PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite bands!

castevens
05-31-2006, 09:25 PM
I'm going to see Dave Matthews at Fenway in early July, and I'm excited. I'm not your typical crazy Dave fan (this is my first DMB concert), but I am really a fan of his music. I like the late 90's lightish rock like Matchbox 20 and Goo Goo Dolls and such too.

Hows about yous fellas?

TGSwimFly
05-31-2006, 09:40 PM
I'm partial to Snow Patrol lately...

I really like their latest album, eyes open.

budman3
05-31-2006, 09:44 PM
Matchbox 20, Goo Goo Dolls, and Third Eye Blind (to an extent) saved the late 90's. Good enough lyrics and soul, and great rhythm and music.

My favorite band of my generation is probably Radiohead. The Bends and OK Computer have been staples in my car for as long as I can remember. Smashing Pumpkins come in for a close second. Both consistently awesome bands that come up with revolutionary stuff consistently. Oasis failed me after Whats The Story (Morninglory) but where great enough to be noticed.

Right now though, I have Broken Social Scene in my car. It's an amazing CD by a band of many multitalented artists who have great indie accomplishments in their own right.

I know, driving my own car and pursuing an urban existence is blasphemy when public transit is everywhere, but a built in CD player and soundproof cabin is one perk I do enjoy about sitting in traffic.

budman3
05-31-2006, 09:45 PM

Is that the CD with "Chasing Cars" on it?

castevens
05-31-2006, 09:46 PM
I pretty much forgot how to drive a car after living in the city for a few years without one. I'm now at home in RI driving to and from work every day, and it was actually kind of scary the first couple of times. Well, the other thing is that I had always driven a car, and this time around I have an RAV-4, like a mini-SUV (muuuuch higher off the ground than my old Camry though)

kz1000ps
05-31-2006, 10:17 PM
Jazz anyone?

Herbie Hancock, Chick Corea, Michael Brecker, Al Jarreau, John Scofield, Stan Getz/ Antonio Gilberto, Buddy Rich

Older rock?

STEELY DAN, Frank Zappa, the Police, Santana, ELP, Talking Heads, James Taylor, Eric Clapton, Rush

funk/soul?

James Brown, Roy Ayers, George Clinton, Earth Wind & Fire, Soulive, Prince, Grover Washington Jr.

Newer stuff

Radiohead, A Perfect Circle, Outkast, Kudu, Gov't Mule, Topaz, Sunlightsquare, Ben Folds, Jamiroquai

Patrick
05-31-2006, 11:11 PM
I'm going to see Dave Matthews at Fenway in early July, and I'm excited. I'm not your typical crazy Dave fan (this is my first DMB concert), but I am really a fan of his music. I like the late 90's lightish rock like Matchbox 20 and Goo Goo Dolls and such too.

Hows about yous fellas?

DMB had a song i really liked when i was younger: sattellite. brings back many many memories of being in middle school. I really like a lot of music, but i usually listen to hip-hop for the most part, although i appreciate all types. I like opera, especially andrea boccelli. i like moonlight sonata, though im not sure which classical composer i should attribute its beauty to (Mozart?). and other than that i likefiddy, nas, luda, NBK, latoya london, lil zane, tupac, biggie etc..call me a wigger but i grew up surrounded by them and i am a product of my environment 8)

TGSwimFly
06-01-2006, 05:20 AM

Is that the CD with "Chasing Cars" on it?

Yup. I think it's a much better album than Final Straw, but that was okay.

TheBostonian
06-01-2006, 06:04 AM
Pasted from my myspace profile:

Billy Joel, Cowboy Mouth, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Jesse Malin, Pearl Jam, The Samples, Crooked Fingers, Nanci Griffith, John Gorka, Cat Stevens, John Prine, Dar Williams, Counting Crows, The Streets, John Mellencamp, Bruce Cockburn, Rufus Wainwright, Ryan Adams, Bright Eyes, Marc Cohn, Bruce Springsteen, Jimmy Buffett, October Project, The Innocence Mission

castevens
06-01-2006, 06:07 AM
i like moonlight sonata, though im not sure which classical composer i should attribute its beauty to (Mozart?)

Beethoven. Always been my dream to play this song half the real speed. I can pluck the notes at about 1/1000th the speed.

statler
06-01-2006, 06:40 AM
Pasted from my myspace profile:

Billy Joel, Cowboy Mouth, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Jesse Malin, Pearl Jam, The Samples, Crooked Fingers, Nanci Griffith, John Gorka, Cat Stevens, John Prine, Dar Williams, Counting Crows, The Streets, John Mellencamp, Bruce Cockburn, Rufus Wainwright, Ryan Adams, Bright Eyes, Marc Cohn, Bruce Springsteen, Jimmy Buffett, October Project, The Innocence Mission
You, my friend, have fantastically good taste in music. (I can even forgive putting Jimmy Buffett on that list.)

castevens
06-01-2006, 06:43 AM
To be honest, I've never heard anything of Rufus Wainwright outside of Hallelujiah

statler
06-01-2006, 06:49 AM
Oh, you check out his work. Great stuff. 8)
In addition to the names I've highlighted, I'll also add Ben Folds. Probably my current favorite artist.

bowesst
06-01-2006, 08:15 AM
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/8503/untitled4uv1.jpg

statler
06-01-2006, 09:11 AM
^^ Man, I love the Monkees!

:wink:

LeTaureau
06-01-2006, 09:20 AM
I'm very much a nineties guy. I like modern rock and pop rock (don't confuse pop rock with popular rock). Here are some of my favorites:

Luna, Yo La Tengo, The Magnetic Fields, Air, Stereolab, Spoon, The Pixies, Pearl Jam, Flaming Lips, Ladytron

Roxxma
06-01-2006, 10:20 AM
For me, Elliott Smith's music is about the closest thing to God I have ever known, but he wasn't a band.. In no particular order: Radiohead, Heatmiser (E. Smith's old band), Portishead, REM, the Mamas and the Papas, The Pixies (their drummer is from my hometown and was friends with my older brother), Blondie, Garbage, Grandaddy, Mission of Burma, Moloko, Stereolab, Air, The B-52s, The Shins, The Go-Gos and many more.. Solo artists: Mary Lou Lord, Neil Young, Jeff Buckley, Carole King.. There's more, but I can't think of them now..

statler
06-01-2006, 11:10 AM
For me, Elliott Smith's music is about the closest thing to God I have ever known, but he wasn't a band.. In no particular order: Radiohead, Heatmiser (E. Smith's old band), Portishead, REM, the Mamas and the Papas, The Pixies (their drummer is from my hometown and was friends with my older brother), Blondie, Garbage, Grandaddy, Mission of Burma, Moloko, Stereolab, Air, The B-52s, The Shins, The Go-Gos and many more.. Solo artists: Mary Lou Lord, Neil Young, Jeff Buckley, Carole King.. There's more, but I can't think of them now..

Another forumer with good taste.*

Add Elliott & Jeff to my list as well. Also add Matthew Sweet. And Ani Difranco. And Aimee Mann. And Johnny Cash.

*Good taste = taste that is equal to my own. :)

budman3
06-01-2006, 05:19 PM
Rufus Wainright did an amazing cover of "Across The Universe" by The Beatles and a really mediocre cover of "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley oddly enough (even though I think Jeff Buckley too covered "Hallelujah", but before Rufus Wainright).

I'm sure we can connect them all to Kevin Bacon some way or another...

Roxxma
06-01-2006, 09:56 PM
Rufus Wainright did an amazing cover of "Across The Universe" by The Beatles and a really mediocre cover of "Hallelujah" by Jeff Buckley oddly enough (even though I think Jeff Buckley too covered "Hallelujah", but before Rufus Wainright).

We can connect them both to Leonard Cohen for sure, as he wrote and first recorded "Hallelujah".

Benhamin
06-01-2006, 11:04 PM
Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, STP, Alice in Chains, Tool, Van Halen, Clapton, SOAD, Rush, Pantera, Ozzy, old Metallica, way too many to list right now.

As you can see my base is rock, but I like everything but country. Can't stand that shit.

TheBostonian
06-02-2006, 07:37 AM
I like all music, except for rap, opera, country, bluegrass, jazz, dance, techno, folk, swing, big band, heavy metal, R & B, new age, and adult contemporary.

statler
06-02-2006, 09:49 AM
I like everything but country. Can't stand that shit.

http://www.londonist.com/attachments/Rob/johnny-cash.jpg

Joking! :lol:
That's Johnny Cash BTW.

statler
06-02-2006, 11:03 AM
I like all music, except for rap, opera, country, bluegrass, jazz, dance, techno, folk, swing, big band, heavy metal, R & B, new age, and adult contemporary.
You like J-Pop too? I love that shit! :)

budman3
06-02-2006, 02:00 PM

We can connect them both to Leonard Cohen for sure, as he wrote and first recorded "Hallelujah".

I knew it! When I heard Jeff Buckleys version I was positive I'd heard it before and knew he covered it, just wasn't sure who originally did it. But I knew he had redone it before Rufus Wainright did.

Corey
06-02-2006, 03:52 PM
Beatles
Beatles
Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Nirvana
Weezer
Foo Fighters (live in boston, acoustic show august 22nd)
REM
As Fast As
Etc

Patrick
06-02-2006, 04:01 PM
Beatles
Beatles
Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Nirvana
Weezer
Foo Fighters (live in boston, acoustic show august 22nd)
REM
As Fast As
Etc

excellent

statler
06-02-2006, 05:44 PM

Damn! Everybody but Jeff Buckley.

Rufus Wainwright has a Bacon number of 2.

Rufus Wainwright was in Aviator, The (2004) with John C. Reilly (I)
John C. Reilly (I) was in River Wild, The (1994) with Kevin Bacon
____

The Beatles has a Bacon number of 3.

The Beatles was in Rey en Londres, El (1966) with Dirk Bogarde
Dirk Bogarde was in Vision, The (1987) with Helena Bonham Carter
Helena Bonham Carter was in Novocaine (2001) with Kevin Bacon
Source (http://www.cs.virginia.edu/oracle/)

cityrecord
06-03-2006, 07:53 AM
Where to start?

Buddy Holly, The Sonics, Minor Threat, The Kinks, Count Basie, Hank Williams Sr., Husker Du, Minutemen, Buck Owens, Sleater-Kinney, Skatalites, The Clash, King Tubby, Big Joe Turner, Toots and the Maytals, Thievery Corporation--I could go on and on but I won't.

I also highly recommend the new cd by a friend of mine, details here: http://www.myspace.com/chazandthemotorbikes give "Lost Summer Nite" a listen!

Over that blog I did a best albums by Boston bands post which ended up being a lot of fun. Note: I did not say best album by a band named Boston. There is no best album by a band named Boston.

DudeUrSistersHot
06-03-2006, 10:11 AM
its outdated, but...

this was copied from my subprofile

van halen
cheap trick
the band
billy joel
jimi hendrix
steppenwolf
rolling stones
acdc
boston
journey
kansas
procal harem
bob seger
tom petty
zz top
allman brothers
guns n roses
supertramp
billy squire
u2
queen
csny
aerosmith
bad company
blue oyster cult
bob dylan
bob marley
bruce springstein
david bowie
doors
eagles
grateful dead
j giles band
led zeppelin
lynyrd skynyrd
pink floyd
standells
stevie ray vaughn
the clash
the who
the cars
roundabout

some more recent addtions:
guster, oar, pinback, red hot chilli peppers, bare naked ladies, gin blossoms, some dropkick murphys

LeTaureau
06-03-2006, 04:21 PM
Where to start?

Buddy Holly, The Sonics, Minor Threat, The Kinks, Count Basie, Hank Williams Sr., Husker Du, Minutemen, Buck Owens, Sleater-Kinney, Skatalites, The Clash, King Tubby, Big Joe Turner, Toots and the Maytals, Thievery Corporation--I could go on and on but I won't.

I also highly recommend the new cd by a friend of mine, details here: http://www.myspace.com/chazandthemotorbikes give "Lost Summer Nite" a listen!

Over that blog I did a best albums by Boston bands post which ended up being a lot of fun. Note: I did not say best album by a band named Boston. There is no best album by a band named Boston.

You've got a lot of good picks. I love the Skatalites. They tour quite frequently and are always a fun show.

vanshnookenraggen
06-05-2006, 11:16 AM
It's refreshing to have a music thread where I actually know the bands. God damn hipsters!!

Beton Brut
06-05-2006, 03:31 PM
Okay -- I'll bite:

House of Love, Galaxie 500/Luna, Joy Division, Pixies, Radiohead, Stone Roses, Charlatans, Sugarcubes/Bjork, Dead Kennedys, Butthole Surfers, Fountains of Wayne, Buffalo Tom, KRS-One/Boogie Down Productions, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Clash, Public Enemy, PJ Harvey, Bauhaus, Birthday Party/Nick Cave, Jane's Addiction, Sonic Youth, Beastie Boys, Mercury Rev, Low, Red House Painters, Saint Etienne, Jesus & Mary Chain, Mogwai...

Such is the curse of a college radio veteran...

garbribre
06-05-2006, 04:29 PM
Except for a brief listing by kz, where's the Motown, R&B, Soul?!?

And what, no bubblegum, glam rock?!

I listen to most anything. Love pure pop as much as I like esoteric jazz, tribal and even...(gasp!) disco. (Nile Rogers and Don Was can produce anything they want.)

And did anyone mention Zappa?
(I'm another product of a college radio, when it counted, in the 70s.)

statler
06-05-2006, 04:34 PM
Okay -- I'll bite:

House of Love, Galaxie 500/Luna, Joy Division, Pixies, Radiohead, Stone Roses, Charlatans, Sugarcubes/Bjork, Dead Kennedys, Butthole Surfers, Fountains of Wayne, Buffalo Tom, KRS-One/Boogie Down Productions, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Clash, Public Enemy, PJ Harvey, Bauhaus, Birthday Party/Nick Cave, Jane's Addiction, Sonic Youth, Beastie Boys, Mercury Rev, Low, Red House Painters, Saint Etienne, Jesus & Mary Chain, Mogwai...

Such is the curse of a college radio veteran...

You truly are my people.

Beton Brut
06-05-2006, 04:43 PM
Garbribre --

It counted in the 80's too...Still does if you listen to WERS, WMBR, and WHRB (all available on the web)...

I dig Zappa (kz1000ps dropped him on page 1 of the thread) -- my fave is The Thing-fish: FZ at his most offensive and inventive...

As for glam, I'm all about Bowie, Roxy Music, and early Brian Eno...Both British Sea Power and Placebo do a pretty good contemporary interpretation of glam...

As I read through my list (culled from my iPod), I'll offer a few others:

Talking Heads, The Catherine Wheel, Spiritualized, Underworld, X, Grant Lee Buffalo, Interpol, The Editors, Pavement, and The Smiths...

Roxxma
06-05-2006, 08:24 PM
I forgot to add Bjork (http://youtube.com/watch?v=41iySHgV_iI&search=french%20bjork)!

Looks from the video like she's put on a little weight over the years though..

BostonSkyGuy
06-05-2006, 11:57 PM
I'll toss in my two pennies, for shits and giggles.

I listen to basically everything and I'm not one of those people who says that because they have no favorite bands/artists or because they want to seem really cool and fit in with everyone.

Here's the list of what's around my computer, my stereo and what's in my car:

Radiohead, The Dandy Warhols, Nas, Sublime, Rage Against the Machine, K's Choice, The Steve Miller Band, A Perfect Circle, Audioslave, The Black Crows, City Sleeps, Imogen Heap, John Legend, Kanye West, Mr. Lif, Akrobatik, T.I., Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Killers, Jay-Z, Jane's Addiction, Jeff Buckley, Dave Matthews Band, Sting & the Police, Common, 2-Pac...I could go on for ever.

Now most of these aren't full albums. I mostly make copies of songs I like and throw them onto CD's so that I don't have to carry around 1,000 CD's with me at a time. But I do own most of these artists/bands full albums.

BostonSkyGuy
06-06-2006, 12:02 AM

I'm pumped I'm not the only one who listens to Jeff Buckley. I really like his stuff, most of my friends have never heard of him--so I'm glad you guys are into him too.

I've heard most of, if not all of the versions of Hallelujah and I think I like Jeff Buckley's best.

DudeUrSistersHot
06-06-2006, 09:46 PM
Radiohead, The Dandy Warhols, Nas, Sublime, Rage Against the Machine, K's Choice, The Steve Miller Band, A Perfect Circle, Audioslave, The Black Crows, City Sleeps, Imogen Heap, John Legend, Kanye West, Mr. Lif, Akrobatik, T.I., Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Creedence Clearwater Revival, The Killers, Jay-Z, Jane's Addiction, Jeff Buckley, Dave Matthews Band, Sting & the Police, Common, 2-Pac...I could go on for ever.

right on

kz1000ps
06-07-2006, 11:43 AM
Except for a brief listing by kz, where's the Motown, R&B, Soul?!?

And what, no bubblegum, glam rock?!

I listen to most anything. Love pure pop as much as I like esoteric jazz, tribal and even...(gasp!) disco. (Nile Rogers and Don Was can produce anything they want.)

And did anyone mention Zappa?
(I'm another product of a college radio, when it counted, in the 70s.)

Hey I definitely mentioned Zappa...I was just listening to "Any Way The Wind Blows" earlier...and speaking of college radio, how about the Mahavishnu Orchestra??

And I'm with you on disco. Most of my musical tastes come from the 70s, because I'm a drummer, and by the early 80s drum machines were pretty much everywhere, and they feel like, well, machines. My favorite drummer was one of a few guys credited with creating the disco beat. I loooove disco

Herbie Mann, Ashford & Simpson, Roy Ayers, Van McCoy, Hank Crawford, Michael Jackson's "Off the Wall", Stuff

Sorry, no glam rock for me.

garbribre
06-07-2006, 02:28 PM
...how about the Mahavishnu Orchestra??

And I'm with you on disco. Most of my musical tastes come from the 70s, because I'm a drummer, and by the early 80s drum machines were pretty much everywhere, and they feel like, well, machines. My favorite drummer was one of a few guys credited with creating the disco beat. I loooove disco

Herbie Mann, Ashford & Simpson, Roy Ayers, Van McCoy, Hank Crawford, Michael Jackson's "Off the Wall", Stuff

Sorry, no glam rock for me.

Couldn't you argue that disco was the bastard child of glam and salsa, no shuffle, no...wait, I'm mixing up my styles.

And Billy Preston died yesterday...somebody who is often overlooked.

So, who is your fave drummer?

I always liked session man Steve Gadd for his steady subtlety and versatility, and that guy who did all the Motown sessions....his name escapes me now.

bowesst
06-08-2006, 12:22 AM
Despite originally being turned off by his popularity with the teeny bopper crowd, I discovered a few years ago that Jason Mraz is an immensely talented and original artist. Here is a link to the song the first got me listening to him if anyone is interested.

https://wfs.bc.edu/bowesst/ab/music/ZeroPercentInterest.mp3

If anyone does listen I'd be interested to know what you thought of it.

kz1000ps
06-08-2006, 12:36 AM
STEVE GADD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
is without a doubt my favorite. Disco, funk, jazz, latin, rock, blues, pop....he did and STILL does it all!!

The subtleties, creativity, and the fact that he's soooooooo behind the beat and grooving, make him the best drummer alive.

Speaking of Billy Preston (RIP), him and Gadd have (had) been in Eric Clapton's band together for five years now, although Gadd has been with Clapton since '96. How coincidental Billy's and Steve's names come up in the same post at this point in time.

AND...if you don't believe me, check my website myspace page to see how many times Gadd's name appears on it (3). And check out my drumming while yer at it..

--

As for the motown guy, you're either speaking of Al Jackson (Stax, Booker T) or Bernard "Pretty" Purdie (Aretha)....either of which certainly have their own pages in the Drumming Bible also.

cityrecord
06-08-2006, 04:54 AM
Benny Benjamin was the first great Motown session drummer.

kz1000ps
06-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Doh, you're right. I shoulda known that.

garbribre
06-26-2006, 08:18 PM
No matter what you think of him and his stable of artists, he certainly had a profound effect on the pop music world. And he was a Berklee alumnus.

tobyjug
07-24-2008, 11:27 PM
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/tobyjug_2008/1eb246f0.gif

Lrfox
07-25-2008, 06:33 AM
^Jonas Brothers?

tobyjug
07-25-2008, 10:37 AM
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/tobyjug_2008/ryanandtoby-1-1-1-1.jpg

Important Toby Tip To My Young Jonas Bros. Listening Friend:

PLAY AS LOUD AS YOU DARE!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4UY8SAxFZw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VClU5OW31I0&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8nFzryJW18

Edit: I see that the second video is "no longer available". Bull. Go to youtube and type in Yardbirds Dazed And Confused. Look for the video with the goofy French host.

Lrfox
07-25-2008, 08:39 PM
Hahaha. Thanks. for the record, I was kidding about the Jonas Brothers thing, but thanks for the videos, I particularly liked Jimmy Page in France. Being 22, I discuss with many of my friends, "who are the most influential musicians of our generation?" We find ourselves listening to older music (read: pre-1985), and one of my best buddies has every Led Zepplin symbol tattooed somewhere on his body.

Aside from a VERY select few, I can't see too many post 1990 musicians/bands being too influential in the way that many pre-1990 musicians/bands have. I can think of a few (since 1990) including Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Dave Matthews, maybe Green Day, and a few others; but it's really a sad time for modern music.

tobyjug
07-25-2008, 09:38 PM
I know you were kidding! As for post 85 or 90 music, some day you'll look back and say "hey, it wasn't as bad as I remembered"!

Check out the Yardbirds "Little Games" and "Live at the Anderson Theatre" albums. It is Zeppelin before Zeppelin.

Page is great, but for me, it will be Hendrix all day long. And if you want to jump off from there, try Miles Davis albums from "Big Fun" and thereafter. (Jazz purists will hate you!) Carlos Santana of that era has the same vibe, even if the music is a little nervous and Carlos doesn't play more than 3 or 4 chords.

And if you want to support your local rockers, check out Quincy born (and senior citizen) Dick Dale and his last 3 or 4 albums. He isn't called the father of heavy metal for nothing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UmmbF1Zyvk&feature=related

The Man Who Laughs
07-29-2008, 03:37 PM
I'm a big Dropkick Murphys guy. I started listening to them when I heard their song ("I'm Shipping Up To Boston") in The Departed.