytime. the building must be in the center and looking straight up (this isn't an artistic site, it's for records of buildings), and so on. Blah blah blah, you'll do fine.

The bigger the file = the better

I wish I could show you some of the crap people send us though, and I was going to show you what an applicant sent, but all three applications pending on the site are set to be accepted (over 50% of the votes positive (for editors it is 70%) and keep in mind the people there are BIG critics, the perfect candidate will end up with 80%).

Patrick
06-08-2006, 07:47 PM
well, my older shots of buildings are mostly exactly as you described (centered, close ups, and straight up and down) but they were taken with a lower quality camera (3.2 mp as opposed to my current 6 MP). I will send them to you anyhow i guess, and tonight i will be taking night shots, but without a tripod.....well see how they turn out....

might be too dark now anyways..i should stay in but what the heck im headed out now.

11-ish at the latest.

ps some of the portland building shots are terrible! (on emporis i mean)

and that pic you posted above is my background, i stole it from the new development thread where you originally posted it, but it is larger and has 111 huntington ave in it as well...nice work

Patrick
06-08-2006, 10:09 PM
well I am going to post the results of my photo-taking adventure tonight in about 3 minutes. many of them came out blurry so i will only post the ones which did not and maybe one or two of the ones where i think the blur added some effect. i didnt get to take shots of individual buildings because i was pressed for time and could not go downtown. i will take some for you to have a look at on another occasion. i need to buy a tri-pod quickly before summer passes me by and it is shitty outside again. oh wait it is shitty outside. haha take a look at my shots. they will me in the "metro-scenes" thread...

castevens
06-08-2006, 10:21 PM
Yeah, the tripod was one of the best investments for me, because any crappy 2 dollar one-time-use camera can take a good night shot, as long as it stays still. Imagine what a Nikon D70 can do with a tripod.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i52/castevens12/48c30f69.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i52/castevens12/85660575.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i52/castevens12/084509ab.jpg

You can request an application from Emporis whenever you want (Just go to the site of a building that doesnt have a picture and click on "how to become a photgrapher" i think, or something like that). I believe you have 14 days to complete the application

The fact that there are a lot of crappy pictures of Maine in there helps you out, because we're sick of Chicago people applying, there's like 500 photographers in Chicago. We need people in places like Portland.

And if this is the picture that is your background, it's my background too

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i52/castevens12/13d5a9c4.jpg

castevens
06-08-2006, 10:23 PM
And back on subject, Providence: There is a skating rink in Downtown Kennedy Plaza which is supposedly 3 times the size of the most famous outdoor skating rink in New York City (Rockefeller Center):

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i52/castevens12/DSC_0911.jpg

Patrick
06-08-2006, 10:49 PM
And back on subject, Providence: There is a skating rink in Downtown Kennedy Plaza which is supposedly 3 times the size of the most famous outdoor skating rink in New York City (Rockefeller Center):

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i52/castevens12/DSC_0911.jpg

I highjack threads quite frequently with info about portland, so i pledge not to do that here. however, i have to mention that in the movie "the preacher's wife" the scene in which denzel washington is ice skating is filmed in our downtown-ish park, with a shot where you can see our second tallest in the background. that last pic you posted of providence is spectacular. and those pics you posted of boston are beyond words....they are so crisp and clear i love them. you said you used a nikkon D70 or something? what is that? i just bought a SONY Cyber Shot with 6 megapixels. how does that compare to the cam you used in those boston shots? im still figuring it out. i paid $400 but i saw some that went up past $1,000

castevens
06-09-2006, 06:41 AM
I have 2 cameras: A Nikon D70 (semi-professional camera) and a Canon Powershot A95 (point-and-shoot camera, aka small). The Canon is for when I dont want to lug out all the equiptment and everything, I just want to walk around and enjoy myself. The Nikon is for when I actually want to take a good picture.

Most Nikon owners would never have a Canon, and vise versa. They are considered by many to be two of the best makes of cameras. But they are like enemys to each other. It's like owning a Corvette and a Mustang. Although only one of my cameras is professional, so it's like, for me, owning a Corvette and a Ford Focus :)

I will write more (in terms of the comparison to your camera and such) after I get back from work, but I need to leave soon.

For the time being, here's a picture of both of mine:

http://www.coolhunting.com/mt/archives/angledview.jpg
http://www.livingroom.org.au/photolog/archives/nikon_d70.jpg
http://www.audiotronic.ca/items/CAN/CAN_A95.jpg
http://img2.pcpop.com/ProductImages/Original/0/29/000029246.jpg

And funny you should compliment the clarity and sharpness, as most of my original file sizes are 8-12 megabytes, and those that you see are on photobucket as like 100 kilobyte pictures or something (.1 MB). But thank you![/img]

Patrick
06-09-2006, 02:32 PM
i just gave away my point and shoot cam to myt girlfriends (whos cam broke) and so now all i have is the lugg-around. i went out to best-buy today to check out tri-pods and i noticed a Nikon d70 and then an even better nikon which went for $1,599.00 pretty insane. i felt like my camera was a piece of shit after i left. i also noticed that sony made a better version of the camera i bought for only $100 more. it had a better and bigger LCD screen and better zoom and 8 megapixels as opposed to 6 megapixels. speaking of, is 6 megapixels decent or is it shitty? i thought my old camera was shitty at 3.2 megapixels, but now even 6 megapixels looks bad in comparison to 8 or more MP. what is the diff between professional, semi-professional, and non professional?

castevens
06-09-2006, 03:26 PM
speaking of, is 6 megapixels decent or is it shitty?

OK, here is my thoughts on megapixels. You need at least 3 Megapixels to be able to call what you are holding a "camera." Anything below that sucks. From 3 megapixels to 5 megapixels (As long as all, or at least most, of the pixels are 'effective pixels'), there is a slight improvement, but both a 3 and a 5 will be able to fill up the entire screen of your computer. anything over 5 megapixels (in my opionion, of course), is unnecessary unless you like to print out huge posters or have a big high definition computer moniter (and even then, a 5 megapixel camera will give an image that fills most of the pixels if not all).

Semi-professional, in my definition, is a professional camera that no profession would ever use. Like a low-end professional. One that a real profession photographer would just use as a secondary camera, or to train on things such as aperture, which you just learned about in the General Forum, and such things.

castevens
06-09-2006, 03:34 PM
My D70 was pretty damn expensive when I bought it way back when it came out. Keep in mind, you're only buying an instrument that records what the lens sees. I'd rather have a bad camera and a set of insanely good lenses than vice versa. If the "bad" camera can at least capture an image alright, it will capture a damn good image. But if the awesome camera has a bad lens, it is impossible for that camera to capture a good image.

Also, besides lenses, I have invested in a remote control (great for night shots, the little movement caused by me pushing the shutter button can cause blurriness), a flash set, a 1GB CF card, many, many filters... the camera was only the beginning of my purchases.

I'm going to be away for the weekend (just saturday and sunday) at my girlfriend's place. If you want to apply to Emporis today, I can help you out. If not, you can (of course) do it without me, or wait until monday!

Patrick
06-09-2006, 04:00 PM
My D70 was pretty damn expensive when I bought it way back when it came out. Keep in mind, you're only buying an instrument that records what the lens sees. I'd rather have a bad camera and a set of insanely good lenses than vice versa. If the "bad" camera can at least capture an image alright, it will capture a damn good image. But if the awesome camera has a bad lens, it is impossible for that camera to capture a good image.

Also, besides lenses, I have invested in a remote control (great for night shots, the little movement caused by me pushing the shutter button can cause blurriness), a flash set, a 1GB CF card, many, many filters... the camera was only the beginning of my purchases.

I'm going to be away for the weekend (just saturday and sunday) at my girlfriend's place. If you want to apply to Emporis today, I can help you out. If not, you can (of course) do it without me, or wait until monday!

ah thanks for the info...what is a filter in the sense you used it? shows how much i know about cams. going out right now to purchase a tripod because my night shots were disappointing last night.

i will wait until later in next week, and i will likely ask you for assistance, so i can pick and choose some good shots...thanks for the advice/help.

p.s. did you mention where youre girlfriend went to undergrad? i was just browising stats for SU Law and the average grade point average was 3.3 and the average lsat scroe was 157. this means that since both scores are weighted approximately equally (give or take slightly at some schools) she can afford to do worse than 157 on the lsat because her gpa is significantly above a 3.3, 150 is average, and competitive doesnt start until 160 (for top schools) so she shouldnt worry as long as attending a place like suffolk would be acceptable. its in a good location and it is a brand new tech advanced building. id have her seriously take a look at it, just to get the anxiety out of the way once she knows shes accepted at least somewhere. also, tell her to tour NU law and get to know the admissions staff because they are good at remembering names.

castevens
06-09-2006, 04:16 PM
She started her undergrad a UMass Dartmouth and is finishing it up at Northeastern. Upon graduation, she will have only spent 2 years at NU.

Btw, seriously, try that "mouse" shot idea that I listed out step-by-step in the other thread once you get that tripod. Experiment, it'll make you get to know how cameras work

castevens
06-09-2006, 04:34 PM
And to answer your filter question:

YOU NEED A U.V. FILTER!!!

I repeat: YOU NEED A U.V. FILTER!!!!!!

The U.V. (ultraviolet) filters do very little-to-nothing in terms of the outcome of the picture. But they are insurance. You see, its a pretty-much clear filter that goes on the outside of your lens, and it's a cheap line of defense for fingers, rocks, smudges, water, and so on. I buy a UV filter, eventually scratch it or something, and then buy a new one. But trust me, I am SMILING when I'm dishing out 20 dollars for a new UV filter, because I could have been easily emptying my pocket for a new LENS had that filter not been there.

I also have a line of polarizing filters, bring out deep blues (i used it in that shot of the Pru), and does cool stuff with the water and reflections.

I have star-filters. These filters are good for long exposures and beam out light in a 4-point, 5-point, 6-point, 8-point, or so on, star. Like so:

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i52/castevens12/35e322dd.jpg

I also have a yellow filter. This applys a yellow tint to everything I take a picture of. It is good for nighttime shots of cityscapes, as it brings out the yellow and makes the dark things lighter. Here are the originals of my night-time B&W shots:

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i52/castevens12/DSC_1131.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i52/castevens12/85660575.jpg

castevens
06-09-2006, 04:54 PM
I also have a set of three close-up filters that allow me to take these pictures:

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i52/castevens12/DSC_1162.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i52/castevens12/DSC_2145.jpg

Patrick
06-09-2006, 07:08 PM
wow, looks like i have a lot to learn. just got my tripod today...its crappy. but it will do i suppose. i frequently get rain splettered on my lens (not tons of it, just a streak here and there) does that make me a dumbass...that is, have i already begun to wreck my cam?

Smuttynose
06-09-2006, 10:56 PM
^ Ha, I hope not. That happens to me all the time. I think as long as you wipe it carefully with a felt wipe you should be okay.

pinheaduck
06-10-2006, 03:30 PM
three condo projects under construction in Providence now..

http://www.liveatwaterplace.com/
http://www.onetenprov.com/
http://www.livingatthewestin.com/index-westin.html

castevens
06-13-2006, 05:53 PM
The footprint of One Ten Prov has been cleared (aka they knocked down a bunch of buildings) and it looks like construction could begin any day.

castevens
06-13-2006, 06:09 PM
Hmm, I just went back to see what kind of camera you had so I could suggest remote controls in the other thread, and I didn't realize you had a Sony Cybershot. For some reason I thought you had a SLR camera (Single Lens Reflex, or removable lens).

I'm not sure if lens filters are available for point-and-shoots, or remotes for that matter.

Patrick
06-13-2006, 06:50 PM
i didnt think i had a point and shoot camera. it is quite large and has a lens that sticks out when i turn it on...and it is capable of attaching a more advanced lens if needed...

castevens
06-13-2006, 07:48 PM
Ahh yes, it's halfway in between a point-and-shoot and a DSLR. You can ADD lenses, but you can't remove the base lens?

I had one of those a long time ago, my first digital camera. A Fujifilm Finepix s5000z

GREAT cameras to learn the ways of the DSLRs

Patrick
06-13-2006, 08:31 PM
oh ok i was worried there for a second that I was duped into buying a $400 piece of shit. what does dslr stand for? I thought point and shoots were smaller, like my old kodak mini camera that i bought for $90 a year ago.

castevens
06-13-2006, 09:04 PM
I categorize point-and-shoot as pretty much anything that's not a DSLR. But I could be wrong on that, although I'm not sure what you'd call the line of cameras like yours that is in between DSLR and P-A-S.

DSLR is the new-age version of SLR, which is Single Lens Reflex

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-lens_reflex_camera

DSLR is just DIGITAL Single Lens Reflex.

castevens
06-13-2006, 09:07 PM
After looking it up, they call the line of cameras inbetween PAS and SLR "SLR-like" cameras

They look like SLRs and funtion like them, but you cannot remove the base lens, and zooming is sometimes forced automatic

Patrick
06-13-2006, 10:41 PM
After looking it up, they call the line of cameras inbetween PAS and SLR "SLR-like" cameras

They look like SLRs and funtion like them, but you cannot remove the base lens, and zooming is sometimes forced automatic

you mean as opposed to twisting the lens with your hand? mine is automatic zoom, i was kinda looking for one that i could play with around with the lens on with my own hands, but it doesnt bother me all that much...i think i should be able to do that though if i get an attachable wide angle lens or something, which i plan to do when i can afford it. so can DSLRs still take pics when the long lens is removed?

Patrick
06-13-2006, 11:46 PM
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=DSCH2&CategoryName=dcc_DIDigitalCameras_style_fullfeatur ed&DCMP=OVERTUREPI_DF&HQS=DSCH2

the above link will take you to my camera....which incidentally just went on sale....30 bucks off :x ....

http://www.idg.es/BBDD_IMAGEN/DSC-H2_R_FLASH.JPG

castevens
06-14-2006, 05:02 AM
you mean as opposed to twisting the lens with your hand?

Yes

And this is what my camera looks like with the lens removed:

(removed image because it was unnecessarily big)

No, you can't take pictures without the lens on.

castevens
06-16-2006, 05:26 PM
Patrick: I see your application on the editor site. You have the best percentage I have ever seen a non-existing photographer have on Emporis to try to become an editor (57% approval) but that's not enough to become an editor. Unless you get up to 75% soon (to be perfectly honest, not very likely), you will not be admitted. I, of course, voted yes.

I suggest you try to become a photographer first (If you want me to copy your words from the application and email them to you to re-apply). You will definately get that position. One of the main things hurting you right now is the whiteness in the background. They looooooove deep blue backgrounds (like the construction photo you submitted) and they haaaaaaaate white backgrounds.

Sorry if I come off as being mean, but I'm genuinely just trying to help. We'll see if people turn it around and vote you in. To be absolutely honest, I've never seen an application for editor where the person was not already a photographer, and that person having more than 50% approval.

castevens
06-16-2006, 07:44 PM
They're getting meaner, down to 53%

Patrick
06-16-2006, 08:52 PM
Patrick: I see your application on the editor site. You have the best percentage I have ever seen a non-existing photographer have on Emporis to try to become an editor (57% approval) but that's not enough to become an editor. Unless you get up to 75% soon (to be perfectly honest, not very likely), you will not be admitted. I, of course, voted yes.

I suggest you try to become a photographer first (If you want me to copy your words from the application and email them to you to re-apply). You will definately get that position. One of the main things hurting you right now is the whiteness in the background. They looooooove deep blue backgrounds (like the construction photo you submitted) and they haaaaaaaate white backgrounds.

Sorry if I come off as being mean, but I'm genuinely just trying to help. We'll see if people turn it around and vote you in. To be absolutely honest, I've never seen an application for editor where the person was not already a photographer, and that person having more than 50% approval.

It is funny you bring this up. I tried applying as a photographer, but then I didn't have enough building pics with my new and improved camera, so I decided last minute not to submit my application. I waited a day or so and then I re-applied, this time as an editor thinking I wouldn't need to submit photographs to be accepted. But I was wrong so rather than wasting my time again I tried to submit what I thought would be "good enough" just to become an editor (which I thought was easier than becoming a photographer)...but then the strangest thing happened. Emporis told me I could use a link to check on the preliminary votes on my application, but when I followed the link the page told me that I had submitted an incomplete application and that I needed to re-apply....so I figured I goofed again and that was that. To even hear you say it is being voted on at all makes me happy and glad that I didn't waste my time.

I guess I will have to re-apply as a photographer after I take some better pics. Right now most of my pics with my new cam are of the city, not individual buildings. Ill have to get to work on that. If you could please copy and paste my words, that would be a help, but if you dont get around to it I'm sure it wont be too big of a loss to me, i could always simply re-write it again, which wouldnt take too too long. pvenne@zoo.uvm.edu and like i said if its a hassle for you dont worry about it, i have no problem re-writing everything..and thanks for your vote!

castevens
06-17-2006, 07:46 AM
I don't know why they even allow non-Emporis members to apply to become editors straight out. I've seen many, many qualified people get shot down, and you're one of them. These people probably have a superiority complex and are trying to show (prove) they are "better" than you in their minds. I myself vote for many of the editor applications.

And like I said, you have one of the highest (if not THE highest) percentage of an "outsider" applying to become an editor. Don't be frustrated

Patrick
06-17-2006, 10:00 AM
try, try, and try again...I guess it would have been easier if I began as a photographer, that is what my next move will be. thanks for your help.

castevens
09-24-2006, 01:33 PM
Try and try again!!! You'll definately make photographer, all you need are blue skies!

Patrick
09-25-2006, 11:50 AM
I ran into an interesting stat on prov the other day: it is the nation's 34th largest metropolitan area. Not bad.

On another, unrelated, but statistical, note, I also found out that Portland, Maine is home to the largest Sudanese community in the country.